Ranger FORCE - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 155387
On my groups way out there were two sherrifs hiding behind a rock just waiting I hit the trail to get away from them not to be afraid of the richards hiding behind rocks.
95 ex-cabber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 72297
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyxj View Post
I remember WAY back in the day when we wheeled together it was non stop beer the whole trip for you guys.
Now that club was not crazy at all, but i am just upset because those days are gone. were you guys rowdy and drunk?? no, but would you of gotten a DUI. Yea..
And I remember what the trail was like before the explosion of traffic, when the box was still passable to a mild rig and the welcome sign was up in the trees.

Quite frankly, I wasn't terribly happy when the massive increase of people came through in the late 90's and early 2000's. Watching what happened to Spider and the box was hard to stomach, and it was obviously not sustainable.

So answer me this Stoney, have you ever stopped to think that not everyone who four wheels wants to trailer their rig to loon, wheel in for the day, get hammered, drive around on the box flipping their rig and have their junk and fluids fly out all over the place? Before the big rocks were added in there, it was a much different crowd that came through.

From my perspective, the four wheeling is a fun way to get to my favorite places to camp, to fish and to hike. To others its the only reason to be out there, to wheel and party. I can tell you that the LEO's are there for the second group of people that I mentioned, and more specifically those who want to do both at the same time.

Just keep this in mind when you feel down about things not being the way they used to be - Some of us have felt like that for 15 years already.

Last edited by Sisyphus; 07-14-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #128 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84pickup View Post
He moved his truck 10ft to let someone get by. He was being cooperative and the ranger was being an asshole. He passed all of the test on an off camber slab but blew over a .08.
Like I said before, know the law. It is easy to find on the intard net these days. you do not even have to drive, you just have to show intent to drive. Does not matter if you ever turn the ignition.

Was the guy an asshole because he was doing his job? Does it matter if it is on the Rubicon or in a bar parking lot? Shouldn't.

If you were at camp, where you were drinking, the rig should have been put in the correct place off the side of the trail. Before he had consumed enough to blow a high reading.

I suspect there is more to this story than what has been told. I am hearing one side of it and hope to hear the full story after the hearing before a judge.

Not trying to be argumentative, just sayin that maybe things are not as they seem.

I have gotten a speeding ticket and the cop was writing as he walked up to my window. He did not care what my story was. I had to live with that and just be unhappy to myself. Ranting about it would have done nothing, I know the law. If he is writing, it is a done deal.

I'll give you a clue. This friend of yours should know the law when he goes before the judge. It may get him off the hook.

Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013
ReElected RTF Director Dec 2017

cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 4565
Send a message via AIM to stoneyxj
I am glad you asked..

I believe there is a place for the family man jeeper and the trailer queen on the trail. There are more than enough places to get away from the loud crowd.
For someone that drives there rig to the trail, why do you even want to camp near the box? Buck is quieter and more mellow. Even before soup on top of the hill is a nice campsite.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #130 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
Man, how times have changed.
Iím going to the Rubicon to get away......yea, right. Not anymore.

There is too much big brother on the trail that is in the middle of the woods IMO.
What a waist of money and resources.

It is sad that society's rules are based on the actions of the dumbest few.
Bear, I get your point. I get the point that the original poster, Stoneyxj made. I know you have been involved in this as long as I have or more since 2003. You must have seen the writing on the wall, in fact, I bet there are many posts by you saying just what you are now.

I know exactly where you like to go and why you will be upset when it changes. The Rubicon for me is not a place to go in the summer to get away from people. It is a place to go to get away from my day to day routine. It used to be a place for me to get away from people in the winter. I have lost that now too.

That said, I have not seen you up there in quite some time. Miss ya man.

scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013
ReElected RTF Director Dec 2017

cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 72297
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyxj View Post
I am glad you asked..

I believe there is a place for the family man jeeper and the trailer queen on the trail. There are more than enough places to get away from the loud crowd.
For someone that drives there rig to the trail, why do you even want to camp near the box? Buck is quieter and more mellow. Even before soup on top of the hill is a nice campsite.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Once upon a time, Spider was a great place to camp.

The point I was making is that things have been changing for a long time before this. It's been a sad process to watch and participate in, that's all I'm getting at.
Sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
Once upon a time, Spider was a great place to camp.

The point I was making is that things have been changing for a long time before this. It's been a sad process to watch and participate in, that's all I'm getting at.
Understand! but last time I looked it still was a great place to camp. You just can't park where you camp.

The whole jest of the thread was users are seeing an increase in LEO's which = tickets as they do their job.

The whole point of this forum is too talk about ways to keep the trail open, solve trail problems, and get involved in the management of our public lands.

If you want to keep tabs on the LEO's buy a radio
Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #133 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
Last time I checked there is no camping on the sores of spider
Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #134 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Last time I checked there is no camping on the shores of spider
You can camp anywhere, you just can't drive your rig to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #135 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
I seem to remember a no camping order on spider? It came about when there was to much poopie matter in the water. Did they cancel it? If so that is awesome!!

Last edited by Pat; 07-14-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #136 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
Someone please answer this:

The unsuspecting 4 wheeler parks his rig accidently off the 25ft centerline, either too close or too far? And now has set up camp, throws a few cold ones back and a LEO tells him to move his rig and the 4 wheeler refuses based on the fact that he has had a few. The guy gets a ticket, the rig stays where parked till morning and all is OK?
oldtimingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #137 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1602
I'd take a parking ticket over a DUI any day. No brainer.

87 Grand National for sale. Modified

66 Welder Bill't Bronco Rockbuggy
2018 ZL1
06 Dodge 2500 Cummins
87 Grand National stock
65 Vista Cruiser GN Turbo V6 powered

*SOLD*
75 Ramcharger 440, blah, blah
*SOLD*
440-fide Ramcharger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #138 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Someone please answer this:

The unsuspecting 4 wheeler parks his rig accidently off the 25ft centerline, either too close or too far? And now has set up camp, throws a few cold ones back and a LEO tells him to move his rig and the 4 wheeler refuses based on the fact that he has had a few. The guy gets a ticket, the rig stays where parked till morning and all is OK?
Pick your poison. screwed if you do screwed if you dont. you unfortunately have to take the lesser of the two evils and hope you are sharp enough to catch yourself before you try and do the cordial thing. Unfortunately this is the case and way things will be until it cools off up there it wont be long until this comes to other local trails if people keep up the semantics on the F trail

Dusty

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA,
and some

I miss my

Support Frank the Tank

Last edited by ddestruel; 07-14-2010 at 05:12 PM.
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 156426
Thumbs up

I have been following this post and I just want to thank all the people who have worked so hard to keep the trail open.

I am new to offroading on trails like the con and am very grateful to the people who have worked so hard to keep it open. I hope that it never closes it is beautiful and so much fun.

What scares me is the real possiblity of being shut down by the actions of our own offroad community. I have seen the action in the box and I would bet that if local news agencies started playing that crap it would be all over for us. Hopefully we will all never be screwed out of it by own community of offroaders actions or lack of action.

I guess I think of 4 wheeling like golf...why party while you do it...its hard enough already.
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #140 (permalink)
4x4 Consultant

Member # 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila View Post
Bear, I get your point. I get the point that the original poster, Stoneyxj made. I know you have been involved in this as long as I have or more since 2003. You must have seen the writing on the wall, in fact, I bet there are many posts by you saying just what you are now.

I know exactly where you like to go and why you will be upset when it changes. The Rubicon for me is not a place to go in the summer to get away from people. It is a place to go to get away from my day to day routine. It used to be a place for me to get away from people in the winter. I have lost that now too.

That said, I have not seen you up there in quite some time. Miss ya man.

scott
You havent lost your winter wheeling.........you go all the time Scott.

Special Thanks to YUKON, BAJA DESIGNS.
UGET IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 57128
I have seen no evidence of cops out for blood, as accused on the first page.
I have carefully read every single post before posting this.

Someone had to move their truck - why? When I park in a legit spot while driving sober, there is no reason for me to move later. If it has to move and I've been drinking, the keys will go to my wife or someone that has not been drinking. If a cop asks me to move it, I'll hand him my keys.

Quick question: Has anyone been arrested for public intoxication? No, you say? Well, if the cops were out for blood - that would be the very first easy thing to nail people on if they wanted to be jerks about it.

Seems like every citation and arrest was lawful and warranted. Seems like the cops are doing their job as they should. I'm still waiting to hear of even one remotely questionable contact...

I'd like to do a ride-along and see first hand the interaction between cops and wheelers out there. When you see a guy wearing the FOTR shirt, remember I'm not a cop. I'm the one that is trying to maintain this friendship between us and our groups in the best interest of the future of the trail and how it will impact our children.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 18320
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGET IT View Post
You havent lost your winter wheeling.........you go all the time Scott.
I think he meant he lost the ability to get away from people, not wheeling. Seems reasonable since they shut down the rest of the forest in the winter.
elarsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 57128
As an afterthought, my post may appear unsympathetic. This is not the case. I do feel bad for the guy that got the DUI for just moving his truck because most DUIs we consider someone to be actually out and about "driving" rather than just moving a truck quickly. But technically, it falls under the law in that light regardless, and as such, while I feel bad for the guy, we can't point a finger of blame at the cops.

Just wanted to clarify that.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 70028
Here u go yota up, october my brother rolls his jeep in the box at night smashes his windshield frame and cracks the windshield bad, while driving out the next morning going down slabs were stopped by two leos who question everything about our rigs, reg/ins/seatbelts empty beer cans in a garbage bag inside my truck everything, and finally write my brother a ticket for a cracked windshield. Theres an asshole confrontatiob for you. If theres any possible way to get these f.leos off the trail iam there 100percent. And the guy that got the dui last weekend in the box was already warned about drinking and driving open beer, i think he had it coming.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash440 View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!! for ALL you guys do to keep it open for us. If not for you hard working folks that stood up, took charge and LEARNED alot in the last 6yrs we would not still have this trail.

We all need to join these groups, spend time with them on the clean ups and get to the meetings to show our true numbers of responsible wheelers. I just wish the meetings were on weekends for us with a bit of a drive and work schedules to contend with

were still short people for this weekends clean up come help.......
food and good times... right...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 6359
!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 13807
Send a message via AIM to Crash440
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeod View Post
were still short people for this weekends clean up come help.......
food and good times... right...
if we weren't scheduled to see sb's family in Apple Valley this weekend would be at the cleanup....um well, wait....we did find out tonight he has 3 hairline breaks in his ankle and foot from last weekends comp at Donner so either way I guess we would not have made this cleanup

we plan on making some of the cleanups tho. they are VERY Important and I hate missing them.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 131716
I was down there on the 4th weekend. thought the rangers were great. wrote a fire pirmit on the spot had a nice chat etc. the dudes with guns I dont know if they were cops or what witnesed some ''minor'' drinking infractions and seemed to turn a blind eye. they didnt do anything to dampen the mood. I think a little common sence goes a long way. sorry for bad spelling

Last edited by cruzila; 07-16-2010 at 01:48 AM.
seanyrotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 11635
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyrotten View Post
I was down there on the 4th weekend. thought the rangers were great. wrote a fire pirmit on the spot had a nice chat etc. the dudes with guns I dont know if they were cops or what witnesed some ''minor'' drinking infractions and seemed to turn a blind eye. they didnt do anything to dampen the mood. I think a little common sence goes a long way. sorry for bad spelling
You guys were heading in as we were heading out. I have the red and black Scout/scuggy. Good meeting you guys.

Last edited by cruzila; 07-16-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #150 (permalink)
4x4 Consultant

Member # 227
I am glad they are on the trail.............never had an issue. Officer marcus...........hes another story all together.

Special Thanks to YUKON, BAJA DESIGNS.
UGET IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in