Ranger FORCE - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 65068
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGET IT View Post
I am glad they are on the trail.............never had an issue. Officer marcus...........hes another story all together.
We've also never had a problem with any of them. Officer Marcus once gave us a ticket and a warning (a deserved one) and has been pleasant ever since.

Going back to basics... You're going to have to catch us.
Redheck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 52
Wow..... Nice thread. Years ago everyone was crying about not having LEO's on the trail to control the knucklehead behavior and drinking. I think it is great that some folks wont attend "the party", cuz they cant handle their liquor. End result is trash, spills, broken parts, white flowers etc left behind, not to mention the boom boom at 3am.

Crap that scares me is the PC issue. I will pick up cans and bottles along the trail and just toss them in the back of my rig. Now I have to make sure I put them in a garbage sack, out of view. I could go on and on but I wont.

Having over zealous officers on the trail ruins it for me. I really hope it really is not like that at all, but if that is what it takes to keep the trail open along with y'alls efforts, then great.

I remember leaving the camp at the back of Spider one Mem weekend, just about the last to leave, and I could not pack out all of the trash bags full, broken table and chairs etc, and I was towing my trailer. It was awful.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 57128
The straw that broke my back last year came from the haybales that were run over(pardon the pun). Waking up, seeing straw everywhere and tucked into the springs of a particular truck really pissed me off. I'm too old to punch people in the face nowadays, so I'm glad the law is out there to at least provide a watered-down level of satisfaction.

Silver: It's my understanding that windshield issues like yours are ok ON the trail, but if you hit pavement(even shared use between spillway and Chalet) - you need to be street legit.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 37026
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila View Post
Was the guy an asshole because he was doing his job? Does it matter if it is on the Rubicon or in a bar parking lot? Shouldn't.
ya, there is a difference to me. he's not gunna pull out of the parking lot into an intersection and take out an innocent family in there mini van and kill a child or drive his car off the road into someones house. thats where some leniency should be had.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #155 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
My one and only EDNF encounter:

Last year met these two ladies as we were creeping along just before soup bowl. The one on left approached my driver side and stopped and so did I. The one on left came to me and the one on right went around and stood at passenger window. The left one was friendly and chatty, but the one on right was sour in attitude and seemed really grumpy. Maybe the game is good cop/bad cop? One on left came in real close to me and did a visual inspection of the cab-- asking having a good time?yes. Have anything to drink today? -no. Then the interesting-- You don't have any guns or drugs do you? --no. Is your registration and insurance current? yes, you can look at the rear plate if you wish. Do you have wag bags? Of course!
Not intrusive and it lasted about 3 minutes and the one on left was friendly, but in a stern, stand offish business-like friendly. The one on right was all business and not friendly at all. Not that we minded but this informal search and screening was an interesting experience. I do not know for sure whether FPOs can force a traffic stop... We drove fwd and the two then went up the rig behind me and we learned got the same questions and approach format.

Only other Le experience was on Trek when the dickless tracy(in what looked like SWAT gear) popped out from behind a tree between WH 5 and meadow lake , approached and asked if we had been drinking. --no, and off we drove and back behind the tree she went.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by renolaw; 07-15-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typos
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #156 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
My one and oly encounter:

Last year met these two ladies as we were creeping along just before soup bowl. The one on left approached my driver side and stopped and so did I. The one on left came to me and the one on right went around and stood at passenger window. The left one was friendly and chatty, but the one on right was sour in attitude and seemed really grumpy. Maybe the game is good cop/bad cop? One on left came in real close to me and did a visual inspection of the cab-- asking having a good time?yes. Have anything to drink today? -no. Then the interesting-- You don't have any guns or drugs do you? --no. Is your registration and insurance current? yes, you can look at the rear plate if you wish. Do you have wag bags? Of course!
Not intrusive and it lasted about 3 minutes and the one on left was friendly, but in a stern, stand offish business-like friendly. The one on right was all business and not friendly at all. Not that we minded but this informal search and screening was an interesting experience. I do not know for sure whether FPOs can force a traffic stop... We drove fwd and the two then went up the rig behind me and we learned got the same questions and approach format.

I miss those two little miss sunshine's - gawd they were an asset to our trail and the experience!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 24859
The gal with the pink bandana is awesome period. She has introduced herself and another newby ranger last year and when we camped at Loon a little off the road at boat ramp she was nice and let us move the RV to a desired location. I have never been hassled on any run in with the law up there. IMO it is not long before it is street legal vehicles only on the trail. Enjoy the place and support it.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 70028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post

Silver: It's my understanding that windshield issues like yours are ok ON the trail, but if you hit pavement(even shared use between spillway and Chalet) - you need to be street legit.

No, if you have a street legal rig and you happend to smash your windshield on the con you will get a ticket on the con thats what happend!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #159 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
Quote:

FWIW those two were nothing but nice and pleasant to me the couple times I ran across them last year.
JV rally post #31.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 85302
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversas13 View Post
No, if you have a street legal rig and you happend to smash your windshield on the con you will get a ticket on the con thats what happend!
tickets are a pain, no doubt about that. but if you know that it's undeserved, write a thoughtful letter explaining yourself to the judge (trial by written declaration) explaining the situation and submit evidence that shows it was undeserved. in your case, picture of the rig on the trail, maybe a picture of it on the trailer to show it was never going to be on the street with a busted windshield, excerpts from the CVC, etc...

it worked for me when i was ticketed by Ken Marcus.

link to CVC = http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm
Will.The.Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #161 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
i did not mean to imply they were not nice-- they were strictly business and not chatty, altho they were cool enough to let me snap the pic-- i asked permission of course.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

Old 07-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 94823
our UC4x4 group going through in august met up with those two and they were great. nothing but chatty fun. they did ask the questions they had to but they both had a big smile on thier face the whole time. I hope they are still up there.
drkhrs925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #163 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
Quote:
i did not mean to imply they were not nice-- they were strictly business and not chatty, altho they were cool enough to let me snap the pic-- i asked permission of course.

They just thought you were a dirty old man trying to hit on them is all...
Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversas13 View Post
Yet another benefit to having a green-sticker, or dual registration!

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 9246
Send a message via Yahoo to rckjeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyxj View Post
i minded my P's and Q's but seriously i don't go camping to really mind my P's and Q's.
A lot of people bring their kids to enjoy the outdoors. Not to mention make future responisble wheelers. I hate going out to the woods and seeing some jackass not being respectful of others. If I wanted to see a shit ton of people, most of which are cursing up a storm acting like drunk ****tards I'd go to a bar.

Now, I'm not saying you are one of those people. I've never met you and make no judgement about you. Just making a point that not everyone is up at the Con for the same reason you are and we should all respect each other.

Last edited by Bebe; 07-15-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: swearing
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #166 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
A lot of people bring their kids to enjoy the outdoors. Not to mention make future responisble wheelers. I hate going out to the woods and seeing some jackass not being respectful of others. If I wanted to see a shit ton of people, most of which are cursing up a storm acting like drunk ****tards I'd go to a bar.

Now, I'm not saying you are one of those people. I've never met you and make no judgement about you. Just making a point that not everyone is up at the Con for the same reason you are and we should all respect each other.

So I guess you agree with the left and the environMENTALISTS ? Close more sections of the trail, outlaw areas to be driven on "rocks" Granite slabs" and make everyone camp right on top of eachother... That really makes sense now doesn't it.

Instead of allowing us to camp where we want, drive up granite slabs of rocks, park our rigs "outside" of the so called areas they want us to be in... Just seems to me, they have taken away so much access already, we have no choice then to camp even closer to each other and have to listen to other people..
But since your heart is bleeding that bad, and you feel the need to have someone watch over you everywhere you go, you agree and support 7 cops to patrol an area where they have No real reason to be, other than to pass out DUI's in the woods, where the top speed you'll ever drive is 8-10 mph. Each one of those DUI's and tickets they pass out, pays 10+ times for them to be there.

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!

You can see it in EVERY aspect of Government. You people think compromising with them is going to somehow allow us to keep the land open???? Your %^&^* Wrong!!! The seirra club and Crazy F-upd people who want this closed have NOTHING better to do than to make us conform to their inner $%^up feelings of power.

They talk about oil this, and human crap contamination that??? How much oil do you think it took to Pave HWY 50? Or HWY 80? You've never heard of them complain about that? They love to just drive their zippy little priuses but can't coincide how detrimental building all those roads were to begin with. And to maintain.

Stand your ground and don't compromise one bit!!! The other side NEVER has and NEVER will. They will fight until this little bit of fun is all gone. In the name of Global Warming, or . ..... I mean Global climate change . .. .. or I mean the Liberal Left Power Hungry Agenda!

"Just spread the wealth around... its good for everyone..."

In the name of FREEDOM! Stop Conforming!

NorCal REAL ESTATE BROKER - yes I know you need a shop & RV parking...

DRE#01842743

Last edited by cruzila; 07-16-2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: swearing in quote
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 85302
i don't like having cops breathing down my neck or hiding behind rocks any more than the next guy, but what i like even less is that it has basically become necessary because of the lack of respect some (very few) people show on the trail by littering, getting hammered drunk, and polluting. true, that in the grand scheme of things when we go crusin around on the rocks we will be held disproportionately accountable for the amount of damage (or perceived damage) we cause when compared to public works projects like a freeway or when compared to BP but that's how it is for the "small people" ... clearly the best solution is to show respect and promote respect on the trail, if none of the enviroMENTALists are given a reason to complain, they'll move on and bother some other sport/hobby, like mountain bikers or boaters or who knows, they live for finding fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
But since your heart is bleeding that bad, and you feel the need to have someone watch over you everywhere you go, you agree and support 7 cops to patrol an area where they have No real reason to be, other than to pass out DUI's in the woods, where the top speed you'll ever drive is 8-10 mph. Each one of those DUI's and tickets they pass out, pays 10+ times for them to be there.
anyways. you're blowing a lot of stuff way out of proportion. the only winners in a DUI are lawyers and insurance companies...the state doesn't collect much money according to this they get about $1,200

* Minimum fine: $ 390
* Penalty Assessment: $ 666
* State Restitution Fund: $ 100
* Alcohol-Abuse Education Fund: $ 50
* Blood or Breath-Testing Fee: $ 37
* Jail Cite-and-Release Fee: $ 10
* Driving/Alcohol-Awareness School: $ 375 (16 weeks minimum)
* License Reissue Fee: $ 100
* Attorney Fees (average): $ 2,500
* Auto Insurance Increase: $ 3,600 - $6,600
(The Auto Club estimates $2,200 a year for 3 years)

* Total $7,828 - $10,828

http://www.friendsdrivesober.org/alc...st_of_dui.html

Last edited by Will.The.Thrill; 07-15-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: more stuff to say
Old 07-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
Stop Conforming!
I really like this statement.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 52
Quote:
My one and only EDNF encounter:

Only other Le experience was on Trek when the dickless tracy(in what looked like SWAT gear) popped out from behind a tree between WH 5 and meadow lake , approached and asked if we had been drinking. --no, and off we drove and back behind the tree she went.
So you are not allowed to have a firearm while on the trail?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #170 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Someone please answer this:

The unsuspecting 4 wheeler parks his rig accidently off the 25ft centerline, either too close or too far? And now has set up camp, throws a few cold ones back and a LEO tells him to move his rig and the 4 wheeler refuses based on the fact that he has had a few. The guy gets a ticket, the rig stays where parked till morning and all is OK?
Unsuspecting 4wheeler gets a sober individual to move it for him. If no sober individuals in group, politely explain this to the Ranger and ask if he would be kind enough to move it for you as it only needs to be moved a few feet. Thats what i would have done.

Unfortunately, the Glammis crown has found the Rubicon so more LE involvement is forthcoming.

Last edited by desert dogg; 07-15-2010 at 05:36 PM.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So you are not allowed to have a firearm while on the trail?
You should always be armed on the trail. That's another thread though.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 70028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
I really like this statement.
Me to, none conforming, wont do it
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #173 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
even if ur perfectly legal with the firearm, if the driver honestly answers "yes, i have a gun' you can bet the farm you will be asked to exit the rig and get put thru the meat grinder...vehicle search, etc etc.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

Last edited by renolaw; 07-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 85302
Quote:
even if ur perfectly legal with the firearm, if the driver honestly answers "yes, i have a gun' you can bet the farm you will be asked to exit the rig and get put thru the meat grinder...
Meh, I told Ken Marcus I had a 12 gauge in the bed and a knife in the glove box. No search or vehicle exiting took place....

then again if you keep your piece under the drivers seat......
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 13807
Send a message via AIM to Crash440
Quote:
even if ur perfectly legal with the firearm, if the driver honestly answers "yes, i have a gun' you can bet the farm you will be asked to exit the rig and get put thru the meat grinder...vehicle search, etc etc.
what about the "no officer, there is nothing illegal in my vehicle" statement? where does that leave us?

as for conforming I see nothing wrong with spill kits, wag bags and taking ALL your trash and trash that others are too stupid to take out themselves also DUI's are DUMB on and off road so I see no problem their either. the 25ft off the trail, when it is just rocks, now that's a hard one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in