Metal working tools - Page 30 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #726 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
Im having shirts made.

You guys can't buy them or see pics though because I don't have a star.

There you go. Hope that makes ya feel better boss!
Old 10-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #727 (permalink)

Member # 136689
There are more than 7 following this thread. I have been since the beginning and was stoked to see you back posting pictures. I love pictures and tech. Way better on fortuna than fb and Instagram. Those platforms suck, and I'm still under 30 lol.

Thanks for coming back.

Last edited by BigBob13; 10-08-2018 at 03:42 AM.
BigBob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #728 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob13 View Post
There are more than 7 following this thread. I have been since the beginning and was stoked to see you back posting pictures. I love pictures and tech. Way better on fortuna than fb and Instagram. Those platforms suck, and I'm still under 30 lol.

Thanks for coming back.
Thanks dude I appreciate it!

Lets get back to some fun stuff.

Link mounts for a tube chassis. 1.75 at the tube, 2.63 for the heim (I stacked washers because I only had a 7/8" heim and needed an extra 5/8)

Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #729 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
That's a cool design, but the tube does not appear to be strong enough for the mount. I guess it goes on a much heavier tube?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #730 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
That's a cool design, but the tube does not appear to be strong enough for the mount. I guess it goes on a much heavier tube?
Yeah I just grabbed a piece of .120 wall out of my drop bin, all I was told was make it fit 1.75" OD.

The brackets are 1/4" plate.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #731 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Ive spent about a year and a half tweaking this plasma table.

Wish I had just spent $20k on an Arclight or other big name table. I would have been money and time ahead for all this dicking around. Should have listened to everybody that told me just that lol.

I think I'm finally seeing the light though. The big letters on these weld on name plates are about an inch tall and came out damn good IMO.

Also the little circle in the D shaped key ring bottle opener is .15 inch. Fairly impressive for plasma with standard consumables in my opinion. Probably look even better with fine cut consumables.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #732 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Had like a whole week of "NEEDED THESE YESTERDAY" type work lol.

Tuesday night I was asked to quote these prototypes for New Eagle Consulting (they said I could share). They asked if I could make them Wednesday and if they could send somebody 3 hours to pick up.

So I got out of work at 4 and booked it to the shop, had them cut and bent when he got here. I was so nervous all night and day that the power would be out at the shop or something stupid lol.

They are prototype drivetrain mounts for a Ford transit van they are swapping electric motors in.

https://neweagle.net/case-studies/el...an-conversion/

And then when he left I worked on this batch of parts until midnight... I should be part time at my day job in the next few weeks.

Then bent up a few of Shortiron Fabs back blade pump boxes last night. Kevin helped.

Last edited by Deuling; 10-12-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Deuling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #733 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Pretty excited to have these up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRXQpSUNqM

Last edited by Deuling; 10-15-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #734 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
Good to see you back here. I love your work.

Ignore the yellow stars trying to chase you back to IG. Content like yours is the reason people come here.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #735 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
Good to see you back here. I love your work.

Ignore the yellow stars trying to chase you back to IG. Content like yours is the reason people come here.
Thanks dude!

Currently ive been cleaning, got the pallet racks up just have to rent a hilti to put the floor anchors in. Then its clean shop and probably get some more tools once there is floor space.

I'm in need of a mill and a lathe. I've been considering the benchtop stuff to save space but damn spending $3000 on some benchtop shit where I could buy a good old larger machine for half stings a bit....

But the more big company stuff I take the more accuracy they want and being able to mill holes out quickly and cleanup edges etc would be a big advantage.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #736 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
I was told I'm probably one of the first people in public to get one.

And I didn't even get to plug it in last night because I was busy lol.

Miller Multimatic 220 AC/DC TIG, MIG, Stick.

Last edited by Deuling; 11-07-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #737 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
^
I've been meaning to post a "recommend a welder" thread, but that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. The $3k price tag is a little hard to swallow though.

Patiently waiting for a review...
Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #738 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
^
I've been meaning to post a "recommend a welder" thread, but that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. The $3k price tag is a little hard to swallow though.

Patiently waiting for a review...
Yeah its a bummer but its a lot of machine packed in a small package. So I hope its worth it.

Gotta get the Bluetooth pedal on order and a 50' tig lead and ground.

Mig at the bench, tig all around the shop. WINNING

Go to 2:00 mark, they sent Hoonigans one for test a few weeks back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-1iZ9LHhc

Old 12-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #739 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Jeep TJ center console.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #740 (permalink)

Member # 220494
For the back part of the top of the console, how do you get the edges to follow the bend like that without making a relief cut?
broncokyle88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #741 (permalink)

Member # 37016
Relief cut, bend, weld, grind, finish.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #742 (permalink)

Member # 21750
Quote:
I was told I'm probably one of the first people in public to get one.

And I didn't even get to plug it in last night because I was busy lol.

Miller Multimatic 220 AC/DC TIG, MIG, Stick.

I'm curious about this machine. I'm trying to function out of a 2 car garage with 2 cars, a Harley, and a fuck load of tools in it. I saw this machine and I'm thinking about buying it, to replace my Miller 210mig and my Syncro Wave 250. I could really use the space savings. But I'm scared because I was taking to certified welder and he was complaining about how the newer machines are sensitive to the sine waves in the electricity delivered to them. I'm worried about popping the breaker or lossing power suddenly would cause the control panel to malfunction and cost an arm and a leg to fix. I don't know crap about electrical
stuff but was wondering if it's possible to put a surge protector inline to prevent that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #743 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncokyle88 View Post
For the back part of the top of the console, how do you get the edges to follow the bend like that without making a relief cut?
Not sure if I'm understanding what you mean, but this video might help get an idea of how it goes together.

And shows tight of a fit I somehow got with a 50 year old manual press brake

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bquny8egDV5/

The side panels of the box are flat, the front and rear panels have all the bends to them.

Last edited by Deuling; 12-04-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #744 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrattle View Post
I'm curious about this machine. I'm trying to function out of a 2 car garage with 2 cars, a Harley, and a fuck load of tools in it. I saw this machine and I'm thinking about buying it, to replace my Miller 210mig and my Syncro Wave 250. I could really use the space savings. But I'm scared because I was taking to certified welder and he was complaining about how the newer machines are sensitive to the sine waves in the electricity delivered to them. I'm worried about popping the breaker or lossing power suddenly would cause the control panel to malfunction and cost an arm and a leg to fix. I don't know crap about electrical
stuff but was wondering if it's possible to put a surge protector inline to prevent that.
I have no clue on that. But I would skip past the "certified welder" guys advice and go straight to a miller rep for those questions. I find most older guys hate anything new and they would rather see the world keep using dinosaur machines instead of the new tech that far surpasses the old stuff.

For instance my grandfather "That stupid tig welding doesn't hold up for shit, you want a strong joint you need to stick weld it" Sure thing grandpa... lol.

Last edited by Deuling; 12-04-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #745 (permalink)

Member # 21750
Quote:
I have no clue on that. But I would skip past the "certified welder" guys advice and go straight to a miller rep for those questions. I find most older guys hate anything new and they would rather see the world keep using dinosaur machines instead of the new tech that far surpasses the old stuff.

For instance my grandfather "That stupid tig welding doesn't hold up for shit, you want a strong joint you need to stick weld it" Sure thing grandpa... lol.
Lol. Actually the guy is 5yrs younger than I am. I've thought about what you said but they want to sell machines. I tend to trust people in the real world. The reality is, I'm probably just being scared and overthinking it

Btw...nice work!

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #746 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Lol. Actually the guy is 5yrs younger than I am. I've thought about what you said but they want to sell machines. I tend to trust people in the real world. The reality is, I'm probably just being scared and overthinking it

Btw...nice work!
Send it to them in an email form and make them email you back the answers when they respond (I find a lot of people in retail would rather call you on the phone to avoid the paper trail just for that reason). Always get info back in an email, even if they try to call to talk about it.

Then if shits fucked up you have proof to present to them. Also, I'd say go talk to an electrician and not a welder.

I'm just running standard 220 and the welder melts metal together and I've never had an issue yet
Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #747 (permalink)

Member # 228875
Quote:
But I'm scared because I was taking to certified welder and he was complaining about how the newer machines are sensitive to the sine waves in the electricity delivered to them.
That sounds like complete BS. If AC power quality was an issue, we would have problems with the tons of electronics all of use have in our homes and businesses. An Inverter machine converts the incoming line power to DC, so it's not going to affect the welder's output. I've only had an electronics problem once, ( TV & cable box ) with voltage spikes caused by harsh power outage. Even then, it generally won't harm equipment that's not powered up ( even in "standby" mode ).
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #748 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 226263
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
That sounds like complete BS. If AC power quality was an issue, we would have problems with the tons of electronics all of use have in our homes and businesses. An Inverter machine converts the incoming line power to DC, so it's not going to affect the welder's output. I've only had an electronics problem once, ( TV & cable box ) with voltage spikes caused by harsh power outage. Even then, it generally won't harm equipment that's not powered up ( even in "standby" mode ).
Even the Eastwood Tig 200 I had did AC and DC Tig.... Only issue I noticed with that is that it would mess with my computer monitor and sometimes even cause the plasma torch to fire

I was told that they are making all of these cheap inverter welders with cheap transformers and that's how they get the prices down so low. But they are very "Noisy" and send a lot of weird shit through the air. (I unplugged my entire computer from the wall and it ran on the battery back up and still had the same results when torch fired).

Those things were a little annoying, but all it did to the computer is make the screen flicker when you strike an arc, it never broke anything or seemed to cause any real harm. The torch firing on the plasma will make you shit your pants though at 11pm when your upside down in a truck welding tabs to the cage...
Old 12-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #749 (permalink)

Member # 228875
That's something all TIG machines do when you're using high frequency start instead of scratch start. The first time I TIG'd 30 years ago on the big old industrial transformer machine at my plant it scrambled my digital watch. Even keying up the plant radios too close to electronics can make them flicker,

That's not the problem jed mentioned though, he was talking about the house line power supplying the welder causing problems with the welder it's self, or at least that's how I took it.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #750 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
I can't really see the size of that machine. I see the handle. Can it be picked up easily? Or is it like 80lbs? Not that I can't pick up 80 lbs., but you got cables to lug also.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in