Metal garage sound control/dampening - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2015, 11:00 PM  

Member # 80166
Send a message via AIM to stinkbomb
Metal garage sound control/dampening

So I have a 20x30 metal, carport style, garage, 8' walls, 12' peak. Picture for reference.

It's loud as shit inside and I would like to mainly muffle the noise generated inside, not soundproof it. Aside from the obvious, have it sprayed with spray foam insulation, which is pretty damn pricey. A DIY kit will cost $1,200-2,500 and I got quoted $5,350 from a local spray foamer. What are my other options?

I picked up a few rolls of Peel and Seal, it's a roof repair tape, a lot of car audio guys use the shit out of it, since it's basically Dynomat, at literally a fraction of the price. It comes in 33.5' rolls, 6" wide, $16 a roll at Lowe's. I figured a few strips of it up the walls and across the roof should help the reverberation and help contain SOME noise. But I think the results will be rather pathetic and pretty much a waste of time and money. My take was, if it doesn't work, whatever, I can spray foam over it, since it's only 3/32" thick.

I don't really want to sheathe the inside with osb either, since the posts are 54" apart, the amount of scrap and cutting will just waste my time and money.

There has to be another viable option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

919-672-2705

stinkbomb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 PM  

Member # 168651
If you did want to sheet with OSB they do make 9' and 10' long sheets...9' =108" which should work good for you if you wanted to go that route...

-mt-
07thommi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2015, 04:26 AM  

Member # 189302
Spray foam is expensive, but probably your best bet.

My biggest concern would be moisture. If you seal it up, it could trap moisture when it sweats. Then you'd really have a mess.
FleshEater is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 AM  

Member # 70148

What about liquid nailing 2'x4' drop ceiling celotex onto the inside? You can usually get them for free and they are flame retardant.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 AM  
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Ahhhh the age ol how to finish the inside of a metal building delima.

8' tall 2x4 wall and Sheetrock is probably the most cost effective.
camo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 09:48 AM  

Member # 80166
I'm not really looking to "finish" the inside, just something to quiet it down from the outside. I have a few neighbors, they're not real close, but I'm in the sticks, so at 8pm-on, it's really quiet. I don't want to piss anyone off and draw unwanted attention while I'm working at midnight-2-3am either.

I mean, I'll be wearing earplugs haha should I just drop off a 100-count of earplugs at the neighbor's house and say "wear these after 10pm every night"

And a lot of people have said without any insulation, once I have a heater going, it will rain inside with condensation.

919-672-2705

Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 AM  
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Finish, insulat ....... Same difference.

FYI... Spray foam is a poor sound barrier because it is adhered to the metal skin of the building sound waves pass right through it and then out the metal building skin. By building an interior wall you will create an air gap between the interior and exterior. The air gap is what essentially stops or disperses sound waves, not so much the density of the wall.

By building a 8 foot high wall on 4 sides you are essentially building a chimney for sound waves to escape upwards rather then outwards.

Sound walls are actually fairly complex and takes some engeneering to be effective.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 AM  
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Google sound studio or acoustical walls for more details

A budget way to build a acoustical wall is double studs and to 2 sheets of 5/8 Sheetrock with green glue between the sheet rock.
http://www.greengluecompany.com/prod...oofing-sealant
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM  

Member # 80166
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post

FYI... Spray foam is a poor sound barrier because it is adhered to the metal skin of the building sound waves pass right through it and then out the metal building skin. By building an interior wall you will create an air gap between the interior and exterior. The air gap is what essentially stops or disperses sound waves, not so much the density of the wall.

By building a 8 foot high wall on 4 sides you are essentially building a chimney for sound waves to escape upwards rather then outwards.

Sound walls are actually fairly complex and takes some engeneering to be effective.

Well that makes perfect sense, guess the foam would just transfer the sound to the sheet metal, I would be warm, but still loud. Haha Open cell spray foam is a great sound insulator, but it doesn't do well with moisture, it needs a vapor barrier. Either way, for sound or insulating reasons, an air gap needs to be established. The distances between my "studs" is kind of a PITA though. 10' sheets of OSB or plywood would work.

I planned to milk it through this winter, but holy hell would that be a mess if I wire it all and then later on decide to sheathe it...

919-672-2705

Old 10-19-2015, 01:28 PM  
Wish it was my job!

Member # 2134
Send a message via AIM to foley
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post

Correct and incorrect.

Closed cell or "high density" foam, which is what is typically applied to metal buildings is a terrible noise damper.

Open cell or "low density" foam is a fantastic sound damper, much more effective than comparable thickness fiberglass.

Problem: Open cell foam has about 10% of the mechanical strength of closed cell, so it will get beat up on your walls, and you will end up needing to sheet over it with OSB / Drywall / something anyway.

On another note, $5K plus to foam that shop is ridiculous. I'd just about drive out there from Dallas and foam it for that. I would generally bid a homeowner out at about $1800 to foam a building that size with either 1" closed cell or 3.5" open cell.

The only time I've charged those kind of prices was to foam an off grid cabin where I literally factored in taking two 4x4 trucks into the job to have on hand recovery, and assumed I was going to bust an axle off my trailer on the way in and out. I threw $1000 on top of the job to cover all that BS and still came in less than $3 per square foot.

If you have any foam questions shoot me a PM or email ([email protected]). I don't have time to get on Pirate a whole lot these days, but I can certainly give you an unbiased answer since I know the business well and have no intention of actually trying to sell you anything (unless you've relocated from NC to North Texas). We're similar humidity over here so I'm familiar with all the condensation possibilities.

Mike

foley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 PM  
The Piratenite

Member # 4
10-4 on open cell foam, I wasn't even thinking of that as a spray on product but now that you mention it i remember it as a kid, we would sneak into the back of this building and write our names in it with our fingers. We thought it was neat stuff. But like you say, doesn't seem suitable for a shop unless it has some sort of protective layer or a way to keep the kids from writing their names in it...

Open cell foam panels are used in studios as diffusers to tune the rooms resonance. But I don't think that is what the OP had in mind .
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2015, 06:18 PM  
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbomb View Post
The distances between my "studs" is kind of a PITA though. 10' sheets of OSB or plywood would work.

I planned to milk it through this winter, but holy hell would that be a mess if I wire it all and then later on decide to sheathe it...
2x4's and sheetrock are fairly inexpensive, You could just build a sound wall on the side that faces your neighbor.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM  

Member # 343737
i see you pouring a lot of money into making this a better shop
you have a cheap metal enclosed carport and a plywood floor, deal with the noise
save your money for when you build a real shop
_ogre is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 11:55 AM  

Member # 80166
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
i see you pouring a lot of money into making this a better shop
you have a cheap metal enclosed carport and a plywood floor, deal with the noise
save your money for when you build a real shop
Hahaha plywood floor?! Really don't have that much into it, at all. Hell, the concrete was twice as much as what I paid for the used building!

Shop 2.0 is a looong ways down the road, I'm not half ass'ing it to save a minuscule amount of money. Even if it cost $2,000 to insulate it, I'll still be a few hundred under $7,000, for everything I've got into it(minus my labor).

919-672-2705

Old 10-20-2015, 04:43 PM  

Member # 67907
What is the distance between those metal supports?
You could use the 6' or 8' wide batts of insulation that they typically use in steel buildings.
Ive seen it where they run a length of wire along the ceiling to hold it up.

Something like this
https://www.lthsteelstructures.com/insulation

Jeepermat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 PM  

Member # 26164
Where do you have your compressor? I have mine in a separate room outside the shop. It has a floor made from 2x8 treated lumber, T-111 siding and insulation and shingled roof. It is a 240volt unit with an 80 gallon tank. That makes mitigating air tools more straight forward. There are also 4' x 8' aluminum foal backed foam board available. Hang large flags and banners from the 12' at intervals is another way to help break up the sound.

Last edited by Jess James; 10-20-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Jess James is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM  

Member # 80166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepermat View Post
What is the distance between those metal supports?
You could use the 6' or 8' wide batts of insulation that they typically use in steel buildings.
Ive seen it where they run a length of wire along the ceiling to hold it up.

Something like this
https://www.lthsteelstructures.com/insulation
54" between posts, 56-1/8" on centers. For the back 10' of the shop where I added on, they're 2" further apart for the last two sections.

This would be the ticket, in the 6' flavor:
https://www.lthsteelstructures.com/r...ier-insulation

Guess I could use bands like they do in real steel buildings to hold the shit up...

919-672-2705

Last edited by stinkbomb; 10-20-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in