Langmuir Systems CNC Plasma Table - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 64418
Langmuir Systems CNC Plasma Table

Will this be a good buy at $795 + $95? The website says they will begin shipping in June 2018.

http://www.langmuirsystems.com
hamiltja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 82954
you get what you pay for. right now the plasma cnc platform is wide open. tables that were 20k 5 yrs ago are 10k now.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 172087
Bearings on Square Tube... I'm gonna go with no... the Controller is probably Arduino... I am thinking my next table (on top of the two I have already) is going to be a JD2 MAD 5x10... I may up the Star Lab to 6x12 at some point and the 5x5 to a 5x10.
kkroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 64418
Thanks for the feedback. No more than I will use it, I canít rationalize spending $5,000 on a plasma table. I also donít want to waste $900 on something that I wonít be able to use.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8274
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltja View Post
Thanks for the feedback. No more than I will use it, I canít rationalize spending $5,000 on a plasma table. I also donít want to waste $900 on something that I wonít be able to use.
You'd probably be able to use it, but they're essentially keeping the price low by keeping it simple.

I built mine for ~$400 CDN.

They have eliminated a bunch of stuff. They have two drive motors instead of the usual 3 on a 2 axis. (I have one on either end of the gantry.) I'm not sure I like the single side gantry.. if you're working out on the far end, you're going to have a bad sagging moment on that arm.

They've eliminated the Z axis and made it manual. So now we're down to two drivers, two motors. Right away off my $400 I you could drop another $60 off that.

They're also rocking a 2ft by 2ft table.. so now they've eliminated probably 1/2 of the material (steel) costs that I paid out.. so maybe another $100 in steel.

We're down to $240. Add in economies of scale, bulk pricing, some crafty trial and error/engineering, (I had to build, and if there was movement, or sag, or a problem... I just tended to add or subtract bits until I got it to work.) but you could probably find another $50 in efficiencies.

These things don't have to be expensive anymore. Motion control in general is dirt cheap. I could see how these guys are building for $200/unit. Selling for $800.. that's a tidy profit.

Would I use this to cut armor plate for the next Navy Destroyer, hell no, but as a hobbyist, if you don't want to get into the guts of a machine yourself, then it might be a good kit.

That said, if you're buying it with no interest in the hobby CNC side, and you just want to crank out parts, the old addage of ... "Just take your drawings to a machine shop and they can make you your parts for far less then you'd have in a machine." still stands.

I've cut literally $20 worth of parts on my machine.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 214620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
That said, if you're buying it with no interest in the hobby CNC side, and you just want to crank out parts, the old addage of ... "Just take your drawings to a machine shop and they can make you your parts for far less then you'd have in a machine." still stands.

I've cut literally $20 worth of parts on my machine.
Its awesome that you can build a table for such low cost now, and I'd love to have my own, but we have a laser shop next door to office that can generally gut anything I want in 1-2 days for extremely reasonable cost. It's hard to justify.
parkers30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 64418
Inferno, Thank you for the response and cost analysis. I read your $400 plasma table shopping list, and it was very helpful. After reading about your experience, I believe it would be a better approach than buying the Langmuir system.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 51670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

They have eliminated a bunch of stuff. They have two drive motors instead of the usual 3 on a 2 axis. (I have one on either end of the gantry.) I'm not sure I like the single side gantry.. if you're working out on the far end, you're going to have a bad sagging moment on that arm.
They are claiming 0.003 of sag at full extension.

Friend is considering one. Very entry level hobbiest, may need to show him some table builds and see if he'd be more interested in that.
ElkyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyRacer View Post
They are claiming 0.003 of sag at full extension.

Friend is considering one. Very entry level hobbiest, may need to show him some table builds and see if he'd be more interested in that.
I'd be impressed if it was 0.003, wouldn't surprise me if I had movement more then that on my gantry in the middle.. but again I have a motor, zaxis etc mounted on there, and its all steel.

I bet they did the measuring when the gantry didnt have a torch on it... then say "we didn't know what torch you'd be mounting..."

Honestly it looks like a good machine, if it lives up to their claims. If its an arduino setup, it's going to be more of a hobbyist, as in... fooling around with a CNC as a hobby, not cutting parts to use in a hobby.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I placed an order for one prior to seeing this thread. I want something to easily prototype parts and designs. I would also use it for simple cuts for around the house, such as brackets and tabs or signage to keep the misses happy and occupied in her hobbies. I have a laser cutter that is very reasonable but takes 2-3 weeks on average. The cuts are always perfect, so I want a cheap plasma table to make my prototypes and test the design.

They say you can have a refund up to the day before the table is made. They're set to ship in June, I'll report back once I get the table and make some cuts. I'm using a 60 gal Husky compressor that's brand new and a Hypertherm 65 that's a few years old. I will eventually install a standalone air dryer as well.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 80248
I was playing with building a "Portable" plasma table - about 2x2, you place it on top of the metal sheet and cut, maybe build a stand for small bits.

Budget numbers were around $800 using clearpath steppers and material I had laying around as much as possible. I'm sure it would have run over at least $1-200. So about the same cost but the drive motors would be on the higher end. Still bearing on tube, still manual Z. After looking at how many people out there have tables and will cut stuff for not much more than the cost of steel I decided to look for a cnc mill instead.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 108445

Last edited by rocket flier; 03-14-2018 at 09:45 PM.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkers30 View Post
Its awesome that you can build a table for such low cost now, and I'd love to have my own, but we have a laser shop next door to office that can generally gut anything I want in 1-2 days for extremely reasonable cost. It's hard to justify.
How good of a price? Local guy wanted 500 bucks to hit a 4x4 sheet worth of parts... bunch of 20x5 rectangles a few 12x29 and some 12x5's.
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 86771
Has anybody received their June order? How is it, any complaints?
tomjordanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 655698
langmuir systems CNC plasma table

So far I love this thing.

Just got it and started making a couple of easy parts to learn the software etc.

Since im a n00b I cant seem to show you pictures or the video so hit me up and I will DM them to you or maybe by the end of the holidays I'll have enough cred to post

But so far this thing is great! the concern about the single arm gantry , dont worry about it. Theres no slop at all from end to end. Infact since its a 2x2 table I prefer this design I can use a large piece thats bigger than the table without having to cut it down. My scrap yard charges more for cut down pieces.
chowpay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in