Crossfire CNC plasma? $1000 - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2006 View Post
I live in an apartment and am tempted to grab one of the new tables... just to store till I get a house.

Or maybe they have have a 4x4 or 4x8 by then...
wait until youre going to use it to buy a machine, this tech is 20years old but the price points are rapidily dropping.

i highly suggest everyone diy build their first table. the building process is a learning process that will help with running the table. i suggest candcnc.com for the electronics. cncrouterparts.com or precissionplasmallc.com for the mechanics. and then watch all of arclightcnc.coms videos for how the run the table. they are very boring but very worth it.

i doesn't cost a thing to learn the arclightcnc videos. do this before you buy not matter what route you go.

also those looking to jumo straight into buying a table i highly recommend arclightcnc.com they are outstanding and provide top notch customer support.

btw... the owners of candcnc.com and archlightcnc are very active on the plasma cnc related forums making them even more accessible and helpful.

money spent up front at these venders is made back ten fold in support and ease of use.

also those lacking space consider building your own table you can build to any size and shape. the first table i build was basically a 4x8 pallet that was stored on the sheet metal rack and put on saw horses when needed. i had a small 24x24 garage (but i did have a forklift) or another option is to build so that the table cuts vertically, there was a company doing this at one time dealing with parts dropping is a thing but if space is a premium get creative. the tables i build now have a foot print only 8" bigger than the cut space, compact downdraft and sheet storage under that. very efficient, in floor space and material storage cuts down on material handling time.

i started 4years ago, got fired from another job and decided to go for it. now i have 25-40k pounds of material on hand, and nearly hit 100k pounds usage last year. about 80% of it is cut on the table. my shop and tools are much nicer now. there is a big market for what can be done with cnc plas. i never thought i'd be building custom digging buckets, signs, art.... but its fun work. and a small investment for the potential.

was going to be quick reply, oops
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 03:46 AM   #202 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
wait until youre going to use it to buy a machine, this tech is 20years old but the price points are rapidily dropping.

i highly suggest everyone diy build their first table. the building process is a learning process that will help with running the table. i suggest candcnc.com for the electronics. cncrouterparts.com or precissionplasmallc.com for the mechanics. and then watch all of arclightcnc.coms videos for how the run the table. they are very boring but very worth it.

i doesn't cost a thing to learn the arclightcnc videos. do this before you buy not matter what route you go.

also those looking to jumo straight into buying a table i highly recommend arclightcnc.com they are outstanding and provide top notch customer support.

btw... the owners of candcnc.com and archlightcnc are very active on the plasma cnc related forums making them even more accessible and helpful.

money spent up front at these venders is made back ten fold in support and ease of use.

also those lacking space consider building your own table you can build to any size and shape. the first table i build was basically a 4x8 pallet that was stored on the sheet metal rack and put on saw horses when needed. i had a small 24x24 garage (but i did have a forklift) or another option is to build so that the table cuts vertically, there was a company doing this at one time dealing with parts dropping is a thing but if space is a premium get creative. the tables i build now have a foot print only 8" bigger than the cut space, compact downdraft and sheet storage under that. very efficient, in floor space and material storage cuts down on material handling time.

i started 4years ago, got fired from another job and decided to go for it. now i have 25-40k pounds of material on hand, and nearly hit 100k pounds usage last year. about 80% of it is cut on the table. my shop and tools are much nicer now. there is a big market for what can be done with cnc plas. i never thought i'd be building custom digging buckets, signs, art.... but its fun work. and a small investment for the potential.

was going to be quick reply, oops

I actually have most the parts I need to build one.... Just haven't had time yet. Congrats on your business. I wouldn't mind a few bucks on the side to offset the cost.
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Dug out my 60 amp plasma the other day. Have had it 4 or 5 years and never used it.

I'm not too bad free hand, plenty good enough for what I need to do.

If I needed a bunch of a part, would be handy to have a CNC table, but mostly 1 off stuff and I'd imagine it's way quicker to draw it on the steel and follow the line vs programming it.

Last edited by nate379; 09-20-2019 at 01:28 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #204 (permalink)
MC
Nose to grindstone

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
X2, a $10k table is a completely different genre and really out of place. Itís not really a feasible option. Honestly a lot of the machines are over complicated and/or overpriced in this market which is why Langmuir has made such progress. The other companies offering 2x2 and 2x4 machines are not as well branded or advertised which is also a huge factor. Langmuir really knows how to sell their machines and their customer support is a huge benefit. Not saying other companies lack customer support, but Langmuir has really stepped up with the tutorials, forum, tips, and quick remedies for issues. For a lower level machine itís a really good stepping stone that was missing beforehand. Spending $10k-30k for a ďseriousĒ machine is also a serious investment for a small 1-3 person small business. Not saying Starlab tables are bad at all but not even close to being a good match for the people in this thread. Kind of a shady tactic to drop your Starlab stuff in this thread anyways considering you have 15+ threads already and stab your posts in any plasma CNC thread you can.

Edit: MC, whereís your yellow star??

Iíll be snagging one of those tables during preorder. Itís exactly what I wanted from them. Perfect size and capabilities with the THC. Iíll list my 2x3 expanded Crossfire XL afterwards.

Entry level is great! In fact we were the first to offer a 2K 2x2 cnc plasma table. They definitely have their place. But when you need quality in production that is a different story. This was the main reason we quit offering a 2x2 and 2x3 plasma cutter. Only Torchmate was fool enough to follow that path as well as now langmuir but you know that is just my opinion. And you know we all have them. The entry level is a good way to dabble but the money you think you saved is almost always a loss of return on investment when you could have farmed out the cutting. Not that passion is not part of the equation. But that can overshadow the illusion of cnc plasma when the rubber meets the road and the bigger jobs come in. Personally I like these little tables as they can give folks a taste of what is out there and what is possible.

Signature is just signature. And if you follow our issue with PBB for at least 15 years now you would know they drop our yellow star twice a year due to the poor accounting setup through paypal. We have had a couple of rolling vendorships every year, sponsored everything we could on the board and the yellow and blue stars come and go with the two billing periods. Lance couldnt fix it and the canadians couldnt either

The finest CNC plasma tables
Made in the USA by Bulltear and can be found online at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and at local welding stores
Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics
We also make parts for AMC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #205 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23795
Send a message via AIM to freerider15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
Entry level is great! In fact we were the first to offer a 2K 2x2 cnc plasma table. They definitely have their place. But when you need quality in production that is a different story. This was the main reason we quit offering a 2x2 and 2x3 plasma cutter. Only Torchmate was fool enough to follow that path as well as now langmuir but you know that is just my opinion. And you know we all have them. The entry level is a good way to dabble but the money you think you saved is almost always a loss of return on investment when you could have farmed out the cutting. Not that passion is not part of the equation. But that can overshadow the illusion of cnc plasma when the rubber meets the road and the bigger jobs come in. Personally I like these little tables as they can give folks a taste of what is out there and what is possible.

Signature is just signature. And if you follow our issue with PBB for at least 15 years now you would know they drop our yellow star twice a year due to the poor accounting setup through paypal. We have had a couple of rolling vendorships every year, sponsored everything we could on the board and the yellow and blue stars come and go with the two billing periods. Lance couldnt fix it and the canadians couldnt either
I would do a star labs table in a heartbeat, but it's so overkill for what 80% of people need.

You seem to contradict yourself here back and forth, saying entry level is great, followed by "fool enough" and "The entry level is a good way to dabble but the money you think you saved is almost always a loss of return on investment when you could have farmed out the cutting."

I would have to 100% disagree. Maybe farming out where you are is easy, but that's not feasible for most. Do those places do immediate turnaround when you're prototyping in the shop at midnight? Do they do $5 cuts?

Most places won't even begin cutting for less than $100, if not 5 times that around here (can't blame them).

Torchmate became a "household" name since they released the 2x2. They hit a part of the market reliably underutilized. Sure, most of us would love to have a 4x4, 4x8 or larger to use, but 95% of us don't have the space, and don't have the $10k minimum to shell out for a table.

Farming out parts, means you've nailed down the design. How is one going to nail down the design, without a table themselves?

There's a reason Langmuir kept selling out of their production batches.

Just like TV's, as time has come along, pricing has gone down, and availability and quality has gone up. Hell, I'd say even the larger plasma tables are getting obsoleted to an extend. I know several places that can get laser cut parts (usually from out of country), to their door for less than most places want for plasma.

Sure, there's always a question of "material" quality, but I doubt most people ask for the MTR's at their local steel place. The cut quality of the imported laser parts I've seen, has honestly been fantastic. But, they come with a bit of lead time, which if you're a very large MFR doesn't make it doable.

freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #206 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post

Your arguments are full of holes, assumptions, and biases. This thread is about the Langmuir systems. We know youíre biased towards your own systems and want everyone to buy one - but we didnít ask you to be in here. How about you step out of here and stop clogging a dedicated Langmuir thread? You have plenty of threads, we can come ask you questions if we have them. Youíre not helping anyone but yourself at this point and IMO have overstayed your welcome.

On topic - I purchased one of the CrossFire Pro Machines with THC this morning. Iíve been cutting so often that Iíve paid off my original Crossfire about 5 times. Iíve started outsourcing a few steady sellers since itís more beneficial to have someone else do that routine work. I didnít buy this machine to stand over a plasma CNC all day and night. I bought it to prototype and do initial piece work then get the remaining pieces laser cut once the ball is rolling. Itís doing that perfectly but a THC and powered Z axis will move things along much quicker. Iím pretty stoked, itís the perfect combo and it came at a great time.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #207 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Me too, I prototype parts then send them when I am satisfied with the design to the laser shop for finished parts. I don't have time to babysit another CNC right now. No regrets on the Crossfire, it fills a niche that needed filled.

Shift controllers and shifters, AMS mounts
Toyota Triple & Twin Sticks
John 3:16- He is the answer.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 82261
I too order one of the first batch of pro tables and am really excited for it to get here. 2x2 was just too small to take the plunge with the crossfire but the 4x3 table and z axis it fits the bill perfectly for me
twistedyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #209 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedyota View Post
I too order one of the first batch of pro tables and am really excited for it to get here. 2x2 was just too small to take the plunge with the crossfire but the 4x3 table and z axis it fits the bill perfectly for me
Same thoughts I had. I ordered one as well.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #210 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Has anyone had a Wright CNC table delivered yet? Any of their new Next Gen tables? Their 2x4 that's expandable has me thinking it might be more useful than the Langmuir Pro table. This new Wright 2x4 looks like you could attach a rotary tube cutter to it as well.

https://wrightcnc.com/collections/wr...30925378781322

edit: I started a new topic for the Wright CNC tables. It seems they use cheap Chinese knock off electronics and their tables have wobbling frames. They have also had multiple instances of pirated software for Mach3, Windows, and the other software they use (SheetCAM I believe).

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 11-01-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #211 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Also, for anyone wanting updates on the Langmuir tables, software, and the new THC, they have been very responsive on their forum.

Langmuir is developing their own replacement for Mach3 and they even have a CAM software in the works.

https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/...c-upgrade/5883

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #212 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
I'm pretty excited for FireControl.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in