46 Clark Forklift - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
Most hydraulic systems run around 3000 psi. I'd usually throw a 5000psi oil filled gauge on and try that first.

If it is shot I'm sure you could either find parts for it or retrofit something else in its place. Might be a pain in the ass or pretty simple depending on how it is mounted and driven. Just try and get something that moves similar volume if you do go the retrofit route. Do you happen to have a pic of the pump and where it is mounted?
Yep, less than $20 on Amazon (plus a fitting to connect it in) and you are good to go.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Flying Aardvark

Member # 62972
That battery hold down scares me. Wouldn't take much to lay something from the (+) terminal to ground.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Quote:
Most hydraulic systems run around 3000 psi. I'd usually throw a 5000psi oil filled gauge on and try that first.

If it is shot I'm sure you could either find parts for it or retrofit something else in its place. Might be a pain in the ass or pretty simple depending on how it is mounted and driven. Just try and get something that moves similar volume if you do go the retrofit route. Do you happen to have a pic of the pump and where it is mounted?
Copy, I'll get a gauge coming for it.
A couple places I've talked to said to get rid of it, it's too old, etc. but it's the perfect size for my small shop and I'm into it a little north of $1000. Anything comparable would be much larger and much much more expensive.
Attached Images

sammyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
Not ideal but easily hooked up to the charger now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjam85 View Post
That battery hold down scares me. Wouldn't take much to lay something from the (+) terminal to ground.
would it make you feel better if I put a boot over the positive "(+)" terminal?
Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Pulled the control valve out with the help of my forklift mechanic buddy. No seals or places for seals in the spools, but no pitting either.
Pressure relief valve was maxed out, we are speculating that the spring is worn out.
With weight on, the forks drift down when you are trying to lift at idle but we are starting to think that's how it should be, until you throttle up?
However, it still won't lift much of anything. I have a pressure gauge to try tomorrow and he is going to see about a flow gauge from work. Letting it idle with the high pressure line feeding into a bucket it seems to have no flow issues.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Forks should not drift down...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Forks should not drift down...
This. Does it hold when you shut it off and/or don't move the control lever??
If not, its probably a leaking control valve. If it holds with the lever in neutral, but not when you are trying to raise it, its probably a bad pressure relief valve.

Aaron Z
Old 08-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
This. Does it hold when you shut it off and/or don't move the control lever??
If not, its probably a leaking control valve. If it holds with the lever in neutral, but not when you are trying to raise it, its probably a bad pressure relief valve.

Aaron Z
With the levers in neutral it holds, only drifts down when trying to raise it. Feels like 300 rpm is all it needs to start raising again.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
With the levers in neutral it holds, only drifts down when trying to raise it. Feels like 300 rpm is all it needs to start raising again.
Either the relief valve spring is bad (sounds like this is the case), and/or the pump is weak...

Aaron Z
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #35 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:

Ok that makes more sense... They should hold in neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Either the relief valve spring is bad (sounds like this is the case), and/or the pump is weak...

Aaron Z
Try finding a spring to swap into that relief valve and make sure it doesn't have shit in it keeping it from closing. Then if that still doesn't do it pressure test the pump.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Quote:
Ok that makes more sense... They should hold in neutral.

Try finding a spring to swap into that relief valve and make sure it doesn't have shit in it keeping it from closing. Then if that still doesn't do it pressure test the pump.
We tore down the valves yesterday and cleaned them thoroughly. The adjustment for the pressure relief spring was totally maxed out so I'm inclined to think weak spring. I hope so... Pump sounds expensive.
I have a pressure gauge coming today, but wouldn't a flow meter be better in this case?
Yesterday was my first ever time really dealing with hydraulics.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
We tore down the valves yesterday and cleaned them thoroughly. The adjustment for the pressure relief spring was totally maxed out so I'm inclined to think weak spring. I hope so... Pump sounds expensive.
I have a pressure gauge coming today, but wouldn't a flow meter be better in this case?
Yesterday was my first ever time really dealing with hydraulics.
You can have flow at low pressure and still have a worn out pump. When the pressure goes up it starts bypassing internally if the pump is worn out and you get no flow or pressure.

You need both pressure and flow in order for it to work. You can have a system with 10k pressure that only flows a thimbleful of fluid and it will lift like a son of a bitch but extremely slowly. Or you can have a pump that flows well but has no pressure and you get what it sounds like you have now. Won't raise its own weight unless revved up.

Last edited by billybob_81067; 08-13-2018 at 03:24 PM.
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 53453
You may be able to just shim the relief valve spring (washer) to test it.

There's a good chance the pump is worn out and they were cranking the relief valve in an effort to 'fix' it.

Depending on the pump it may be easy to source one that is generic/similar that will work...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post

There's a good chance the pump is worn out and they were cranking the relief valve in an effort to 'fix' it.
That's my bet...
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 161963
Quote:
That's my bet...
Would it have a suction strainer in it? I've had tractors with weak hydraulic system where that was all that's wrong with it.
Tizken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizken View Post
Would it have a suction strainer in it? I've had tractors with weak hydraulic system where that was all that's wrong with it.
That could do it.

Aaron Z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in