Rotary Phase Converter- Potential relay - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Rotary Phase Converter- Potential relay

I am building a 15hp phase converter. I used a 5hp potential relay thinking it would be fine for getting an unloaded idler motor up and running, but

I cant seem to find a larger potential relay. Wondering if I can hook 2 in parallel to handle the load, or if this would cause other issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 111998
I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler76010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 192237
just wire it up with another contactor with all the contacts bridged on the start button so it brings the start cap out when you let go of the button.

my start button has only one set of contacts, so I had it switch the start cap contactor directly, three of four contacts bridged, then the fourth contact wired where the start button used to be.

Push in, let go half a second later, can't be simpler.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
just wire it up with another contactor with all the contacts bridged on the start button so it brings the start cap out when you let go of the button.

my start button has only one set of contacts, so I had it switch the start cap contactor directly, three of four contacts bridged, then the fourth contact wired where the start button used to be.

Push in, let go half a second later, can't be simpler.
Id prefer to have the potential relay vs a start button. We lose power here pretty frequently, I would rather have an auto start system vs a manual start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
No relay is going to handle the start load of a 15HP motor (loaded or not). If you want a relay it will need to be an interposing relay to make and break the holding coil of the contractor.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepermat View Post
Id prefer to have the potential relay vs a start button. We lose power here pretty frequently, I would rather have an auto start system vs a manual start.
I don't leave mine run, I haven't checked for certain yet but I'm sure the power factor is so horrible as to be laughable, even at idle.

Even if you have something like a compressor, with a couple delay relays you can set it up so the converter kicks on with the pressure switch, then a few seconds later the compressor contactor starts up the motor, then it all shuts down when the pressure switch reaches it's set pressure.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in