Small inverter/generators (quiet) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80854
Small inverter/generators (quiet)

Iím in the market for a 3-4K watt inverter/generator to run a small 20ft camper. Noise is a concern. It has a 13,500 BTU a/c, along with a convection oven and electric (or gas) water heater. Iím thinking 3-4K will be enough, but if anyone thinks different, please speak up.
Iíd like to only buy once, and have years of use. Does anyone have any experience with the Honda 3000 vs Yamaha 3000? Pros and cons? Other comparable brands?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-30...00iS/206192156

https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Pro...000iS&CartID=1
Old 08-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
I have 2 of these guys and they run my ac, but have never tried to run more than it and the lights in my motorhome. I've ran my full sized fridge and full sized freezer in the shop, plus my fridge in my house, wifi, computer, 50"plasma, stereo and satalite at my house when we've lost power and they weren't running at full rpm. I have been 100% happy with them. They make a bigger one that you can hook one of these little guys to if the one bigger one isn't enough. No they aren't honda quiet, but pretty close and damn near half price. Just adding my 0.02.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3983_200623983

Bigger one

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0221_200660221

Last edited by cslimfu; 08-19-2018 at 05:45 PM.
cslimfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80854

I actually stopped and looked at those today. They are the exact same units Harbor Freight sells, but in a different color. They are also about $300 more than HF. Iím not saying they are bad, but Iím concerned about their longevity. Being on the southern coast, I want something I can count on for years to come. I also drive long distances for camping, and would hate to get there just to have a simple failure.

Last edited by RebelRider; 08-19-2018 at 05:50 PM.
RebelRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 80854

Double post....

Last edited by RebelRider; 08-19-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRider View Post
I actually stopped and looked at those today. They are the exact same units Harbor Freight sells, but in a different color. They are also about $300 more than HF. Iím not saying they are bad, but Iím concerned about their longevity. Being in the southern coast, I want something I can count on for years to come. I also drive long distances for camping, and would hate to get there just to have a simple failure.

I have the HF version and love it so far. Just use it for Power loss @ the house, runs everything except the AC.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 67907
I have a Honda EU3000IS that I use to run our camper. I only run it as needed to run the microwave or bottle warmer when we had babies.
No real complaints other than it didnt like altitudes above ~8500', above that it ran like crap and had no power.
Its pretty quiet, however I wouldnt run it nonstop in a close camp ground, it still puts out a bit of noise.
Only thing Ive done to it is oil and a battery, always starts right up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Nothing quite like a Honda EU

Love our 2k
Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80854
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
Nothing quite like a Honda EU

Love our 2k

I think a 2k or 2200 would work, but they would be maxed out. The tiny fuel tank sways me away also. Iíd also like the option to run the camper and the house fridge in the event of a power outage.

Anyone have any input on the Yamaha version?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
Quote:
I actually stopped and looked at those today. They are the exact same units Harbor Freight sells, but in a different color. They are also about $300 more than HF. I’m not saying they are bad, but I’m concerned about their longevity. Being on the southern coast, I want something I can count on for years to come. I also drive long distances for camping, and would hate to get there just to have a simple failure.
I'm 4 years into them, changed the oil and that's it. I'm not 100% on the size of my motorhome ac, but think 23k btu. It's a 76' old ugly thing and my wife uses it more than us. She goes to a few horse events a year as well as 2 terrible music festivals and they get ran 8-12 hours a day for a week at each horse deal and the music festivals are 3 or 4 days.

Edit, it's been 3 years and about 800 hours or so with my rough guesstimation. I couln't care less what you buy, I'm just giving my personal experience with what I have.

Last edited by cslimfu; 08-19-2018 at 09:16 PM.
cslimfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 80854

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslimfu View Post
I'm 4 years into them, changed the oil and that's it. I'm not 100% on the size of my motorhome ac, but think 23k btu. It's a 76' old ugly thing and my wife uses it more than us. She goes to a few horse events a year as well as 2 terrible music festivals and they get ran 8-12 hours a day for a week at each horse deal and the music festivals are 3 or 4 days.

Edit, it's been 3 years and about 800 hours or so with my rough guesstimation. I couln't care less what you buy, I'm just giving my personal experience with what I have.

I guess I can say that the HF isnít totally off the table. I do have access to non-ethanol fuel, which seems to cause the most problems with them.

Last edited by RebelRider; 08-20-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Bought this guy at Costco:

https://www.costco.com/A-IPower-1600...100343958.html

Works well and is quiet. Best part is if it fails, I just return it to Costco.
rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Snooty Poser

Member # 83100
From what I have experienced, two of the smaller units in parallel is a better setup than the 3000 watt unit. You end up with 33% more power, and if you have to move it, they are a lot lighter. Your AC is bigger than mine, I can actually run mine with 2200 watts of surge. For everything but the AC, you can get by with a single 2000 watt unit, so really, 95% of my use. OTOH, we don't use a microwave, drip coffee maker or hairdryer when we camp. My oven only uses gas, same with the water heater. Pretty sure it's more efficient than using gasoline to make electricity to make heat.

I have the Costco one just above at work, so far, I'm impressed. It is quieter than a Champion inverter. Not much, and you have to be side by side to tell, but if you are going to pick, may as well. We do have the Champion cube style inverter, too. It hasn't had any issues in about 5 years of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
The older I get the more I realize mayhem is for young people who don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BeatCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 80854

Our camper has a convection oven. The stove tops are gas. My wife uses our kitchen quite a bit, so Iíd like to keep it functional. No hair dryer, but I like my coffee.
Even if I were to pair the two e2000 gens, Iíd still be fighting the tiny fuel tanks.Iím wondering why they put such big a/cís in these. It will freeze you out quick.

Last edited by RebelRider; 08-20-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
From what I have experienced, two of the smaller units in parallel is a better setup than the 3000 watt unit. You end up with 33% more power, and if you have to move it, they are a lot lighter. Your AC is bigger than mine, I can actually run mine with 2200 watts of surge. For everything but the AC, you can get by with a single 2000 watt unit, so really, 95% of my use. OTOH, we don't use a microwave, drip coffee maker or hairdryer when we camp. My oven only uses gas, same with the water heater. Pretty sure it's more efficient than using gasoline to make electricity to make heat.

I have the Costco one just above at work, so far, I'm impressed. It is quieter than a Champion inverter. Not much, and you have to be side by side to tell, but if you are going to pick, may as well. We do have the Champion cube style inverter, too. It hasn't had any issues in about 5 years of use.
Our Champion 3100w from Costco was a real bastard. The pull start rope broke, both circuit breakers shit the bed (first one, then the other), and finally the e-throttle stopped working. Exchanged it for this i-Power job and have been impressed so far.
rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16829
I've had a pair of 2400 Yamaha's for 10 years. They are as good as the Honda's in my opinion. I had 2 Honda 2000's and sold them because one wouldn't run my power hungry microwave. I only bring one unless it's warm enought that I think I might need the ac. Tank size has never been an issue, fill before bed run all night and into late morning. They make a 6 gallon fuel tank that will gravity feed the Honda's but not for the Yamaha's.

Quote:
doesn't mean I can't be a douche bag
Quote:
10-4, thanks for the Cliff's notes... I don't think I ever read the "bounty thread" so I was/am clueless on this. Sounds to me like camo is a HGTD douchebag though.
offroad_joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 685034
we use 2 small HF units to power our RV. they work well powering the AC,charging the batterys and running the fridge at the same time. have to turn off the AC to run the
hair dryer. i like that they only rev up when power is called for and idle when demand is low.
mine will run 10-12 hours on full tanks. we use em at least twice a month for this and other than having a bad one right out of the box (return was easy) they have been very reliable.
Kriptonite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30586
We ran the 3200W Yamaha you posted. It works great but its a heavy bitch.

Saw this posted on facebook yesterday. It seem like a lot of people have been going to 2 2k generators in parallel. They are much lighter and that way you have the flexibility of only running one if needed.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 80854
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawln View Post
We ran the 3200W Yamaha you posted. It works great but its a heavy bitch.

Saw this posted on facebook yesterday. It seem like a lot of people have been going to 2 2k generators in parallel. They are much lighter and that way you have the flexibility of only running one if needed.

Iím having a hard time finding a Yamaha dealer so I can put my hands on a generator. Everyone tells me they quit selling them because they were not moving.

Iím still looking into doing two in parallel, but would hate to have to pack around 2, and maintain 2.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Snooty Poser

Member # 83100
The advantage is that a single one is easy to carry, but a single 3000 watt is too heavy for a smart person to move by themselves. Sure, I do it, but sometimes end up sore. Or, if you move two at the same time, one in each hand, your hands hang down at your sides, instead of cradling the bigger one in front of your belly.

My 77 year old mother can handle one of the 2000 watt inverters. The 3000 watt, no way.

The Yamaha I-Power is available at Costco, I don't know how far you are from one of those.

Quote:
The older I get the more I realize mayhem is for young people who don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.

Last edited by BeatCJ; 08-21-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 80854
Iíve never even seen a Costco, if that tells you anything.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Snooty Poser

Member # 83100
All I need to know, you are probably better off looking for a different brand.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 80854
Do you have any idea what kind of run time I could expect off of two parallel I-powers? Just assume at max load to be realistic.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 80854
I ended up with (2) Honda EU2200Iís. They run the camper with ease in eco mode, but only go for 5.75 hrs. Iíve ordered the stuff to build an extended run setup for them. Thanks for everyoneís input.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 685034
if we are running both they will run 8-10 hours running the AC. this past weekend it was
cool enough that we only ran 1 generator at a time and they ran 12 hrs per tank full each.
Kriptonite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 372697
Quote:
I ended up with (2) Honda EU2200Iís. They run the camper with ease in eco mode, but only go for 5.75 hrs. Iíve ordered the stuff to build an extended run setup for them. Thanks for everyoneís input.
I see you went with dual eu2000i's

For your and others information, I have a single eu2000i running my AC unit using one of these:
https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

The EasyStart is great. Instead of the AC unit hitting the gen all at once, it slowly turns on the AC over about 2-3 seconds and you can hear the generator slowly ramp up from eco mode.

By comparison, a camping buddy last week was running a similar 13.5k unit on an EU3000i and whenever the AC kicked in the generator would instantly rev up and sound like it was struggling to keep up for a few seconds while the compressor got running.

If I were to do it again I would use a Westinghouse iGen2500 generator to provide a bit more reserve capacity.
Gordon-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in