Propane convenction heater in closed garage? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 798313
Propane convenction heater in closed garage?

I bought one of those $100 Remington portable convection heaters from Lowes. Heats the garage up pretty good but they warn it gives off CO and to have open windows. However I used it with the windows closed with a CO detector in the garage and it never went off. So is this warning to just cover their ass, or can propane heaters actually emit enough CO to kill people?
Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 183106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrax View Post
I bought one of those $100 Remington portable convection heaters from Lowes. Heats the garage up pretty good but they warn it gives off CO and to have open windows. However I used it with the windows closed with a CO detector in the garage and it never went off. So is this warning to just cover their ass, or can propane heaters actually emit enough CO to kill people?
I've been doing propane heaters like that off and on for years in the garage with no problems. I know it helps that it isn't the most air tight structure and it has overkill for attic vents. No way would I try the same heat source in the house which will close up tight like a thermos bottle.

If your CO detector is happy, I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm basing this on the CO detectors in my big ass camper. Those things sometimes are annoying. Entry door open, jeep or whatever running outside has tripped them before. Not to mention having a smoky grill outside the door doing the same.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Been running Propane in the garage for years, never had a problem. But I do not just let it run non stop, and my garage is far from sealed.

Even so never had a CO go off or felt any ill effects from it.

Normally I just use it to take the chill out, then keep my electric ones on. Kick it on and off as needed while I am out there.

For my garage if I keep the doors closed my electric ones will keep it bearable. I supplement with the propane. Of I I have to have a door open I will run it, but no worries on air exchange there. Waste of money, but worth it.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 192237
used to run a big coleman one all the time, just about deafened you after a while

You learn to shut it off and take a break when your head starts pounding from the CO. Let the heat soak into the shit and the slab a bit, then open the door for a bit to change the air out. Everything being warm heats the fresh air back up pretty quick.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 108445
I cringe at relying on a CO detector, which could fail, to protect one's life. Granted garages are generally pretty leaky but duct some fresh air to the burner.

And I don't faking miss that shit one bit.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
I like the infrared catalytic style. Feels like the sun. 2 co detectors?

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrax View Post
Modern CO detectors are designed to respond pretty slowly to reduce nuisance detection, keep that in mind. Most newer propane heaters don't really make much CO as long as the flame isn't yellow and it's clean. I've run through a 15 lb propane bottle on a tank top heater all weekend in my 24x24x10 garage without issue, didn't have a detector going though. Fairly tight garage except for leaks around gaskets.

A bigg warning from my personal experience however: Don't use any chlorinated (non-flammable) brake/electronics/carb cleaner anywhere near one of those heaters. My lungs hurt for a month after using some briefly on a snowmobile carb in my garage near my heater. I knew about not using it around welding operations, but didn't know that just the vapor would react in one of those heaters.

larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 228875
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A bigg warning from my personal experience however: Don't use any chlorinated (non-flammable) brake/electronics/carb cleaner anywhere near one of those heaters. My lungs hurt for a month after using some briefly on a snowmobile carb in my garage near my heater. I knew about not using it around welding operations, but didn't know that just the vapor would react in one of those heaters.
Oh yeah, I made that mistake many years ago spraying around a carb. Anything with a flame like a heater or IC engine will burn it, making Hydrogen Chloride acid (HCL) and Phosgene gas (like WW1 "mustard gas") ! I ran out, and it corroded the shit out of any exposed metal in the garage.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 343737
any ventless gas heater produces heat, co2 and water vapor and is 100% efficient by nature of the ventless. if you can handle the water condensing on every metal surface in the shop, go for it. i switched to a $200 90% gas furnace 17 years ago cuz i couldn't handle the water running off my toolbox and cast iron machines
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
any ventless gas heater produces heat, co2 and water vapor and is 100% efficient by nature of the ventless. if you can handle the water condensing on every metal surface in the shop, go for it. i switched to a $200 90% gas furnace 17 years ago cuz i couldn't handle the water running off my toolbox and cast iron machines
Ehhhh, not quite 100%. There is some CO and hydrocarbon given off but it is a small amount. Let's call it 99.5%.

larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in