Tapping DOM - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
About welding them into the DOM.......are any button welds required as well as welding the seam at the insert / DOM junction?
Questions like this are why they do not allow weld in bungs....

Yes you need the plug welds. Should the weld crack (aka bad weld) you loose steering. With the plug welds you would have to really botch it up to loose the bung.

But even with weld in you will still need the taps 95% of the time to chase it out.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 192237
I just single point that sort of stuff, it's really easy with a home made 1/2" boring bar that takes 3/16" HSS

I'd do it for $40 both ends, maybe a local shop would quote similar, if you can find a shop that isn't solely button-pushers
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Chev 1 ton TRE's have 7/8-18 threads.
Chevy 1/2 and 3/4 ton have 7/8-18 threads.

True Chevy 1 tons have 1"-18 shanks. ES2064R for example.

Fawking magazines and internets calling everything 1/2 ton "one ton".
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:24 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 53453
You should read the rules again and tell whoever is doing your VIs to get fucked.

There is to be no REPAIRS to steering components by welding. They can be MANUFACTURED by welding.

Otherwise there is factory vehicles that aren't legal.

Anyways, tap it by hand, it's just DOM. Long as the hole is the right size and you know how to use a tap, you won't have trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 8274
There's a huge misconception in BC 4x4 clubs that "no welding on steering parts" is a thing.

All because I bet one loud mouth with some goobered together tie rod failed an inspection. I'm pretty sure Comanche is right here. If you just make it look like it was done properly it'll be fine.

Years ago I had no problem passing with my truck that was inserts in DOM. I had both Tierod, and the other linkage.. (can't remember the name) welded. I even used heims, and didn't fail *GASP*!
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Chevy 1/2 and 3/4 ton have 7/8-18 threads.

True Chevy 1 tons have 1"-18 shanks. ES2064R for example.

Fawking magazines and internets calling everything 1/2 ton "one ton".
es2027l comes factory on gm 1 tons and has a 7/8" shank, its a drag link end

its as true as they come

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mo...nter+link,7276
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
There's a huge misconception in BC 4x4 clubs that "no welding on steering parts" is a thing.

All because I bet one loud mouth with some goobered together tie rod failed an inspection. I'm pretty sure Comanche is right here. If you just make it look like it was done properly it'll be fine.

Years ago I had no problem passing with my truck that was inserts in DOM. I had both Tierod, and the other linkage.. (can't remember the name) welded. I even used heims, and didn't fail *GASP*!

No misconception.
You just lucked out with an inspector that either didn't notice it, or chose not to fail it.

I've spoken to two inspectors that do VI's and Out Of Province Inspections. Both said they will "fail" non-factory welding on steering components. That would be my "luck" lol.
The local 4x4 / spring shop also confers no-welding on steering, even though they only sell weld-in inserts themselves.

Anyway........
Thanks for chiming in with your thots and ideas guys. It all helps.
I Lean and I have been chatting.......he has been kind enough to offer to thread the tube for me.
Thanks Carl!
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 8274
If you look at the Motor Vehicle act, it does in fact say "Reject if: bla, bla, welded, bla bla." under steering components.

That's what everyone picks up on, but if you search the whole act for "welded" it also turns up under "Frame".

Point that out to the inspector and ask him how many non welded frames he's seen in his career.

So I wouldn't say they're necessarily wrong by rejecting welded steering components, but I'm sure you can find a OEM vehicle that has a weld somewhere on a steering component.

There's some interpretation required in doing VIs, and if you're not willing to do interpretation, then there's some phone calls to Victoria that should be made for clarification.

That said, BC inspections are kind of a joke compared to other provinces.

Try Ontario's "Originally installed" clause in a bunch of places now. So that waterpump you had to replace because the bearing went, can be interpreted as a fail. Same with your snow tires.

Saskatchewan demands an alignment... even though it's out of spec as soon as you leave the parkinglot because their roads are some of the worst in Canada.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 99570
I know the inspection thing here in BC is a bunch or bureaucratic BS. No denying that.

As for welding on the frame.......like you suggest......who hasn't that has done any substantial mods to their truck?

I went over the frame welding issue with a VI inspector too. Technically......they [ the inspector ] can demand that you have the frame welds ultrasound-inspected at a specialty frame inspection shop, if they choose to put that burden onto you.

I also know......that once you "initiate" an Out Of Province Inspection or a VI inspection with a particular inspector, you are obligated by law, to complete said inspection with that particular inspector. The paper work trail has already begun..... So, it's not like you can say....."" to guys critique, and go try again with another inspector at another shop.

Like I said......just a bunch of bureaucratic BS that we have to deal with.
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Send a message via AIM to jaluhn
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I just single point that sort of stuff, it's really easy with a home made 1/2" boring bar that takes 3/16" HSS

I'd do it for $40 both ends, maybe a local shop would quote similar, if you can find a shop that isn't solely button-pushers
This. Easy job to bore out and then run a single point threading tool. Bet I could do it in an hour, so a real machinist ought to be able to do it in 20-30 min.
jaluhn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
es2027l comes factory on gm 1 tons and has a 7/8" shank, its a drag link end
Quote:
Chev 1 ton TRE's have 7/8-18 threads.

Last edited by CSP; 12-06-2018 at 10:14 PM.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 44692
where in BC are you? if getting things from the states make sure its USPS or you get raped on brokerage. if close enough its best to ship to address in the states (can suggest a few if your near boarder) or have someone who frequents near the boarder pick it up and bring across and ship to you.
crimsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in