Lets talk Little tractors - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Lets talk Little tractors

Bought me a JD 1025 a couple years ago.
Sure it has its limitations but nothings broke on it yet. It's making me a little money doing water service lines and some other trenching.
I heard there's a way to turn up the hydro pump a little? Anybody done this and was it worth the effort?
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
My 1020 MF had a check valve on the loader valve that i was able to turn in to be able to have more power to the loader. Not sure if you can increase the pressure on the pump itself.
rektec250r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 45481
You can shim the system pressure relief valve on some equipment and itís a nice improvement as long as you didnít go wild, the factory sets compact tractors up very conservatively to keep Johnny homeowner from turning them over.

I upped my system PSI. by 250 lbs. and it made a big difference on my little Kubota BX25.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aerospace Tool&Die by trade..Don't call me a machinist!

TEAM CARWASH 2010 TTC CHAMPS
JeffHPK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHPK5 View Post
You can shim the system pressure relief valve on some equipment and itís a nice improvement as long as you didnít go wild, the factory sets compact tractors up very conservatively to keep Johnny homeowner from turning them over.

I upped my system PSI. by 250 lbs. and it made a big difference on my little Kubota BX25.
Thats what I had in mind. Just to give the backhoe a little more nuts.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rektec250r View Post
My 1020 MF had a check valve on the loader valve that i was able to turn in to be able to have more power to the loader. Not sure if you can increase the pressure on the pump itself.
Where was this valve? I have a 1010 with a 1014 loader and it's painfully slow to lift and tilt. It's also hydrostatic and pretty anemic in the drive department. Pretty sure it's the same pump. I'd love to give it a little more go juice.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
subbed...

had a 2305 for a long time and switched to a 1025R for the drive over deck - had a bum arm for about a year.

2305 had the ergonomics of a turd, but imho was a much better tractor. I'm not much impressed with the 1025, so I'll be following this.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdude View Post
Bought me a JD 1025 a couple years ago.
Sure it has its limitations but nothings broke on it yet. It's making me a little money doing water service lines and some other trenching.
I heard there's a way to turn up the hydro pump a little? Anybody done this and was it worth the effort?
Sell it and buy a bigger tractor. Or go to a PTO pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sell it and buy a bigger tractor. Or go to a PTO pump.
I figured you'd show up with some useless gum flapping.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
Where was this valve? I have a 1010 with a 1014 loader and it's painfully slow to lift and tilt. It's also hydrostatic and pretty anemic in the drive department. Pretty sure it's the same pump. I'd love to give it a little more go juice.
It was on the back of the loader valve IIRC. A 8mm slotted stud with a jam nut. When I got it it wouldn't pick up a full bucket of dirt, after a couple turns of the screw it would pick up the back of the tractor. I'm pretty sure mine had the 1014 loader.
rektec250r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
The hydrostatic drive will be its own pumps (main and charge) and motor, sometimes all in one case. It is a closed loop system, whereas the remainder of your machine is open loop.
isbj60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
I figured you'd show up with some useless gum flapping.
As long as it's not a charge pump based system, which I don't think it is, you'd be fine to adjust up a little from 2000psi. The adjustment is a screw on the loader valve in a hard to get to spot. Do you have a pressure gauge to make sure you're getting 2000 now? I have always wanted to put a permanent gauge in my 4300 someday just to keep an eye on load limits, might be a good idea if running over the factory setting.
Check and see what elses uses that BH if you're worried, or see if you can find the manual and find out if it was put on something with more pressure.

This adjustment won't really speed up anything except when you are near the pressure limit. If you want faster, get a PTO pump.

And of course you know this is how nice things get broken.

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-18-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 67907
There is a reason the manufacturer sets the relief where they do. Cranking it up is only a recipe for failure of something. Spec is 1986psi, there is no +/- on that, so Id recommend keeping it under 2000.
That is basically a riding lawn mower with a loader and backhoe on it, you are expecting too much from it.

Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 07:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepermat View Post
There is a reason the manufacturer sets the relief where they do. Cranking it up is only a recipe for failure of something. Spec is 1986psi, there is no +/- on that, so Id recommend keeping it under 2000.
That is basically a riding lawn mower with a loader and backhoe on it, you are expecting too much from it.
1986PSI? Per TractorData.com John Deere 1025R tractor information the OP's tractor should be set to 2000PSI.
Often it will be off from the factory, so one will need a gauge to check the current pressure, then adjust it a little and check it again.
With a loader and a backhoe, they will both have separate relief's so both will need to be adjusted.

Aaron Z
Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepermat View Post
This. Don't push those very hard or you'll be scattering part #'s all over the place!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 45481
Quote:
Thats what I had in mind. Just to give the backhoe a little more nuts.
Before you do any adjusting Iíd add a gauge and see what your attachment circuit is running from the factory, sometimes they are very conservatively set from the manufacturer.

I misspoke before , I have a Kubota 2230 with a L211 loader and when I installed my gauge I found that I was about 100 psi under the factory 1,750 psi spec. from the get-go.

I made a bunch of relief shims at work and started adding and checking till I was at 2,000 psi , the change was a much sharper operating loader with way more break-out power. The rest of the components are rated at a max. operating psi of 2,200 so I should be fine .. my only real worry is the front differential because I use it like a D9 Cat dozer now!

For what itís worth I did this mod. over 12 years ago and have had no broken parts and my tractor gets used a lot.

Aerospace Tool&Die by trade..Don't call me a machinist!

TEAM CARWASH 2010 TTC CHAMPS
JeffHPK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rektec250r View Post
It was on the back of the loader valve IIRC. A 8mm slotted stud with a jam nut. When I got it it wouldn't pick up a full bucket of dirt, after a couple turns of the screw it would pick up the back of the tractor. I'm pretty sure mine had the 1014 loader.
Definitely going to look at it this weekend. The lift cylinders will stall before it can lift the ass off the ground. The tilt seems to have a little more power so when I'm trying to pick something heavy up off my trailer, I usually have to use the tilt to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
The hydrostatic drive will be its own pumps (main and charge) and motor, sometimes all in one case. It is a closed loop system, whereas the remainder of your machine is open loop.
Makes more sense. I know they share the same fluid reservoir and I didn't think much beyond that.

It's a beater tractor that I picked up a for a couple grand on ebay about 5 years ago. It's more than paid for itself and is pretty much overkill for my little 1.5 acre lot, but man it's pretty damn convenient and I can't see myself not having at least a little machine like this on any property.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
1986PSI? Per TractorData.com John Deere 1025R tractor information the OP's tractor should be set to 2000PSI.
Often it will be off from the factory, so one will need a gauge to check the current pressure, then adjust it a little and check it again.
With a loader and a backhoe, they will both have separate relief's so both will need to be adjusted.

Aaron Z
Service advisor-Deere service tool shows 1986psi. Its actually rated in BAR, so someone likely rounded up. Were talking 14psi... You will get that much fluctuation in gages.

Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 44979
I just ordered a gauge and quick connect setup. If it's close to the factory spec I'll just leave it.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
TR
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2877
I just looked up the spec and for a 1025R the relief valve spec is 2050 - 2250 psi
Old 01-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 153061
any write-ups on this? im curious about adding the shims and where/how to check the factory pressure. i would love to get a (little) more juice from my BX23S.
byron4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron4 View Post
any write-ups on this? im curious about adding the shims and where/how to check the factory pressure. i would love to get a (little) more juice from my BX23S.
BXpanded makes a kit for your tractor: https://bxpanded.com/pressure-tester

Aaron Z
Old 02-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 119189
Its not a pressure thing, its a flow/volume issue. My koyker loader comes with either 1.5 cylinders or 2.0 cylinders, the 2.0" cylinders are rated for more lift weight capacity but half the speed of the 1.5 cylinders. Its not a direct correlation due to valves and hose sizes are not proportional. I have a Jinma 184 chinese tractor, I looked at updating and it truly requires a pump, valve and hose changes to take advantage of the faster speeds you want. Tim

Last edited by astjp2; 02-12-2019 at 06:19 PM.
astjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 20099
I'm surprised that the little tractor can dig deep enough to put in a water line.

I rented a John Deere once, forget the model but was about 35hp. I wasn't expecting it to work as well as a skid steer, but it was almost laughable. Couldn't even fill the small bucket 3/4 full of dry topsoil without it standing on the front axle. That was even with landscape rake on the back.
Bucket held maybe 1/3 of a yard, so ~600-700lbs.
It would have been utterly useless if it hadn't been 4wd.

Last edited by nate379; 02-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 43079
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
I wasn't expecting it to work as well as a skid steer, but it was almost laughable.
How much weight is hanging off the back of a skid steer behind the axle vs a tractor? Its an issue with alot of the newer tractors that have tried to make them shorter wheelbases and compact them.

We usually ran the brushchopper on the back or a bin of wood. Both of these put the weight back at least 4 feet and added leverage to that weight.

Newer ones also all need their tires loaded from what I have seen.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85f150dsel View Post
How much weight is hanging off the back of a skid steer behind the axle vs a tractor? Its an issue with alot of the newer tractors that have tried to make them shorter wheelbases and compact them.

We usually ran the brushchopper on the back or a bin of wood. Both of these put the weight back at least 4 feet and added leverage to that weight.

Newer ones also all need their tires loaded from what I have seen.
Yep, you have to have weight when using a loader on something like that. I've got a JD 4300 and it will tricycle if there isn't plenty of weight on the 3-point. I've got the wheel off a box car laying down on a 3-point platform carrier with a stack of car batteries on it plus it has a hard cab. That is about the right amount of weight for loading heaping buckets of sand in a 1/3 yard bucket in 2wd and feeling safe. If I try to pick up something really stupid with the forks on, it will still lift the rear wheels but it takes a FIBC of wet sand.
You have to know the limits, and capabilities of the machine. Sometimes you need to fire up the 6v71 in the clarke 175 and do work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in