Aluminum Shovel.......thots? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Aluminum Shovel.......thots?

As an excuse to use the tig, and make a custom one-off item for my rig, I'm going to make an aluminum recovery shovel.

Why aluminum?
Well......because my little rig is getting heavier and heavier with each additional piece of equipment that I add on / into it. This will be light, but not as practical as a full size and heavy shovel, but that's ok.

Thinking of a design similar to these;

https://www.kartek.com/parts/multi-p...l-28-long.html

https://agency6.com/collections/shovel-mount-combo

I would like to add on a strip of stainless steel along the cutting edge of the blade however, say 1.5" in width or so. With the stainless being tougher, thinner and more sharp than the 3/16ths aluminum, it will penetrate the snow, dirt and gravel better.

Thinking of using rivets to hold the stainless strip it in place. Whadda ya think? Will they hold? Maybe mild steel rivets? Copper?
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dirt Engineer

Member # 23542
You're gonna put out an eye.
Clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Now, that was a helpful reply

Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 192237
moon metal rivets would be good, csunk ones for easier ground stabbing
or steel rivets but then they'll tear the alu before failing, and setting them might be tough

for the effort, seems like you could save a half lb elsewhere a lot easier

Last edited by [486]; 02-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post

for the effort, seems like you could save a half lb elsewhere a lot easier
I'm with this.

Edit, I can't read:

I'm hard on mine and I generally carry a full size shovel because anything less sucks at digging. Seems like you'd really have to thicken this thing up to hold up, negating weight savings. Which after weighing a wooden handled steel shovel, is a whopping 1500 grams, or 3.3 lbs.

I'd find a better TIG project personally.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 02-06-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 99570
I'll look to see what a moon rivet is. Thanks for the idea.

Yes, my thots too with aluminum being soft...... maybe some JB weld along with rivets?

The worst case scenario, is that I just go with aluminum and no SS strip. This will be for recovery only, so for occasional use it should be fine. Touching up the digging edge now and again wont be concern.

I have the scrap aluminum, so I will make it either way.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 70148
I've never used an aluminum shovel I haven't broken. Grain scoops are the worst, plastic FTW.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
I'm no metrologist, but I feel like the specific alloy of aluminum will make or break this project. They are not equal. What alloy are we planning to use?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
I'll look to see what a moon rivet is. Thanks for the idea.
moon metal is loominimum
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
I got a couple on Amazon a few years ago. Large scoop and telescoping handle. Perfect for snow or sand but in hard soil might be a one-time use. Very light.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 101265
Had aluminum snow shovels in the 80's - they got tore up chipping/shoveling ice. Taking one to rocks would have been pointless. As others have said, there are better places to save weight.
Kunker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've never used an aluminum shovel I haven't broken. Grain scoops are the worst, plastic FTW.
The Kobalt ones from Lowes are lifetime warrantied.

I had one that lasted 5 years, was plenty fine still till a hired hand used it for 10 mins shoveling sawdust and destroyed it somehow. Like shovel "blade" and handle were damn near at a 90* angle.

Lowes changed it out without question. I felt bad so I bought another one too.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142852
I’m with the others. I don’t think an aluminum shovel would hold up that well and the weight savings really won’t be noticeable.

If you’re looking for a compact shovel that could get you out in a pinch, you might consider a folding shovel. You can find US army surplus ones for like $30 on eBay, or any ol’ no name brand for $10.

Some come with picks that fold out too. Just another option.
I’m all for a do-it-yourself project, I just don’t think an aluminum shovel is the way to go, nor do I think the weight difference will save you anything.
Prozon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 111998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozon View Post
Iím with the others. I donít think an aluminum shovel would hold up that well and the weight savings really wonít be noticeable.

If youíre looking for a compact shovel that could get you out in a pinch, you might consider a folding shovel. You can find US army surplus ones for like $30 on eBay, or any olí no name brand for $10.

Some come with picks that fold out too. Just another option.
Iím all for a do-it-yourself project, I just donít think an aluminum shovel is the way to go, nor do I think the weight difference will save you anything.

I second this. I have one in the truck at all times. It takes up very little space or weight, but is sturdy enough to do real work or use as an axe in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler76010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
As an excuse to use the tig, and make a custom one-off item for my rig, I'm going to make an aluminum recovery shovel.

I would like to add on a strip of stainless steel along the cutting edge of the blade however, say 1.5" in width or so.
Stainless shouldn't go with aluminum. It won't last. It'll corrode in short order (Galvanic reaction). But do what you want.

Last edited by Grumpy356; 02-08-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 67823
You're from the island right?
Have you actually gone outside yet? Looked at the composition of the ground here? Noticed that our soil is a lot of....rock?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
This is prolly right up there with the most retarded idea of the week. You ever try to push aluminum through the ground? It sticks like a motherfucker. I have prolly spent more hours on the end of a shovel than I would like to admit.

If you plan on actually using the shovel and not just showing it off at the local Jeep meet get one of these. They are my favorite #2 shovel. I have to own 20 of these guys.
https://www.homelectrical.com/kodiak...0aAhmmEALw_wcB

Last edited by Thepanzerfuhrer; 02-09-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky

Member # 84122
Almost 15 years of wheelin and I have never needed a shovel. Your gay
Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie Locks View Post
Almost 15 years of wheelin and I have never needed a shovel. Your gay
I needed on once in a parking lot. There was a strip that wasn't plowed and I got stuck driving through it

Figured winching off a parked car probably wasn't the best idea.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
I needed on once in a parking lot. There was a strip that wasn't plowed and I got stuck driving through it

Figured winching off a parked car probably wasn't the best idea.
*raises hand*

Guilty of that one.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckin_Slusher View Post
*raises hand*

Guilty of that one.

Years ago a friend got his 4 wheeler stuck in a ditch by the RR tracks. No trees or anything around, so he wrapped the cable around the tracks.

It was then he found out that the tracks have low voltage running in them. The winch cable shorted it out and set off alarms on some control board.

They had barely gotten unstuck when a RR truck came by on the tracks to check things out. They got a bit of ass chewing over it.

If you are wondering about the power in the tracks, I guess it's used for tracking where a train is. Least that's what I was told.

Last edited by nate379; 02-09-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Years ago a friend got his 4 wheeler stuck in a ditch by the RR tracks. No trees or anything around, so he wrapped the cable around the tracks.

It was then he found out that the tracks have low voltage running in them. The winch cable shorted it out and set off alarms on some control board.

They had barely gotten unstuck when a RR truck came by on the tracks to check things out. They got a bit of ass chewing over it.

If you are wondering about the power in the tracks, I guess it's used for tracking where a train is. Least that's what I was told.
They run a voltage between the rails. Rails have a known resistance. The train connects the rails. By measuring the voltage at intervals they know where trains are and aren't. Your dumbass friend made a phantom train appear out of nowhere as far as their instrumentation could tell.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 02-11-2019 at 05:38 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
They run a voltage between the rails. Rails have a known resistance. The train connects the rails. By measuring the voltage at intervals they know where trains are and aren't. Your dumbass friend made a phantom train appear out of nowhere as far as their instrumentation could tell.
I have always heard of people using jumper cables to set off / close the railroad arms. (although I never witnessed it).
Old 02-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 21100
40+ years of wheelin...

And this is what I use most.

https://www.garant.com/tools/s/garde...neering-resin/ Wood handle lasted 20 years

The long metal collar prevents the handle from snapping when you lean on it. Grain shovel (Aluminium ) for snow wheeling only
Old 02-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 29900
I buy bitch shovels with a cut handle (to fit). I don't know the real name but the shovel head is about 30% smaller than a normal shovel.

Aluminum would be cool but I think it would be too soft of metal if you dug anything up but loam or sand.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in