Sthil MS250 chainsaw parts - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Aggie06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 123554
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 707
Sthil MS250 chainsaw parts

Long story short, have a MS250 that is leaking fuel from the seam on the tank. It looks like there are a bunch of $30-40 replacements on amazon. Does anyone have any experience with these tanks?

Also, does anyone have a brand recommendation for a new bar? Wanting to go to 18 from the 16, and Im not sure if there are any good alternatives to the Sthil bars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member # 192237
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 11,507
it's a fuel tank, either it is leak free or you notice it is a colander when it shows up and get your money back

kind of interesting, you can build a whole stihl saw from chinese replacement parts for like $300

got a johnsered saw with a 'total' brand bar, seems to do just fine, the original had gotten too worn down at the end where the chain comes off the roller... on both the top and then the bottom after flipping it.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7579
Posts: 1,177
Send a message via AIM to stRanger
A little thread hijack on my end but is about the 3 stihls I have... maybe someone can shed some insight for me.

MS310. New sproket gear last year with less that 30hrs cut on it. Starts up and revs good. As soon as it gets into a log it bogs and the chain stops spinning. The chain is decently sharp. Carb or do I have other worn out parts?

The 310, 039 and 026 never seem to cut straight which I associate with the chain being sharpened improperly (i sharpened them) but the bars all seem to heat up quick and the bar oil smokes. The bars don't seem to be bent/warpped so I'm a big perplexed about it.
__________________
95 ranger.....
stRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CherokeeTerrorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48401
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 764
I've used aftermarket parts on a few stihl saws with no issues really. A 18" bar on that ms250 will be a dog, keep the 16". The ms250 is a fun little home owner saw, I own 2
__________________
84 toyota xcab, 4.3/4l60e/dual toy cases, 39.5's, built toy axles
93 xj 60/14b in progress
CherokeeTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
today
 
fredycruger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Member # 225557
Location: MA
Posts: 1,392
i ran over my chainsaw with bobcat and tank cracked
instead of swapping the tank i put gas tank epoxy over the cracks
still good year later
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
larboc@hotmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70148
Location: da U.P. of MI eh?
Posts: 6,234
I had a log stick to the chain at wot on my 046 and it hit the oil tank and blew a big hole in it. On the 046 the oil tank is also the crankcase i.e. lots of work and a few bucks to replace. I ended up cleaning it very well, heating it up with a propane torch to drive oil out of the pores, then cleaning it again and then jbwelding a washer over the affected area. Been holding great for a long time now. I had to redo it once when I had a log hit it in a similar fashion to the first, but it was much easier than replacing the entire crankcase.
Even with the plastic gas tank, I would try jbweld first and see how many years it lasts.
__________________
I don't pay nothing for anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
cj7jeep81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15718
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,281
I've got an old 046 that had a busted fuel tank when I bought it. It had been epoxied, but still leaked some. Finally got tired enough of it and bought a bunch of parts from https://www.huztl.net/
Ended up replacing a bunch of parts (isolaters were shot, among other things). Took a bit to ship from China, but all the parts fit great, and no issues. I don't use the saw that much (have a 310 I use 90% of the time), so couldn't see spending a ton on it. Saw is great to use now.
cj7jeep81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Member # 631769
Location: Alaska
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by stRanger View Post
A little thread hijack on my end but is about the 3 stihls I have... maybe someone can shed some insight for me.

MS310. New sproket gear last year with less that 30hrs cut on it. Starts up and revs good. As soon as it gets into a log it bogs and the chain stops spinning. The chain is decently sharp. Carb or do I have other worn out parts?

The 310, 039 and 026 never seem to cut straight which I associate with the chain being sharpened improperly (i sharpened them) but the bars all seem to heat up quick and the bar oil smokes. The bars don't seem to be bent/warpped so I'm a big perplexed about it.
MS310 bogging down - if the saw is still running and the chain is stopped, your clutch springs may be shot or broken. There are many videos on line showing how to replace the springs. Many guys just buy a fully assembled clutch kit for newer saws. One of the other signs the that clutch is messed up is that chain spins fast while it is at idle. The springs are really weak or broken then and the weights don't need much force to fly out and engage.

For the hot bar and smoking bar oil, you might have the wrong type of chain on the bar. Bar is made for a 0.050" gauge (thick) chain, but somehow a 0.063" thick chain could have been put on there. Stihl has a complicated system for matching the saws to bars to chain. Stihl bars are marked with the pitch and gauge they were made for. Some times these marks can't be seen due to wear.

Bars wear down and may need to be dressed so that the chain rides square. Also if your chain is too thick for the bar channel it will ride up and be floppy making for a hard to control cut.
Yakataga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7579
Posts: 1,177
Send a message via AIM to stRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakataga View Post
MS310 bogging down - if the saw is still running and the chain is stopped, your clutch springs may be shot or broken. There are many videos on line showing how to replace the springs. Many guys just buy a fully assembled clutch kit for newer saws. One of the other signs the that clutch is messed up is that chain spins fast while it is at idle. The springs are really weak or broken then and the weights don't need much force to fly out and engage.

For the hot bar and smoking bar oil, you might have the wrong type of chain on the bar. Bar is made for a 0.050" gauge (thick) chain, but somehow a 0.063" thick chain could have been put on there. Stihl has a complicated system for matching the saws to bars to chain. Stihl bars are marked with the pitch and gauge they were made for. Some times these marks can't be seen due to wear.

Bars wear down and may need to be dressed so that the chain rides square. Also if your chain is too thick for the bar channel it will ride up and be floppy making for a hard to control cut.
I replaced the clutch assembly/sproket at the same time. The kit wasn't much more expensive for it. When the chain stops the motor does bog down, kinda like the bar break is on (it's not). Might replace the stuff again, think it was only like $40
__________________
95 ranger.....
stRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Member # 631769
Location: Alaska
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by stRanger View Post
I replaced the clutch assembly/sproket at the same time. The kit wasn't much more expensive for it. When the chain stops the motor does bog down, kinda like the bar break is on (it's not). Might replace the stuff again, think it was only like $40
If it was a whole kit, you might have some other issues.

Are your bar nuts too tight? I've seen super tight nuts crush bars before and then pinch the chain.

Or, could be a fuel/air issue.
Have you changed the in tank fuel filter? User manual recommends changing out each year.
Then there could be a crack in one of a few different lines messing up the fuel/air mix. The pulse tube is a common issue when it cracks or comes off the engine. DonyBoy utube has some good Stihl videos for how to check out the common issues with these saws.
Yakataga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member # 192237
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 11,507
is your chain too tight?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7579
Posts: 1,177
Send a message via AIM to stRanger
Bar nuts COULD be too tight, I'm always afraid of them coming off. The chain itself being too tight, I don't think so. I play around with how tight it is and doesn't seem to matter.

I'm going to buy a carb kit for it so that will have a fuel filter and all that so at least that will all get replaced.
__________________
95 ranger.....
stRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Member # 631769
Location: Alaska
Posts: 123
Another thought on the smoking bar/chain. Is it pumping oil?
Check the orifice for blockage by saw dust, check bar weep holes, too. With the bar off run the saw and see if oil is pushed out. If not then you have an oil pump problem. Not too hard to replace with a kit.
Yakataga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
roundhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 16751
Location: Atlanta Jawja
Posts: 7,551
I have an 024 I think

It would bog like that and it turned out to be the clutch was overheating
Never figured out how to stop that
But all the plastic parts that activate the brake band were getting hot and soft and flexing enough to make the brake band drag on the clutch drum
__________________
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 142852
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie06 View Post
Long story short, have a MS250 that is leaking fuel from the seam on the tank. It looks like there are a bunch of $30-40 replacements on amazon. Does anyone have any experience with these tanks?

Also, does anyone have a brand recommendation for a new bar? Wanting to go to 18 from the 16, and Im not sure if there are any good alternatives to the Sthil bars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recently bought a replacement tank, and all the plastics for a Stihl 044. Only complaint was the kill switch. If yours is good, swap it. Other than that.. great parts for cheap. The alternative is to use fuel tank repair epoxy. I put some on a hole inmy MS290 ages ago and its still not leaking. As far as bars go, Oregon bars are good and usually cheaper.
Prozon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Aggie06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 123554
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozon View Post
I recently bought a replacement tank, and all the plastics for a Stihl 044. Only complaint was the kill switch. If yours is good, swap it. Other than that.. great parts for cheap. The alternative is to use fuel tank repair epoxy. I put some on a hole inmy MS290 ages ago and its still not leaking. As far as bars go, Oregon bars are good and usually cheaper.


Good to know, thanks! This is still sitting on my garage floor waiting to be tackled.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
budget76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 38264
Location: Rocky Hill CT
Posts: 2,199
Send a message via AIM to budget76
not a stihl, but I bought the knockoff Husqvarna side cover / chain lock assembly and it worked & fit perfect. $20 + a new chain made that free saw my go-to
__________________
76 Scout, 85 Toy. 94 Cherokee ALL SOLD
Resident Web-Wheeler
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member # 113594
Location: Michigan
Posts: 532
Try this site for parts. https://www.hlsproparts.com/ They sell the Farmertec/Hutzl chinese parts, but stock them so shipping is quick.
prox621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Aggie06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 123554
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 707
Bumping this up, as I finally bought the parts the other day.

Going to try to get everything swapped over this afternoon. I ended up buying a new carb kit so I can replace fuels lines and everything while Im at it. Im leaving the bar alone for now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Aggie06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 123554
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 707
It took me a little longer than I was thinking to get everything swapped over, but the gas leak is fixed and the saw is up and running. You have to take the engine case apart to get it out of the old tank assembly, and into the new one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
RDR800's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Member # 30673
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 263
Anybody try one of those Farmertec saws?
__________________
"Never underestimate predictability of stupidity"

Last edited by RDR800; 09-14-2019 at 10:30 PM.
RDR800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Member # 226216
Location: Lewis County, Washington
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
it's a fuel tank, either it is leak free or you notice it is a colander when it shows up and get your money back

kind of interesting, you can build a whole stihl saw from chinese replacement parts for like $300

got a johnsered saw with a 'total' brand bar, seems to do just fine, the original had gotten too worn down at the end where the chain comes off the roller... on both the top and then the bottom after flipping it.


Some of those Chinese clones have oiling problems.
Also I have a MS250 and paid $245 on sale. So if your patient and wait buy it on sale its $55 cheaper to get the real deal.

Mine after 7? Years of hard use finally had the bar oiler give up. That should be an easy fix and after that many years and tanks through it that saw owes me nothing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member # 113594
Location: Michigan
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR800 View Post
Anybody try one of those Farmertec saws?
I have an MS660 that I bought the parts kit and assembled. Never had a chainsaw apart before. But, I put the kit together and it fired on a shot of either on the first pull. I threw a bar on it and made a couple cuts. It was bogging pretty bad. So, I know it needs some tuning and maybe more. When it cools off and I start cutting wood for the winter I will get it back out and mess with it. For $200 with free shipping I figured it was worth a try. There are some facebook groups dedicated to them. Lots of people running them. Even some pros who use them everyday.
prox621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebay clone stihl chainsaw parts? [email protected] General Chit-Chat 6 09-19-2018 02:06 PM
Iranian F14s Mikel General Chit-Chat 20 11-21-2015 03:37 PM
Reverse 205 shorty Fl-Krawler General 4x4 Discussion 88 06-01-2015 11:53 AM
RockAuto Wholesaler Closeout Parts RockAuto RockAuto 5 08-09-2013 09:34 AM
AK47 Parts Kits powthief19 Misc. Stuff For Sale 1 11-25-2012 07:48 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.