Miller Thunderbolt - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Miller Thunderbolt

Really is there a better name for a welder? I want to have the capability of running my Readywelder off of house power so my old Sears AC stick welder was not going to cut the mustard. I picked up a old Miller Thunderbolt off of craigslist for 100 bucks with no leads but I did get a set of pins. When I powered it up at home it did buzz but the fan did not go on. When I spun the handle on top the fan did go on but it didn't sound very happy. I will open it up next week and have a look inside of it. The top handle seemed like it had way too much friction on it and was difficult to turn.

Does anyone have one of these classics? Pic is not mine but looks to be the same model
Attached Images

ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 687834
my dad has one allot older than than. as far as I know, its still working.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
FWIW the model is called a Thunderbolt AC/DC and mine was made around 1982. I opened it up and blew out a couple of mouse nests and a half pound of dust and crap. A bit of oil on the moving parts inside and the shunt slides up and down nicely. A few drops of oil and the cooling fan is humming along fine. I am getting voltage readings on AC and DC but they are constant no matter of the amp settings but I don't think that is an issue as that is considered open center voltage? If I have time in the next couple of days I plan on hooking up the ready welder and giving it a go. If not than it will be buried for a while. For 100 bucks I think I did good.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
had an old Airco AC 225 for a while that was a Miller Thunderbolt with orange paint. All I had for a while was 30 amp dryer power so I could get about 110 amps out of it before it popped the breaker, but that was more than I needed at the time to burn 6011s on 1/4" steel in my poor boy garage.

I have much nicer now, but any time you get a DC stick welder for $100 or less I call it a win. Most of what you find are AC only machines. DC stick is so much nicer.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dr.Danger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
Really is there a better name for a welder? I want to have the capability of running my Readywelder off of house power so my old Sears AC stick welder was not going to cut the mustard. I picked up a old Miller Thunderbolt off of craigslist for 100 bucks with no leads but I did get a set of pins. When I powered it up at home it did buzz but the fan did not go on. When I spun the handle on top the fan did go on but it didn't sound very happy. I will open it up next week and have a look inside of it. The top handle seemed like it had way too much friction on it and was difficult to turn.

Does anyone have one of these classics? Pic is not mine but looks to be the same model
Got the same one at work, works great and handier than swapping leads on the syncrowave. Doesn't burn 6010 QUITE as good as the syncrowave, but more than adequate and it runs it a lot better than the mp210.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 38200
I have one. Use it occasionally for any stick welding I need, and I also have a scratch start TIG setup on it that works well enough.
Quick & Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in