Skid Steer brands - experiences - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
I've got 7 skid steer machines, 4 on wheels and 3 on tracks. 3 of them are Cat, 4 are Bobcat. We went back to Bobcat due to reliability, the Cat machines are very expensive to fix and seem to need a lot more TLC than the Bobcat machines do.

If you are on hard surfaces more often than not, go with a wheeled machine. If you run on soft surfaces go with tracks. We foam fill all of our tires and get them recapped just before the cords show up, if you get into the cords you need new tires. For tracks we have a winter pattern and a summer pattern and swap them with the seasons, summer pattern (standard construction pad lugs) are nearly useless on snow.
I wasn't aware one could recap skid steer tires - I assumed they'd rip off from side load.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Ya, who would ever buy a no name brand like Komatsu?
he must not get out much
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #53 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Ya, who would ever buy a no name brand like Komatsu?
People have and now theyíre stuck with their obsolete machines. They made a CTL for a couple years and then dropped it.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
I wasn't aware one could recap skid steer tires - I assumed they'd rip off from side load.
Foam filled tires are really a one shot use. Most of the time the sidewalls are too fawked up or weak or the foam is breaking down making them a waste to recap. Depending on how far down you wear the tires tread may void a recap as well as too much stuff stuck into the tire like nails and trash.

Better route is to run brawler solidflex wheel/tire assy. More money up front but huge savings long term. You can recap the brawlers up to four times. Theyíre lighter then a foam filled tire assy as well. Holes cast in the sidewalls allow for softer ride then a foam filled tire and allow rocks and that to pass through between the tire and a set of OTT steel tracks without causing drivechain failures.

Name:  6C39D742-6A19-4B81-AB75-83A6D554ED66.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  61.9 KB
Old 07-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
a box blade is not a laser grader. zero competition for bobcat in the laser grader realm.

skidsteer genius is working on adapting it to a kubota but I dont know if they are there yet.
The blades I sold were controlled by a laser and they were used by several different companies to grade out baseball ball fields and football fields for artificial turf applications. They performed beyond expectations.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Foam filled tires are really a one shot use. Most of the time the sidewalls are too fawked up or weak or the foam is breaking down making them a waste to recap. Depending on how far down you wear the tires tread may void a recap as well as too much stuff stuck into the tire like nails and trash.

Better route is to run brawler solidflex wheel/tire assy. More money up front but huge savings long term. You can recap the brawlers up to four times. Theyíre lighter then a foam filled tire assy as well. Holes cast in the sidewalls allow for softer ride then a foam filled tire and allow rocks and that to pass through between the tire and a set of OTT steel tracks without causing drivechain failures.

Attachment 2935952
those look great for getting rocks stuck in the holes
Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
People have and now theyíre stuck with their obsolete machines. They made a CTL for a couple years and then dropped it.
The way you worded it, made it sound like you were saying komatsu was some off brand like mustang.

Komatsu is the 2nd largest heavy equipment manufacturer in the world and in a lot of peoples opinion, the best. From what I found on Google, they still make them, they just don't bring them to the US. Probably because the market is flooded with a million different options. I would imagine they still carry parts for the machines, but like any equipment, how good your local dealer is can be one of the biggest factors in buying a machine.

Im surprised we haven't seen a Dewalt or kobalt branded machine yet though
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Dealer support for sure is a big consideration.

We have a John Deere dealer around here. One would think they could order any John Deere part.

Go in there for a part for logging equipment and they go... "huh?". Not, not a skid steer... a SKIDDER.

They handle John Deere.. sort of. Pretty much just mini tractors to maybe 40ish hp and that's it.

They also are a Bobcat dealer, and they are pretty decent for parts and service.

Call Pape out of Oregon and the guy can pull up who owned the machine, what all parts were sold for it, etc, etc in a few seconds.

Last edited by nate379; 07-03-2019 at 11:04 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 53528
mustangs were just rebranded Takeuchi's and were actually good for an "off brand"
Old 07-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post

We have a John Deere dealer around here. One would think they could order any John Deere part.

Go in there for a part for logging equipment and they go... "huh?". Not, not a skid steer... a SKIDDER.

They handle John Deere.. sort of. Pretty much just mini tractors to maybe 40ish hp and that's it.

They also are a Bobcat dealer, and they are pretty decent for parts and service.

Call Pape out of Oregon and the guy can pull up who owned the machine, what all parts were sold for it, etc, etc in a few seconds.
This is what I hate about John deere. Around here, there are completely separate dealers for the green machines and the yellow machines. I'm not sure where forestry equipment would fall through since it's green, but more than likely shares more parts with the construction equipment.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #61 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
those look great for getting rocks stuck in the holes
No not really. Mud gets in them but once itís dry, it just crumbles out. It would truly amaze you just how tough and durable they are. Before Deere came out with a CTL I sold the shit out of them along with OTT grouser steel tracks. That setup puts a rubber tired only machine to shame. Turns the unit into a small crawler.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #62 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:

AG dealers can not sell construction machine parts and vs versa. The dealer has to have the Deere CWP (commercial worksite products) contract to sell those machines under that group. AG and construction dealers can have CWP contracts
Old 07-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #63 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
mustangs were just rebranded Takeuchi's and were actually good for an "off brand"
No, mustangs are owned by gehl today and gehl mfg the CTL for both brands. Takeuchi did make their first several years of CTL units though until gehl designed their own unit.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #64 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
This is what I hate about John deere. Around here, there are completely separate dealers for the green machines and the yellow machines. I'm not sure where forestry equipment would fall through since it's green, but more than likely shares more parts with the construction equipment.
It is that way and always has been since the 60ís separate entities. Forestry is under construction umbrella.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
No, mustangs are owned by gehl today and gehl mfg the CTL for both brands. Takeuchi did make their first several years of CTL units though until gehl designed their own unit.
did you miss the part that said "were" as in past tense

and they were, you even said so
Old 07-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Makes no sense to me, or anyone else around here. If I have a Ford, I can go to the Ford house and orders parts, doesn't matter if it's for a car or semi truck.

The dealer where I grew up sells everything Deere... yard tractors, farm tractors, forestry equipment, construction equipment, etc

Quote:
AG dealers can not sell construction machine parts and vs versa. The dealer has to have the Deere CWP (commercial worksite products) contract to sell those machines under that group. AG and construction dealers can have CWP contracts

Last edited by nate379; 07-06-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #67 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Makes no sense to me, or anyone else around here. If I have a Ford, I can go to the Ford house and orders parts, doesn't matter if it's for a car or semi truck.

The dealer where I grew up sells everything Deere... yard tractors, farm tractors, forestry equipment, construction equipment, etc
Itís because Deere operates those devisions of their company separately. You look at deere as one big single company but in reality deere is built like separate silos of companies. It used to be AG, construction, lawn and grounds care and CWP started out under lawn and grounds care. Somewhere in there is the golf equipment product line but Iím not sure if thatís independent or in with lawn and grounds care. Deere has other branches as well like financing, John Deere landscapes and a host of other stuff. Years back the AG side took over the lawn and grounds care branch if memory serves me right and CWP went under the construction umbrella. This all happened in the early 2000ís.

Deere runs a business model, that while frustrating to some people, is meant for their survival. Each branch has to preform independent from other branches of their organization. Itís not something the public sees really other then the different stores for product. But itís really a smart model they use. Example for this model is like years ago when deere bought the homelite equipment line company. It blew my mind they would do that at the time as it was a shitty company producing crap products. Deere kept it a separate company through their ownership. Then some years later they sold it off.

Now, take new holland and case product lines. New holland was bought by fiat around the late 80ís early 90ís timeframe. Then, as cases stock was below $1.00 and I thought they were ripe for a take over, BAM, fiat took them over. Today they are CNH. Fiat runs a different business model which is geared towards cost reduction mfging. Sounds great right? Well itís comes with a price. So they wound up moving the east new holland mfging plant to Kansas into the case mfging plant. Case CTLís and ssldrs (skid steer loaders) are now made on the same assy lines. Today they are the same machine just different colored paint and decals. A bunch of tractors are the same thing. Itís efficient to consolidate all this stuff being built like this right? Sure I suppose so. The price of it in the long run? Well that happens to fiat a lot in their world from building refrigerators to cars and etc. when one brand item their building in their consolidated plants dies off and needs to be sold off or liquidated, fiat is stuck like a pig with it. How can they sell the brand off along with the mfging process with it without affecting other brands on the same line? They canít and itís hurt them in the past.

Anywho, thatís why you donít see one deere dealership selling parts for everything deere made or makes in the equipment world.

My guess is up in AK that dealership has the contracts for those product lines for deere equipment. Usually theyíre not under the same roof but in separate buildings run as separate businesses.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #68 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
did you miss the part that said "were" as in past tense

and they were, you even said so
Missed your were.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Well... the 773 is down again. Hydraulic pressure idiot light popped on. Changed filter and noticed the system is leaking through the pressure sensor... streaming out the weather pack connector. Part in order, hoping it’s just 25 years of use and not a massive pressure spike.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Itís because Deere operates those devisions of their company separately. You look at deere as one big single company but in reality deere is built like separate silos of companies. It used to be AG, construction, lawn and grounds care and CWP started out under lawn and grounds care. Somewhere in there is the golf equipment product line but Iím not sure if thatís independent or in with lawn and grounds care. Deere has other branches as well like financing, John Deere landscapes and a host of other stuff. Years back the AG side took over the lawn and grounds care branch if memory serves me right and CWP went under the construction umbrella. This all happened in the early 2000ís.

Deere runs a business model, that while frustrating to some people, is meant for their survival. Each branch has to preform independent from other branches of their organization. Itís not something the public sees really other then the different stores for product. But itís really a smart model they use. Example for this model is like years ago when deere bought the homelite equipment line company. It blew my mind they would do that at the time as it was a shitty company producing crap products. Deere kept it a separate company through their ownership. Then some years later they sold it off.

Now, take new holland and case product lines. New holland was bought by fiat around the late 80ís early 90ís timeframe. Then, as cases stock was below $1.00 and I thought they were ripe for a take over, BAM, fiat took them over. Today they are CNH. Fiat runs a different business model which is geared towards cost reduction mfging. Sounds great right? Well itís comes with a price. So they wound up moving the east new holland mfging plant to Kansas into the case mfging plant. Case CTLís and ssldrs (skid steer loaders) are now made on the same assy lines. Today they are the same machine just different colored paint and decals. A bunch of tractors are the same thing. Itís efficient to consolidate all this stuff being built like this right? Sure I suppose so. The price of it in the long run? Well that happens to fiat a lot in their world from building refrigerators to cars and etc. when one brand item their building in their consolidated plants dies off and needs to be sold off or liquidated, fiat is stuck like a pig with it. How can they sell the brand off along with the mfging process with it without affecting other brands on the same line? They canít and itís hurt them in the past.

Anywho, thatís why you donít see one deere dealership selling parts for everything deere made or makes in the equipment world.

My guess is up in AK that dealership has the contracts for those product lines for deere equipment. Usually theyíre not under the same roof but in separate buildings run as separate businesses.

Thanks for the info.

I ran into a similar headache with Kubota. Put a log into the radiator of my 35hp Kubota engine. Ultra shitty guarding on the machine.

Called local Kubota outfit, they couldn't even pull up any info with the data tag info from my engine.

Eventually found out Kubota "power plant isn't the same as Kubota tractor.
And the powerplant stuff is a real bitch to get parts for, there are only a few dealers in the US and they don't deal with the public. IE have to go through the equipment manufacture, they then go through Kubota.
Ended up costing over $600 for the radiator. I beefed the guarding up after that, which has saved my ass a few times since.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #71 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I ran into a similar headache with Kubota. Put a log into the radiator of my 35hp Kubota engine. Ultra shitty guarding on the machine.

Called local Kubota outfit, they couldn't even pull up any info with the data tag info from my engine.

Eventually found out Kubota "power plant isn't the same as Kubota tractor.
And the powerplant stuff is a real bitch to get parts for, there are only a few dealers in the US and they don't deal with the public. IE have to go through the equipment manufacture, they then go through Kubota.
Ended up costing over $600 for the radiator. I beefed the guarding up after that, which has saved my ass a few times since.
Fawk all that. Ida just had an aftermarket one made out of aluminum.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Fawk all that. Ida just had an aftermarket one made out of aluminum.
No radiator shops in the area.
Thought of just making a car radiator work, but didn't really want to ghetto fab only a couple year old piece of equipment
Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Send a message via AIM to dethmachinefab
Quote:
No radiator shops in the area.
Thought of just making a car radiator work, but didn't really want to ghetto fab only a couple year old piece of equipment
If you need more parts for it i have a good relationship with a Kubota power product dealer that will sell direct to me.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmachinefab View Post
If you need more parts for it i have a good relationship with a Kubota power product dealer that will sell direct to me.
Will keep that in mind.

I was able to get the parts through the outfit that built the processor, but I'd imagine they took their slice of bread on the cost too.

We rebuild some of the hydraulics on one of the machines, I just went direct to Permco and got the pumps and motors for $500-600 area when the manufacture quoted close to 2k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in