M18 Favorite Batteries? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 189302
M18 Favorite Batteries?

I bought an impact/drill combo a couple weeks ago for $149.00 shipped. I didn't notice the batteries were 1.5Ah. The batteries will be nice for tight spaces, or lots of overhead work, but damn they die quickly.

The 5.0Ah is on my buy list. However, do you guys have a favorite, go-to battery? My old Hitachi drill I passed onto my dad had 2.5Ah batteries. In 10 hours of work, I'd have to swap those batteries every 4-5 hours of hard use. Kind of wondering if the M18 2.5's or 3.0's have similar run times. Screwing down deck boards and such, the 1.5 are done after maybe an hour.

With all the tools Milwaukee offers in this line, a good amount of batteries seems like a solid investment.
FleshEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I have the 1.5's that came with a lot of my tools and the 3.0's. Changing batteries is no big deal to me. I have two chargers setup and just keep them full. I have enough spare batteries to keep a waiting line next to the chargers. I don't think I'd want anything bigger than the 3.0's.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
I probably have 10 or more batteries from 1.5 to 9 amps. I prefer to use the lightest battery I can in all of the tools. For drill and small impact 1.5 or 2 amp is fine. For grinder, sawzall, circular saw 5 amp, and for the big blower 9 amp. Are you up in a lift or scaffold or cave or something that makes changing batteries difficult?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 189302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I have the 1.5's that came with a lot of my tools and the 3.0's. Changing batteries is no big deal to me. I have two chargers setup and just keep them full. I have enough spare batteries to keep a waiting line next to the chargers. I don't think I'd want anything bigger than the 3.0's.
A 3.0 is probably cheaper than a 5.0, too. As of right now I only have 2 batteries, so I need more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
I probably have 10 or more batteries from 1.5 to 9 amps. I prefer to use the lightest battery I can in all of the tools. For drill and small impact 1.5 or 2 amp is fine. For grinder, sawzall, circular saw 5 amp, and for the big blower 9 amp. Are you up in a lift or scaffold or cave or something that makes changing batteries difficult?
I keep my charger in the shop and work elsewhere on my land. It's just frustrating having a battery die every hour or so, especially when working in the hot sun.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
don't know nothin'

Member # 136902
I have 1.5,3,5,9 amp. They all have there place. Just got a chainsaw that came with 12amp. Saw and weedeater wear batts down quick. I prefer the larger batts on the impact,seems to have more power.
ridenby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 189302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenby View Post
I have 1.5,3,5,9 amp. They all have there place. Just got a chainsaw that came with 12amp. Saw and weedeater wear batts down quick. I prefer the larger batts on the impact,seems to have more power.
Impacts do. My battery was half full today and wouldn't loosen a bolt torqued at 60 ft lbs.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37016
I run XC5.0 for almost everything. I have 2 XC3.0 that work fine but dont last on grinders or anything so keep those on drill or impact driver. Also have 12.0 for blower and big impact. I need a few more batteries and will be buying XC5.0. Dont see need for anything bigger 90% of the time and they last all day when sheeting my building with 100s and 100s of tek screws.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
I have nothing but 5.0s at home and am absolutely happy with them for my drill, grinder, impact, and circular saw. Been using them all day at the folks house doing house repair.

At work I have a lot of 2.0s for a set of drills and an impact. They work fine for the use they see. I am going to get one for home simply so I can use the drill and impact in tighter spaces, but do not forsee going smaller than 5.0 for any other purchases.

Remember, a 4.0 is more than twice the chooch of a 2.0 electrically speaking. (see AvE M18 video for explanation). It is absolutely noticable jumping up to the larger sizes.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
5.0 are my usual go to on stuff. I also have a couple of 12.0 batteries that I use on the grinder and backpack vacuum.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 125523
In my workvan I have a bunch of 5.0s and one 9.0

Get the 5.0s. You can get them on ebay for a decent price from people that separate kits.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 70148
FYI, stay away from clone batteries. I've got two "4.0ah" knockoff batteries and they aren't great. Fine for a radio or small light but they last about 25% as long as a genuine 4.0ah in anything high demand I've tried them in. They aren't enough cheaper that they would be worth buying any more.

I've only got 4's and 5's and the only complaint to me is the weight at some times. I'd like to have a 1.5 or two for the 1/4" impact.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41764
I run 2.0's in all the 1/4 rattle guns and 1/2 drills. The lack of weight is the key for me as I'm always seemingly dragging them up ladders.

I have a couple XC5.0s that are saved for grinder/blower/circular saw use. They need the XC power to actually do the job.

bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 189302
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
FYI, stay away from clone batteries. I've got two "4.0ah" knockoff batteries and they aren't great. Fine for a radio or small light but they last about 25% as long as a genuine 4.0ah in anything high demand I've tried them in. They aren't enough cheaper that they would be worth buying any more.

I've only got 4's and 5's and the only complaint to me is the weight at some times. I'd like to have a 1.5 or two for the 1/4" impact.
I was looking on eBay and was questioning some of the prices on there. Anyway to tell a knock off from a genuine Milwaukee battery?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 646642
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
I was looking on eBay and was questioning some of the prices on there. Anyway to tell a knock off from a genuine Milwaukee battery?
Mostly by design, and price. 5ah is 48-11-1850 I think. Set your minimum price to $40 or so to weed out most crap.
distrophe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
I bought a clone battery on ebay by accident, a very disappointing POS
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
X2 on them having the Milwaukee part number. You can usually tell from the pics as well since the knockoffs have different but similar paint jobs, without the actual Milwaukee logo. I personally won't buy batteries anywhere else. It's criminal what Home Depot charges for them. You can get pairs of batteries new in packaging for much less than store prices, especially if you snag them on a 15% off everything sale.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 189302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
X2 on them having the Milwaukee part number. You can usually tell from the pics as well since the knockoffs have different but similar paint jobs, without the actual Milwaukee logo. I personally won't buy batteries anywhere else. It's criminal what Home Depot charges for them. You can get pairs of batteries new in packaging for much less than store prices, especially if you snag them on a 15% off everything sale.
Man, I know. I saw a 5.0 there for fawkin $129. ONE battery!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 174683
I wait for a sale online for a tool I’m looking to buy that includes a free battery. They happen a lot, I’m up to 8 batteries for M18 stuff, 6 M12s. I have multiples of everything from a 1.5 to a 9 and am selective about what battery is on what tool but IF I had to pick ONLY one it would be a 5. They are a similar size weight to the 4s but I feel like their power is noticeable

Last edited by tab2; 06-19-2019 at 07:52 PM.
tab2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 11:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 189239
I Have eight 5.0 and two 1.5 and use the hell out of a grinder, leaf blower, and impact guns and have only wanted a 9.0 or 12.0 battery a few times. The 5s get the job done every time. I save the 1.5 for the flash light.
YROC FAB. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 53528
milwaukee brand only, i tried the cheapo ones and they suck

i mostly run 5.0s but i love my 12.0 for the 7-1/4" circular saw and 1/2" impact
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 1889
1.5's for the flashlight and little 1/4" impact, also OK for a quick job in the drill. The only others I have are a 4 and a 9; they go in the grinder, sawzall, and big impact, and drill if I'm doing more than a couple holes or stuff bigger than 1/2". The big impact will run on the 1.5's enough to change a tire, but probably not enough to do all four.
The 4 and 5 AH batteries are pretty close in weight, size, cost, if you can find a promo deal for one or the other, get some. The 9 AH battery I have came in a promo pack with a Fuel sawzall, I probably wouldn't have bought it standalone, but in the sawzall or grinder, I'm very happy to have it. It makes the little impact and drill a bit awkward IMO.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 20099
I need to get the next bigger than the 5. It runs out while vacuuming the house with just a few mins left to do.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
I need to get the next bigger than the 5. It runs out while vacuuming the house with just a few mins left to do.
Ask you husband for a spare battery?

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 174683
Quote:
Haha that makes me not want to tell him that the 9.0 will do my hardwood floors in the house and 2 cars on one charge
tab2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
I used to have a cleaning lady come, but that got expensive.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in