Lathe ? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 210036
I scooped a chinesium CNC 12X36 for 2K here in BC with tooling, delivered, but I think that's a rarity. I'm not too sure about prices on that one but ti looks like a devent piece provided the ways aren't smoked.

My only hiccup is my hatred for anything Schneider (Telemechanique) be it Servo, Soft Start or VFD variety. If it's stand-alone and hears me bitching about it, it will likely be just fine, but the first time is hiccups or even flinches, start looking for a replacement. Nothing sounds better then those POS's hitting the bottom of a dumpster.
BSInc. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSInc. View Post
My only hiccup is my hatred for anything Schneider (Telemechanique) be it Servo, Soft Start or VFD variety. If it's stand-alone and hears me bitching about it, it will likely be just fine, but the first time is hiccups or even flinches, start looking for a replacement. Nothing sounds better then those POS's hitting the bottom of a dumpster.
I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure I won't use it enough to have it die immediately.

Unfortunately if it dies I will likely be replacing it with a Chinese one. Not sure that would be any sort of upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblow View Post
If your picking the lathe up your going to want a forklift with long blades and lifting straps. You'll have it loaded and unloaded quickly. On transporting I would place on a long pallet and strap it to the pallet than strap to truck. You can also use the pallet and long forks on the forklift to lift on and off your truck or trailer. I just moved a mill and lathe 5 hours one way and that's how I did it. Forklift was well worth it!!
I don't have one and rental is about $300, plus I have to get it there, and a forklift that can pick that lathe up would possibly be too heavy for my trailer (no way the ramps would take it even if the trailer can). Maybe it's easier if you have one on site or have a cheap rental with a trailer, I think it would just add a bunch of time. Plus I can't use one at my end, not that it matters, as said I'll just pick it off with the overhead hoist and maybe some minor fuckery. If I was there when he had the one for his new lathe rented already it would be great, but I won't be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 155086
I don't have one and rental is about $300, plus I have to get it there, and a forklift that can pick that lathe up would possibly be too heavy for my trailer (no way the ramps would take it even if the trailer can). Maybe it's easier if you have one on site or have a cheap rental with a trailer, I think it would just add a bunch of time. Plus I can't use one at my end, not that it matters, as said I'll just pick it off with the overhead hoist and maybe some minor fuckery. If I was there when he had the one for his new lathe rented already it would be great, but I won't be.[/QUOTE]

Its going to be a lot of fuckery. Most rental places will deliver the forklift on site. I paid for a forklift to pick and drop off as the lathe was 6 hours away drive for me. I placed it in my shop as far as I could rig it with forklift with long forks and that's were it stayed. It way faster.

Maybes put it on a long pallet and use to pallet jacks one in front and one behind to move were you want.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 53453
So only 3~ months later and this guy finally is ready to sell the thing to me.

Somewhat lucky, because I'd given up and was plotting how I would go buy a brand new one.

He knows the guy at the rental place, and they will deliver the forklift for him since he rents them all the time.

So yeah, should be easy. Just gotta see if this all happens or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DirtyComanche; 09-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 8274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
So only 3~ months later and this guy finally is ready to sell the thing to me.

Somewhat lucky, because I'd given up and was plotting how I would go buy a brand new one.

He knows the guy at the rental place, and they will deliver the forklift for him since he rents them all the time.

So yeah, should be easy. Just gotta see if this all happens or not.
How are you unloading?

The few times I have had to load/unload my equipment, I normally find one of those turf forklifts that climb on the back of the Home Hardware truck.. they charge about $100.. and haven't had any problems with the weight so far. But you will need to supply your own rigging, those guys are used to just grabbing pallets.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
How are you unloading?

The few times I have had to load/unload my equipment, I normally find one of those turf forklifts that climb on the back of the Home Hardware truck.. they charge about $100.. and haven't had any problems with the weight so far. But you will need to supply your own rigging, those guys are used to just grabbing pallets.
I have an overhead hoist in my shop. Back trailer in, lift it 2", pull trailer out, lower it down.

His driveway is a fucking disaster, so once I saw it I abandoned all hope of afroengineering the means of loading it. Like broken asphalt that's got obvious sink holes in it.

I don't know if anyone here other than the Homodepot has one of those forklifts. They'd probably work good though... But as it is he says he can get the rental guy to just drop off their midsized forklift for the evening, so that's pretty simple for the money. It would have been simpler if he just told me originally that he knows the rental place and gets a deal on the forklift, since when I called them it was all "Oh, yeah, we have to rent you the trailer too, and the minimum charge is..."

Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 8274
If you make the pallet the right size... it fits right in.

When I loaded the first time I hired a rigger.. $1000 later, and they were difficult to deal with.

I'll use these guys from now on at $100/hr delivered.

Last edited by Inferno; 09-10-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
I moved mine on heavy duty pallet and I left it on the pallet to this day. I know it probably makes the bed not straight, but I don't do work in the "tenths".

Last edited by waterhorse; 09-11-2019 at 07:26 AM.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
My garage floor sucks and is no where near flat. I ended up anchoring and leveling my 12x36 Chinese lathe. I went from a bubble on a machinist's level basically going from 1 extreme to the other to it staying within 1 set of marks (.005" over a foot) for the whole length of travel of the carriage. I just fired it up the other day and the first job was a facing job so I'm not sure how true it is over the length of travel but it should help. If you have access to a pile of shims and 4 anchors I'd give it a go.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
I bought home a new toy yesterday. Took 3 hours to load it from the seller's shop using a chain come-a-long. Too 30 minutes to unload it in mine using gravity, a pallet jack and my new set of skates.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Nice looking lathe!

What kind of skates? I grabbed a set of 4 skates at the local farm junkyard place the other day... I couldn't pass em up!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
Nice looking lathe!

What kind of skates? I grabbed a set of 4 skates at the local farm junkyard place the other day... I couldn't pass em up!
"Multiton" which I think are now called "Multiroll", made in Richmond VA. I've been casually looking for a deal on a set because they would sure help reduce the sketchiness in some of my unloading and moving adventures. These popped up on FB for $250 and I couldn't get to them fast enough.

The guy selling them worked in a local plant and retired when when closed down. He bought a lathe from plant for his son and took these skates to move the lathe. Apparently they've been sitting in his garage for like 12 years untouched. Still have the McMaster label on them.

They're rated for 30k lbs, I believe combined for all 4. That ~3,500 lb lathe rolls effortlessly on them.

Can't find them for less than $1500 for this exact set online right now.

https://handtrucks2go.com/MultiRoll-...oller-Kit.html
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Nice. I got a set of Hillman rollers. Well 2 of them are Hillman rollers and two are some other brand, but they are all the chain roller style similar to these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-HI...oAAOSwYMlc4qzF

I need to build a handle for them, but yeah I got mine for $200 for the set of 4. Couldn't pass it up!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 161963
Another cheap option for unloading stuff is a wrecker. We just used one to move a 15,000 lbs shear. Cost 300$ to load, drive across town and unload the truck. Riggers wanted about $4000 to do the same thing.
Tizken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
I bought home a new toy yesterday. Took 3 hours to load it from the seller's shop using a chain come-a-long. Too 30 minutes to unload it in mine using gravity, a pallet jack and my new set of skates.
Nice! Looks like you need a bigger shop. Those skates are cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizken View Post
Another cheap option for unloading stuff is a wrecker. We just used one to move a 15,000 lbs shear. Cost 300$ to load, drive across town and unload the truck. Riggers wanted about $4000 to do the same thing.
Good idea there.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Nice! Looks like you need a bigger shop. Those skates are cool too.

Larger shop or less shit. Either way.

Getting rid of the old Atlas as soon as I find a buyer willing to pay for it. Once the 1/4" of paint (at least 6 layer from what I can tell) is scraped off the new Cincinnati and I get it all cleaned up, it's going on the back wall and should fit nicely next to the CNC. Jury is still out on if I'm keeping the Lagun mill in the background. It was too cheap to not buy, but I also don't really need it.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Once the 1/4" of paint (at least 6 layer from what I can tell) is scraped off the new Cincinnati

god I hate the person who'd paint a machine
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #43 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post

god I hate the person who'd paint a machine
This thing came out of a plant in NJ. I'm putting money on union workers making work because unions.

There were places where the paint was just gobbed over grease and chips. Almost all of it us just flaking off with minimal effort from me.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Whoever said this was more than 2200lbs was right. My load cell tops out there, and I only had one half of it off the trailer deck.

If you never hear from me again it's because I'm about to do some sketchy shit.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Whoever said this was more than 2200lbs was right. My load cell tops out there, and I only had one half of it off the trailer deck.

Can we get some before pics?
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:

Just a quick google search for a 6236 says

Net weight/Gross weight 1970/2320 (I'm assuming kilograms)

In freedom units, that's 4343 to 5114 lbs.

Not sure what net/gross means in this case. Actual weight vs. shipping weight?

Edit: found another on Alibaba that says 1450 kg (3196 lbs) so who the fuck knows?

Last edited by bgaidan; 09-23-2019 at 03:06 PM.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
BTW, you're going to hate that tool post. You should take it off and send it to me ASAP.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Just a quick google search for a 6236 says

Net weight/Gross weight 1970/2320 (I'm assuming kilograms)

In freedom units, that's 4343 to 5114 lbs.

Not sure what net/gross means in this case. Actual weight vs. shipping weight?

Edit: found another on Alibaba that says 1450 kg (3196 lbs) so who the fuck knows?
I'd found answers all over the place. One was 1800/2100lbs or something, and I didn't believe it could be that much more. Well, I believed wrong.

This one has a big f'ing cast iron base, so I think the variation in weights is dependent on what the base it made out of. Some appear to be welded/formed steel.

And gross/net is actual (as set up) versus shipping on a pallet/crate, at least that's what I was told.

We picked it up with a 5000lb forklift with no struggle, and slid it to the ends of the forks (or close). I think it's probably weighs 4000lbs though.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Shops a fucking disaster because other shit was going on until the minute I left to get this.

Here's how I made it work.

Now to see if I can move it on my f'ing POS car dollies or if I'll need to buy/build something better.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Trying to understand the pic. Is the chain hoist(s) on a beam that is part of the building with temporary wood braces giving some help?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in