Dual Voltage Welders - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Dual Voltage Welders

I have a 220v machine but it's just a cheapie Mig Pak 15 from Canadian Tire. I will be starting a project soon that will require body work and a 115v will be a bit friendlier for blowing holes in sheet metal.

I know about the Hobart MVP and I feel like this would be my first choice. I know Firepower has a dual voltage unit but I am not impressed. Any other obvious choices I should be reviewing? Miller has terrible reviews but I thought Hobart was Miller?
Unread 08-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25632
You know that a 120v machine can't be turned down less than a 240v machine right?

Just get some 0.023 wire and tips

But Fwiw, I love my Miller 211. Got for about $1100 otd after the sale and rebates. Nothing wrong with Hobart either.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
I've got a miller 211. It's a good machine, anything more than 1/8" on a 15 amp breaker and you'll pop the breaker. Running on 220 it's great for thicker stuff. Miller guns suck. I just replaced mine with a tweco knock off and it's much better. I can never get a miller liner to last and always run into bound up wire.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
You know that a 120v machine can't be turned down less than a 240v machine right?

Just get some 0.023 wire and tips

But Fwiw, I love my Miller 211. Got for about $1100 otd after the sale and rebates. Nothing wrong with Hobart either.
I did not know that, I guess I just assumed, ha we all know a 115v isn't good for 1/4"

the other reason I was thinking about dual voltage is because I presently do not have 240v at the new house

Last edited by [Memphis]; 08-17-2019 at 06:26 PM.
[Memphis] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 625826
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
I did not know that, I guess I just assumed, ha we all know a 115v isn't good for 1/4"

the other reason I was thinking about dual voltage is because I presently do not have 240v at the new house
Get a good quality 240V MIG and run it on a LiteFuze LT5000 voltage converter. That way you can run it off a regular 120V/20A outlet/breaker, and you can run any 240V 1-Φ welder up to the power limit of the outlet, which will be about 2400W. The advantage is that a good MIG welder usually has more adjustability and controls to fine-tune the arc to your liking.

This is my HTP Pro Pulse 220 running off a 120V/20A breaker that is being up-converted to 240V with the LiteFuze transformer. Like I said, the power output (and thus welding power) is limited to 2400W (which is roughly 110A of welding amperage at typical MIG voltages) because that is all the breaker will allow, but the main idea is that the machine doesn't know that the "real" power source is a standard 120V outlet, so it powers up and works, so long as you don't trip the breaker.
OscarJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
make a pigtail from your welder outlet to two 115v plugs
ground prong to grounds, each hot to one of the plugs' hots, neutrals floating (unless your welder has a 4 wire plug which I'd doubt)
plug the 115v plugs into two outlets on different breakers (out of phase) and hey presto it's 220v, same as a 220v outlet is wired
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 625826
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
make a pigtail from your welder outlet to two 115v plugs
ground prong to grounds, each hot to one of the plugs' hots, neutrals floating (unless your welder has a 4 wire plug which I'd doubt)
plug the 115v plugs into two outlets on different breakers (out of phase) and hey presto it's 220v, same as a 220v outlet is wired
That will also work and will provide 4,800W of power if the outlets have a solid 120V on them. 4,800W of power translates into a good ~170-180A of welding current for an inverter based welder (depending on the voltage output at the welder), and a whole lot less if it is a transformer welder. Just watch out for the flames for suggesting non code-compliant electrical advice! I got flamed for it!

Last edited by OscarJr; 08-19-2019 at 03:26 PM.
OscarJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
Just watch out for the flames for suggesting non code-compliant electrical advice! I got flamed for it!
fuck that, a lot of floor sanders are wired like that
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in