Checking for hydraulic cylinder bypassing internally? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 208487
Checking for hydraulic cylinder bypassing internally?

Not sure if this is the right forum but i figured shop and tools was the closest.

I have an older Komatsu PC-50UU1 mini excavator.

I might be imagining shit but i think the curl function has gotten significantly weaker. Fluid is at the correct level and isn't losing any so i think the pistion is bypassing internally.

I have no idea how to check this but i was thinking if i could unscrew whatever line is the retract function (bucket un-curl) and then curl the bucket like i normally would against a log and my thumb to pinch it in place i could see if the cylinder was leaking internally by seeing if any fluid comes out of the hole in the piston where i disconnected the line because that would be it bypassed internally.

Would that work or no?
HudsonN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
If it was bypassing internally then it must be creeping?

You could also install a ball valve on each hose, put the bucket in some position, close the valves and see if the bucket moves over a period of time. You could also use a chain block or ratchet strap to add tension to speed up the creeping.

I've got both bucket and boom creep on my skid steer and I've been planning to try the ball valve trick to see if it's internal to the cylinders or in the valve bank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.

Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; 09-11-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 82954
pressure setting might need adjusted. see that with thumbs a bit
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckin_Slusher View Post
If it was bypassing internally then it must be creeping?

You could also install a ball valve on each hose, put the bucket in some position, close the valves and see if the bucket moves over a period of time. You could also use a chain block or ratchet strap to add tension to speed up the creeping.

I've got both bucket and boom creep on my skid steer and I've been planning to try the ball valve trick to see if it's internal to the cylinders or in the valve bank.
That won't work with a single-ended cylinder, the volume/displacement doesn't stay the same even if it creeps. The open side takes more volume to fill than the shaft side so as it extends it'd have to pull more fluid from somewhere...you'd effectively be preventing your creep via vacuum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
That won't work with a single-ended cylinder, the volume/displacement doesn't stay the same even if it creeps. The open side takes more volume to fill than the shaft side so as it extends it'd have to pull more fluid from somewhere...you'd effectively be preventing your creep via vacuum.
Good point. Thanks.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
if the system spends a lot of time operating at relief pressure, the heat generated at the relief can weaken the spring over time and make the relief setpoint lower. Try replacing the relief first.
isbj60 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Send a message via AIM to jaluhn
The couple I've had (lift cylinder on a loader specifically) would seem to operate normally but then suddenly drop about 1" when you released the valve. Having enough bypass to make it significantly slow in movement would require the packing to be pretty much not there at all, and even then it should be load dependent. I'd suspect a valve issue before internal bypass.

If you put a gauge on the lines you should be able to see pressure essentially instantly equalize when the valve is released if it's truly bypassing.
jaluhn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 166485
sounds like piston o-ring needs changed

Quote:
37s on 1/2 tons were Obama's America
44s and 1 tons are Trump's America.
Overhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Actuators that I mess with typically have a case drain line back to tank, it is low pressure, the amount of fluid coming out of that port is a direct indication of the seal condition.

You say the the Curl function is weak, If it can't make load that also indicates actuator needs rebuilt.

You are gonna make a big fucking mess, done yet
Crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 208487
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
pressure setting might need adjusted. see that with thumbs a bit
It's a manual thumb. I've been wrong before but i don't think this thumb is causing me any issues.
HudsonN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
if the system spends a lot of time operating at relief pressure, the heat generated at the relief can weaken the spring over time and make the relief setpoint lower. Try replacing the relief first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonN View Post
It's a manual thumb. I've been wrong before but i don't think this thumb is causing me any issues.
what isbj60 said. the relief on thumbs are set so the bucket curl can over power them. so that relief is messed with more. but it could be the same thing for the other cylinder.

if the machine as a whole is weaker, its likely either a relief setting or a worn hydraulic pump. if the pump is getting older put thicker fluid in it. i think my log splitter is running straight bar oil anymore, but it will split anything.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 343737
before i pulled the cylinder to check/replace the o-ring, i'd pull the control valve to replace those o-rings and check the relief valve
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in