Recommend a hydraulic pump - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
Recommend a hydraulic pump

I've got a JD2 model 32 bender and I'm tired of my pos air over hydraulic pump. I want to upgrade to electric without going full retard on the money. Big project coming up that will need a fair amount of 2" tube so I might as well bite the bullet and buy a pump. Which one is is everyone using?
FirstRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
You've got to match the flow of the pump to the requirements of the piston. Get a pump with little flow but the right pressure, and it'll be slower than air over hydro. Vice-versa, it'll be too quick.

This was sized for a 40t ram in a hydraulic press operation based off some plans I found a year or so ago. Might work for you:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XKCZ118/
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
Thanks, that could work but I would really prefer something with a push button pendant instead of a manual valve. I need to be somewhat mobile while bending tube.

Last edited by FirstRam; 10-07-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 82954
this is what i bought for my jd2 but haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet. peddle opperated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you go that route, let us know how it goes

Last edited by tracyb; 10-07-2019 at 08:59 PM.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 155086
I went to my local hydraulic shop and they built me a kti pump. Bends 2" like butter. Its 12v, it has the push button on so only on when I need it to.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41764
I, like a lot of people, used this unit on my conversion:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...xoCBu8QAvD_BwE

I am using a log splitter valve though, not a pair of buttons to a solenoid valves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 82954
i should also add why i haven't hooked the pump i bought up yet...

whats you shop air pressure at? i used to run the compressor so it would hit 140psi tops, unregulated to all the shops air drops, so pressure could get much lower before it kicked on again. now i have it so the compressor kicks off at 175psi as its rated, and regulated to 140psi at each drop. getting rid of all 1/4" air line and only having 3/8" has made a big difference as well. i put off regulated drops and bigger line for a long time and in hindsight it should have been much higher on my list of priorities.

with consistant 140psi to the air over cylinder. it bends much faster, still not as good as an electric over would but close enough i dont think i'll get to hooking it up for a while. in the meantime i'm using the power pack to run all the porta-power attachments as its way better than a hand pump in most cases.

also if you can or dont mind using a 12v powered unit like on a dump trailer they are much less expensive, and have a hand pendant like you want. they are around $250 on amazon i've bought a half dozen of whatever was cheap for dump trucks and trailers and they have all worked without issue

Last edited by tracyb; 10-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
i should also add why i haven't hooked the pump i bought up yet...

whats you shop air pressure at? i used to run the compressor so it would hit 140psi tops, unregulated to all the shops air drops, so pressure could get much lower before it kicked on again. now i have it so the compressor kicks off at 175psi as its rated, and regulated to 140psi at each drop. getting rid of all 1/4" air line and only having 3/8" has made a big difference as well. i put off regulated drops and bigger line for a long time and in hindsight it should have been much higher on my list of priorities.

with consistant 140psi to the air over cylinder. it bends much faster, still not as good as an electric over would but close enough i dont think i'll get to hooking it up for a while. in the meantime i'm using the power pack to run all the porta-power attachments as its way better than a hand pump in most cases.

also if you can or dont mind using a 12v powered unit like on a dump trailer they are much less expensive, and have a hand pendant like you want. they are around $250 on amazon i've bought a half dozen of whatever was cheap for dump trucks and trailers and they have all worked without issue
I'm running 120 psi but, my pump is starting to leak and was never fast enough. I don't mind spending for a 120v unit, 12vdc would be more trouble than it's worth. I work in the film biz and travel for work, this needs to be really user friendly to accommodate the various snowflakes I work with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
this is what i bought for my jd2 but haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet. peddle opperated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you go that route, let us know how it goes
With a single solenoid, does it hold the ram position until you hit the "down" button?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bggrnchvy View Post
I, like a lot of people, used this unit on my conversion:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...xoCBu8QAvD_BwE

I am using a log splitter valve though, not a pair of buttons to a solenoid valves.

Are you using a double acting cylinder or a standard Power team single? I've got a SA cylinder, is there a spool valve that will advance, hold or release as needed?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
Quote:
Originally Posted by yblow View Post
I went to my local hydraulic shop and they built me a kti pump. Bends 2" like butter. Its 12v, it has the push button on so only on when I need it to.
Interested in more info and pump part #'s.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
Thanks for all of the input!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 155086
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yblow View Post
Interested in more info and pump part #'s.
Wci-12v-da-3000. Its 3000 psi pump. You can pick sa or da, or i think combo sa/da, you can pick the size of your tank. You can pick your gpm, I think mine is 2gpm. You can only purchase from a dealer of kti.

Those 120v ones on Amazon were kind of sceetch to me, they never really accurately reveal the gpm. The price of the kti was the same price as all the other ones and all I had to do was hook up to a battery and push a button. Its super quiet and is only running when I push the button.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:
With a single solenoid, does it hold the ram position until you hit the "down" button?
yes it does

looking at that northern tool pump now. thats the route i would go.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41764
Quote:
Are you using a double acting cylinder or a standard Power team single? I've got a SA cylinder, is there a spool valve that will advance, hold or release as needed?
I'm using a double acting, it's a 3x24" IIRC.

I believe you just need a 3 way 2 position to run a single acting cylinder. Center is closed (hold), one way is fluid from pump to ram, the other way is ram to reservoir.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
A quick sideways update, I ran out of time and just ordered one from JD2. Buy once...

Name:  B0181480-CBD7-4332-BD0B-5E1FA619886F.jpeg
Views: 88
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  44D37DD1-682A-476C-B003-4BB50894B208.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  107.9 KB
Old 11-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 155086
Nice set up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in