Milwaukee Batteries......good or junk? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 99570
Milwaukee Batteries......good or junk?

After buying a Milwaukee Fuel 9.0 AH High Output battery......I read the reviews on this particular battery.

https://www.milwaukeetool.ca/Product...ers/48-11-1890

Hummm. Reviews on the battery look pretty poor. Has anyone here bought / used the 9.0 battery? Thots?

I wonder if I should return it and buy two 5.0 AH batteries instead..... Will the power of the 9" grinder be down with "just" a 5.0AH battery? Or, just a shorter run time [ than a 9.0 AH battery ]

Yes, I know the 12.0 battery gets a *better*review than the 9.0 battery, as do the reviews on 5.0 AH batteries. Why is the 9.0 AH battery so different?
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 178200
I run the 9.0 on my Fuel 1/2" impact gun. No problems with it what so ever. Gun is used daily and I probably charge it once a week.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 82954
honestly never thought about it until this post...

i have a ton of m18 tools. and had 7or8 9.0 batterys at one point. i've junked at least 2 of them, at least one in under a years time. i number my batteries just so i can recognize when one is getting bad, for this reason.

the 9.0's definitely give the tool more power but, compared to the 5.0's they develop problems. of all the 5.0's i've junked i would say they have lasted at least 5years.

i wont buy batterys from amazon anymore, they appear to be genuine, not knock offs, but i've had a couple cases where out of the box they dont perform or are bad. these are they only ones i've returned.

i was just thinking about ordering more 9.0's maybe i'll go with the 12's i dont have any of those yet.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
honestly never thought about it until this post...

i have a ton of m18 tools. and had 7or8 9.0 batterys at one point. i've junked at least 2 of them, at least one in under a years time. i number my batteries just so i can recognize when one is getting bad, for this reason.

the 9.0's definitely give the tool more power but, compared to the 5.0's they develop problems. of all the 5.0's i've junked i would say they have lasted at least 5years.

i wont buy batterys from amazon anymore, they appear to be genuine, not knock offs, but i've had a couple cases where out of the box they dont perform or are bad. these are they only ones i've returned.

i was just thinking about ordering more 9.0's maybe i'll go with the 12's i dont have any of those yet.
You know the batteries have a 3 year warranty right? They even pay for shipping both ways.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Broke Bastard

Member # 1129
I have 4 9 ah batteries. I have never had a problem. You definitely notice the extra power in a grinder and weed trimmer.

My BIL has 6 or so 9 ah batteries and had 2 of them blow up. Well, not sure if they actually blew up or just caught fire, but the damage was about the same.

Both of them were being charged in a tool box on the truck with a square wave inverter and most likely had moisture in the area, so don't do that ...
Old 01-18-2020, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Both of them were being charged in a tool box on the truck with a square wave inverter and most likely had moisture in the area, so don't do that ...

That's EXACTLY how I charge my 9.0 battery on my service truck! No moisture in my toolboxes though. It has a Maintainer body on it that has a built in filtered air circulation system.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
You know the batteries have a 3 year warranty right? They even pay for shipping both ways.
Does not apply to the 9.0 batteries according to the reviews on the Milwaukee site posted above.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Does not apply to the 9.0 batteries according to the reviews on the Milwaukee site posted above.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...sp-keyfeatures

Says 3 year limited warranty on this page.

As everyone said though, lots of bad reviews on the 9.0 specifically.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53528
if you want 120v 15amp equivalent power then get a 12.0, they dont just last longer than a 5.0 they produce more power

i would hate life using a 5.0 battery with a 9" grinder after owning a 12.0 battery
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
5.0 are great.

9.0 are even better but do not put them in a grinder and expect it to live long.

2, 3, & 4.0 batteries are fine for low draw tools like the impact driver and radios/lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
I would not expect a 5.0 to last long at all in a 9" grinder.

3.0 only last about 10min in a 4.5" gei der and easily stall and bog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
yeah, i should keep better track and records, but i dont. i honestly use the dog snot out of these tools and batteries, they owe me nothing, and my time is better invested in other areas. i knowingly bleed allot of money in my work.

even if i were starting from scratch again i would 100% go with Milwaukee.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
5.0 are great.

9.0 are even better but do not put them in a grinder and expect it to live long.

2, 3, & 4.0 batteries are fine for low draw tools like the impact driver and radios/lights.
i try to use 9.0's in my grinders as much as possible. why does that effect their life?... do you mean useable life, or life between charges? the rapid chargers seem to charge faster than i use up a battery. generally if the battery life is less i consider it a corded grinder job.

based on this thread i will be ordering some 12.0's probably monday, unless i hear reason not too. the top three m18 tools i use the most in order are, grinders, portaband ( full size fuel, and smaller non fuel), and drill. the wife stole and now uses one of the vacuums more than any other vacuum in the house.

i also recently noticed they now have 6.0 and 8.0 batteries, why? curious as to which high output battery is the most stable/ longest lasting
Old 01-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Ive lost 2 4.5" grinders to my idiot workers feeding them 9.0 till the smoke lets out.

5.0 last till the motor needs to rest and the grinder needs to cool off.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
yeah, i should keep better track and records, but i dont. i honestly use the dog snot out of these tools and batteries, they owe me nothing, and my time is better invested in other areas. i knowingly bleed allot of money in my work.

even if i were starting from scratch again i would 100% go with Milwaukee.
How much does a 9.0 cost? $150?

The time I used their warranty, it was on a drill. The salesman was at home depot, he looked up the serial number through their website and it was still under warranty. Filled out a little thing and printed a shipping label. A week or so later a new drill arrived.

I realize that trying to get time to do all that can be a pain, but if you ha e more than one dead battery, it should be worth your time.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 01-18-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 189302
I switched from Hitachi to Milwaukee. I've noticed these Milwaukee batteries are about useless in the cold. Never had an issue with my Hitachi. Keep them warm and I have had good luck with my Milwaukees.
FleshEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 83301
i have 9ah and 5ah and 1.5ah....the 9.0 of a beast.....the 1.5 is handy for the weight...but lacks runtime and balls

also never had a cold weather issue. My garage is unheated, in northeast winter, hold charge and run normal.

Last edited by pennsylvaniaboy; 01-22-2020 at 09:39 AM.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
My m28 batteries lasted anywhere from 8-12 years... most a long time, the ones that died did die very fast but majority lasted for a long long long time.

My m18 batteries so far are great, have 3 or 4 9ah, one of the new 12ah, half dozen of the smaller ones, the 9ah is mostly used in sawz-all and skillsaw.

I'll continue to add m18 and m12 tools and batteries to my shop that's for sure
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in