automotive code reader - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 113594
automotive code reader

Have a basic code reader that will read general trouble codes. Looking for something a bit more advanced that would be able to read TCM codes on my 04 Duramax. Anybody have a recommendation? Thinking about trying this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...78921099f807d3
prox621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Snooty Poser

Member # 83100
I have the Innova 3100j OBD2 Scanner / Car Code Reader with ABS, SRS, and Service Light Reset, currently a little cheaper. It has worked well on all of the different cars that I have used it on.

My truck is a 2001 DRW GMC 3500 with the Duramax, it read all of my issues.

OTOH, I know nothing about the model you listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
The older I get the more I realize mayhem is for young people who don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BeatCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 113594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
I have the Innova 3100j OBD2 Scanner / Car Code Reader with ABS, SRS, and Service Light Reset, currently a little cheaper. It has worked well on all of the different cars that I have used it on.

My truck is a 2001 DRW GMC 3500 with the Duramax, it read all of my issues.

OTOH, I know nothing about the model you listed.
Looks like it should do what I need. Going to give it a try unless anyone else suggest something they think is better. https://www.amazon.com/Innova-3100j-...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Old 02-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43079
I've gone to using a good adapter and the laptop. The laptop allows alot more graphs and plotting on the larger screen. Most software can be had cheap or addon modules to where you are the price of a dedicated scanner.

I find it handier though.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 113594
I picked up the Innova mentioned earlier. It is showing me lots of codes that my other scanner didn't. Now I just have to figure out the cause!
Old 02-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 136471
I picked up a bluetooth dongle and was able to use OBD Fusion on my Andriod. You have to buy a licence for each vehicle you are looking to scan, but it was only $30 all said and done.
boardbysled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardbysled View Post
I picked up a bluetooth dongle and was able to use OBD Fusion on my Andriod. You have to buy a licence for each vehicle you are looking to scan, but it was only $30 all said and done.
For Android, get Torque Pro and you can read everything that OBD Fusion can with unlimited vehicles for $5 (plus the cost of the adapter) and it supports extended PIDs (readable datapoints) for a lot more manufacturers and read all generic codes.
Neither will let you read/clear ABS or manufacturer specific codes though.
ForScan (Windows) and ForScan Lite are free and will let you read ALL Ford error codes (as well as program keys, turn features on and off, etc in the Windows version).
I borrowed an Innova 31603 from a guy at work to read/clear ABS codes on a 2005 Yukon and it did well.

Aaron Z

Last edited by aczlan; 02-11-2020 at 06:11 PM.
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in