DIY Shop Tools - Low Buck Solvent Tank - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9801
DIY Shop Tools - Low Buck Solvent Tank

Take one old oil drum, cut it in half long ways. Build a frame to cover the top out of some scrap 1" angle iron (or what ever). Make sure to use the half that has the bung in it, so you can drain the tank out to change the fluid. Then use some old scrap expanded metal in the bottom to keep your clean parts out of the sediment that seperates out.

I made the pivot out of some 1.5" sch 80 pipe, some oilite drill bushings (available from McMaster, or the like) and some 1.25" Cold Rolled 1018 bar stock. The cover fits snug over the frame, to seal off the tank from sparks and what not, and is constructed from 16ga mild steel, and some 3/4" MDF to add strength for using it as a seat or whatever.

I installed 4 setscrews per bushing to keep the bushing from rotating inside the pipe, rather than the rod rotating inside the bushings. They also hold the bushings all to one side of the pipe, so that they dont bind on the rod.

I made the brackets with some 2 by 3 x 3/16 scrap I had left over from building the table a few months ago.

I forgot to mention the 1-1/4 washer I welded on the bottom of the pipe. (you can kinda see it on one of the pictures) It provides increased thrust surface area between the pipe and the lower bracket. I was going to make one out of bronze, but that would be something that the general shop guy would have a difficult time coming up with unless he had a lathe.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6987
Nice Job! That is way too nice for a home brew parts washer...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
BG,
that is awsome
I like how its mounted under the vise also.

Is it mounted on a slight angle so when you pull the plug all the fluid drains out easier?

How about some more shots of the entire workbench, looks cool.

Since the bench is on wheels you could also wheel the thing outside, clean out solvent, fill with briquettes, throw a larger piece of grating on, and grill up some salmon and moose when company comes over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Land Rover Series IIa 105". 5.3l L59, NV4500 MT8, NP241-C, F&R D110 Salisburies

Last edited by aloharover; 09-16-2004 at 12:03 PM.
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
Very nice ! Im still using the 5 gal bucket method.. Ya more pics of the entire shop !

I can always grab an idea or two from other peoples shops...

-mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 3800 v6 Supercharger, Toy axles etc..

Stroke - Coumadin (warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9801
The tank is actually mounted on a slight angle in the opposite direction, so that when its full of solvent, it will sit level. The bung isnt close enough to get clear to the bottom, so you would have to tip it on a 20* angle to get most of the solvent out. Im keeping my eye out for a small sump pump to install in the tank, so that I can have one of those nice brushes that flow solvent through them.

I dont have any close up pictures, but I tack welded 2" long pieces of 1/4" Dia round bar along the edge of the grate. This holds the grate from sliding around when your washing heavier parts, but still allows you to remove the grate for cleaning the bottom of the tank. It just kinda pops in there. Worked out really good.

I'd also like to add a small shelf on the end closest to the bench vice, for storing all the little misc brushes and stuff that seem to accumulate in a solvent tank.

Stay tuned, its a work in progress.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9801
The top of the table is 1/4 A36 steel plate. Underneath it is a structure fabricated from 2x3x3/16 rec tube. The legs are 3"x 1/8" square tube. The casters are JUNK I bought from home depot, but they were cheap, and after spending ~500 bucks on the steel for the table, they were all I could afford.

The shelf underneath is made from 1x3/16 angle and some expanded metal. Next time I will use 2".
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31347
Not to nitpick as I DO like the idea of a swing out parts washer, and intend to think of adding this down the road, 22x24 dont have too much room to spare.

With the weight of fluid, and say a cylinder head (a happy medium as far as parts go) to wash, isnt there a need for a support at the far end with the drum or somewhat flexing? Removable maybe??

Last edited by Junk Driver; 09-17-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Junk Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2004, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9801
No, no need for a support. Im 250 lbs or more with my boots and coveralls on, and I can sit out on the end, and still swing it around just fine, and not distort the tank.

Now that you mention it though, there is a piece of 1/8" plate welded onto the end of the drum, for the swing out to attach to. This adds a lot of strength to that end, and its welded to the 1"x3/16" angle Iron flat bar, which gives the drum the rest of its strength. Without the angle Iron, you would definately need some sort of support, to keep the thing from twisting/sagging. The sides would buckle in, and the thing would always sit with a big twist in it.

Solvent prolly weighs about 7lbs/gal, x 15 gallons - 105 lbs
Big Block Cylinder Head - ?45 lbs?

No problem
Old 09-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8211
Nice work, thanks for the post! Always a pleasure to see your work Brook. <bow>
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 19566
Nice idea. What kind of solvent are you using and how much does it cost? Ive been thinking about building something similar to this but I haven't looked into where or how much the solvent costs.
Scramblah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 24273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scramblah
Nice idea. What kind of solvent are you using and how much does it cost? Ive been thinking about building something similar to this but I haven't looked into where or how much the solvent costs.

This post had some pretty data... https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hlight=solvent
Old 09-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 12690
BGGreen - Nice parts washer! I need to build/buy one of those soon.

I ran across a couple of pumps that you might be interested in at Northern Tool

Pump #1 $20
Pump # 2 $33

I personally like the second pump better. They also have the parts brushes and hoses available for about $17

-Jeff
YJ_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
GJC

Member # 26181
Sweet, looks great
Old 09-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Nice! But too fancy for me

Gonna use an old kitchen double-sink. One basin for parts washer, the other basin for an oil drain tray. Two buckets, a little plumbing, and a fish tank pump.

Last edited by u2slow; 09-22-2004 at 01:46 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in