Harbor Freight Good tool list - Page 29 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #701 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
You can't find another welding cart as nice for anywhere near the money. I've been tempted to get the BIG cart so I can throw both welders and my little plasma on it. You can get the big one down to about $250 with the 20% vulcan coupon. The little one has been as low as $130 with a coupon.
They are lame with the 20% off coupons now. Seems like anything over $40 is exempt some how.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #702 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
They are lame with the 20% off coupons now. Seems like anything over $40 is exempt some how.
Generally there's an item coupon that is equivalent to the 20% off any way.

What's funny is the small cart is the "chicago" brand but the 20% coupon excludes all "carts".

The big cart is a Vulcan which is also an excluded brand on the 20% coupon but then there's a 20% off any Vulcan item, including welding carts so you can still get 20% off. And the vulcan coupon says right on it "never expires".

It's all about playing the game.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #703 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Oh, I forgot to mention that, in typical harbor freight fashion, the threads for the little bolt that holds the rear wheels on stripped out when before I even got to snug I'm pretty sure I can just tap to 1/4 20 and ittl be fine. But it's funny how the whole cart seems pretty quality and then they fail at something so simple.

Also, I noticed that they now have red and blue brand cut off wheels (can't remember the name, but the same as the nicer power tools) so far they seem to last longer than the green ones. They also have some new flap discs that seem decent also.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #704 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 66780
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
You can't find another welding cart as nice for anywhere near the money. I've been tempted to get the BIG cart so I can throw both welders and my little plasma on it. You can get the big one down to about $250 with the 20% vulcan coupon. The little one has been as low as $130 with a coupon.
I have the big Vulcan welding cart. I love it! The drawers are very stiff to open...but mine is still "new" (I've had it 8-9 months, but have only 'used it' twice...I don't work in the garage in the winter months).
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #705 (permalink)

Member # 15504
Send a message via AIM to the burbanator
Not sure if it's been said yet but the Admiral 12" dual bevel miter saw is pretty legit. Bought one the other day at $199 but they just went on the 3 day sale for $169 so we price adjusted.

Took a minute to set up the fence to the blade and true everything up. Laser is pretty accurate, side light is nice but it makes the laser hard to see. The front bevel lock is nice, included blade is pretty good, made a ton of miter cuts with no tear out. The fence extensions are alittle janky but the work good enough. Should have purchased it awhile ago, would have saved quite a few headaches redoing the stair treads.

Last edited by the burbanator; 03-08-2019 at 11:42 AM.
the burbanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #706 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23795
Send a message via AIM to freerider15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62FMJ View Post
I have the big Vulcan welding cart. I love it! The drawers are very stiff to open...but mine is still "new" (I've had it 8-9 months, but have only 'used it' twice...I don't work in the garage in the winter months).
I've wanted that cart since I saw it originally, but couldn't justify spending the money on it. I had planned on if I did get it, pneumatic casters would be swapped on.

So, now I'm building my own version of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by freerider15; 03-08-2019 at 12:56 PM.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #707 (permalink)

Member # 625826
I just saw HF released their beefier 4" angle grinder, looks almost exactly like my air grinder from Northern Tool.

I bought the NT grinder for about $100 on sale, and it works well when you have the airflow behind it. Just as with any air tool it's an air hog. I want to pick up this HF grinder too, since it will come out to the same price (as the NT grinder) with a coupon. I think I'll pick it up this weekend; If it's anything like the NT grinder and the Chief 4" cut off tool I bought a couple months ago, it should run very smooth, with decent power.
OscarJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #708 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
My 5 horse air compressor pump took a shit 2 days ago. I paid $149.99 for it 4 years ago. I'd say that's pretty good for how much I use it. I sand blast now and then a few hours and use it to run my 1" drive tire gun pretty frequently. I'm 99.9% sure that just a reed broke in one of the heads as it got hot enough to melt the plastic air cleaner housing off the pipe nipple it's glued to that threads into the head. I'll probably dig around and find repair kit for them and fix it for a spare. I didn't have time to wait around to get a kit and just bought a new one for $165. Gonna put a hour meter on this one and see how long it lasts.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #709 (permalink)

Member # 625826
Harbor Freight "Chief" 4" Air grinder vs Northern Tool 4" Air grinder

I just picked up the Harbor Freight Chief 4", and sure enough, it's identical to the Northern Tool Klutch 4" air grinder. Same everything, including spanner wrench. I wanted to get another of the Klutch grinder because every now and then it goes on sale for like $104 or something like that, and then you can usually find another $10-20 online coupon code, but it hasn't gone on sale in months it seems. With the HF 20% coupon this one comes out to $95.99 before sales tax. Weighs the same, feels the same under load, even sounds the same.

Funny how both claim you only need 4 CFM, lmao. As with any air grinder, something like this needs 15+ CFM. 15 CFM if you don't lean into it, but if you really put on the pressure, it will easily consume closer to 25-30 CFM. If you like air tools, I would recommend this one. Nice and compact, and light enough to be able to use 1-handed if you have the grip strength for it.

Last edited by OscarJr; 03-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #710 (permalink)

Member # 86724
what's pirates thoughts on the shop presses these days?

particularly the little 6 ton a frame bugger.

I need to do some suspension bushings.
I'd search, but syrup.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #711 (permalink)

Member # 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post

I'd search, but syrup.
I'd skip it and just go for the 20 ton.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #712 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 230823
I beat the crap out of my 20 ton and it is great.

Added casters for mobility, basket for dies/plates and a air over hydro ram for laziness.
Twankie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #713 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
fuuuck.

I guess it's one more thing I need to find space for.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #714 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
The 20-ton with the air over hydro jack is hard to beat.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #715 (permalink)

Member # 151321
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I beat up homo depot like 6 months ago on their price for their tool cart with 4 drawers plus the top tilt up cover deal for like $160 out the door, told them harbor freight beat them up on the price and to give me the best deal he could do so I didn't make the trip over there to buy theirs. I took the tilt up lid off and make some a tray up on top for my millermatic 180 and my alphatig then made some trays to mount the gas bottles off of one end of the cart. Turned out pretty useful and nice to be able to keep all my consumables, gloves, tungsten grinding disc, etc in the multiple drawers.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:52 AM   #716 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
I'd skip that and go straight to the 50 ton...

https://www.harborfreight.com/50-ton...ess-96188.html

$675 with a 25% off coupon. If your local store has one you won't have to pay the ~ $100 freight charge.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #717 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post

I'd search, but syrup.
20 ton minimum. 50 ton is the most correct answer. I bought the 12 ton 10 yrs ago. It barely gets the job done and a lot of jobs it can't even do. If you ever want to press bearing retainers onto axle shafts, you'll want 50 ton. 20 ton probably can't do it, or just barely can if you hang off the jack handle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #718 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
I just picked up the Harbor Freight Chief 4", and sure enough, it's identical to the Northern Tool Klutch 4" air grinder. Same everything, including spanner wrench. I wanted to get another of the Klutch grinder because every now and then it goes on sale for like $104 or something like that, and then you can usually find another $10-20 online coupon code, but it hasn't gone on sale in months it seems. With the HF 20% coupon this one comes out to $95.99 before sales tax. Weighs the same, feels the same under load, even sounds the same.

Funny how both claim you only need 4 CFM, lmao. As with any air grinder, something like this needs 15+ CFM. 15 CFM if you don't lean into it, but if you really put on the pressure, it will easily consume closer to 25-30 CFM. If you like air tools, I would recommend this one. Nice and compact, and light enough to be able to use 1-handed if you have the grip strength for it.
I'm curious about what the point of one of those is vs. a cordless or corded name brand grinder? Needs a pretty hefty air compressor so you can only use them in a few places, has a hose, and not all that cheap. Plus you'd be using 10x the electricity of an electric grinder.

I'm not trying to tell you what you should be using, just curious what the advantage is?

larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #719 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm curious about what the point of one of those is vs. a cordless or corded name brand grinder? Needs a pretty hefty air compressor so you can only use them in a few places, has a hose, and not all that cheap. Plus you'd be using 10x the electricity of an electric grinder.

I'm not trying to tell you what you should be using, just curious what the advantage is?
Cause in some shops that have 240 or even 3 phase compressors, lines plumbed on all sides, or drop hoses.....air tools are the norm.....die grinders, angle grinder, cutoff wheels, air ratchets, impacts, drills etc....like just about every body shop, and mechanic shop I know..

As for me, no I wouldnt use it, cause I dont have a compressor that will handle that.....so I use electric...
Old 05-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #720 (permalink)

Member # 53528
yea the only reason id ever imagine someone would be into air tools these days is if they already have access to a shop with a huge compressor thats running 24/7 like you see in most commercial places

i personally hate cords of all kinds
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 06:26 AM   #721 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
yea the only reason id ever imagine someone would be into air tools these days is if they already have access to a shop with a huge compressor thats running 24/7 like you see in most commercial places

i personally hate cords of all kinds
Or they want to run the tool hard all the time. Some apprentice who's going to be beveling plates for 8hr gets the air grinder. You can't overheat the air grinder.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #722 (permalink)

Member # 625826
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

You are correct on all points. What I like about air tools is that many of them are smaller compared to their electric counterparts. A 4" air grinder is typically much smaller than a 4" electric grinder. Same goes for a 7" air grinder. Yes you use 10x the electricity, but electricity is cheap and it's a price I'm willing to pay. That being said I still use electric grinders as well.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #723 (permalink)

Member # 867722
Engine cleaning gun

This inexpensive siphon feed sprayer is excellent for spraying rust remover's and paints in hard-to-reach places. You can lay your back and paint the entire bottom of your vehicle in record time. Hook up the air, punched two holes in the top of paint can slide the plastic line in the can. The other little hole is your vent. This little sucker blows paint 3 feet

Last edited by pat master; 06-15-2019 at 04:52 PM.
pat master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #724 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat master View Post
This inexpensive siphon feed sprayer is excellent for spraying rust remover's and paints in hard-to-reach places. You can lay your back and paint the entire bottom of your vehicle in record time. Hook up the air, punched two holes in the top of paint can slide the plastic line in the can. The other little hole is your vent. This little sucker blows paint 3 feet
You talking about this one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...gun-68290.html

If so yeah they are pretty handy. I have one I punched a hole into a lid for a gallon jug of the HF cleaner and then spray it all over greasy shit a bit before I go to power washing. I was also thinking about spraying ospho and paint with it eventually.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #725 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
The black variable speed car buffer is junk FYI

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in