RZR Reincarnation - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Was working on the lightbar today and thought about ya so I venture into here and bam!

I may have to make the long drive for a chance to ride in this thing haha.

I like what you did in the roof. I feel better about it now

I don't build it pretty I build it to function.
frikenwoodro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan31783 View Post
Looks great! I really like the look of the baja bug body on it. Has polaris figured out how to properly phase a driveshaft yet?
Thankfully, mine hasn't had that problem, Cut and fix would be required if it did.
bark beetle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikenwoodro View Post
Was working on the lightbar today and thought about ya so I venture into here and bam!

I may have to make the long drive for a chance to ride in this thing haha.

I like what you did in the roof. I feel better about it now
Me too. My brother hit the OHV area by the airport and said it was fun so now I want to take the RZR down your way when I get it running. Glad you are working on lights. I still haven't decided what I am doing for lights on this thing.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
On to the gas tank. This tank is hands down the most complicated one I have ever built and it took two weekends to get everything correct and one more to weld it all together. Not a small undertaking and I hope it ends up being worth it. Most of the pieces laid out on the table:

I had the tank all cut out and duct taped together and set it down in the car to check it out and on first look, it looked great:

But then I quickly realized there was a problem:

More than a small interference with the trailing arm and brake line when at full bump. I decided the best fix was to cut the corners of the tank off to salvage all the work I did.

It worked! Everything has enough clearance, no interference with the suspension.

With that done, I took it to a professional and had it welded up. I do not have a TIG machine yet and even if I did, I would not pick this tank as my first aluminum project. I was remiss on taking pics for a bit of the build as I am scrambling to get it running for the summer. Anyway, here are some pics of the finished tank. The 12 stud pump hold down works and I used 5/16 Russell EFI adapter fittings to make a new -6 fuel line as the stock will not work with the new pump location. In hindsight, I should have made the sump bigger as the pump filter and gauge float were an extremely tight fit. We would also design the mount a little different because welding it without warping was very challenging.

With the TIG out, I had this "t" welded for the merger of the two belt cooling lines. I made it huge with a Outerwear for lots of clean air. The fittings are a mix of aluminum tubing silicone fittings and cutting up the stock rear molded hose plus a tubing bead roller to ensure it all stays together without popping apart on the trail.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
With these done, I made the tank frame/seat support structure that allows the seats to be adjustable with 4 bolts. The tank is surrounded on all sides with neoprene foam to keep any flex and stress on the tank to a minimum. Capacity was 20 gal before I clipped the corners off, so I am guessing 19 gal now. I also ordered a small section of 1/2" UHMW for rocker panels and mounted them similar to the way the stock panels slope up in the back. I counter sunk the bolts with a 3/4" wood paddle bit (which worked great) and decided I am really starting to like working with UHMW over aluminum.

I also chopped up the stock shifter bracket and welded it into the new seat frame.

With the seats mounting complete, fuel in the tank, and a car that should run, I had to try and take her around the block. Some shots of the car outside in the sun, running for the first time in awhile

After a few times around the block I pulled back in and decided the steering wheel was too high and close for my liking (it was way to far away stock, but I over did it!) Out with the cuttoff saw and welder.

A few shortened shafts, adjustments of the mount and bam, a lower wheel that is at a much more comfortable distance. Lesson to self, don't finalize the steering before the seat mounts! She looks really good and the hood I made is not going on, I am thinking hard about two side triangles and a drop center that goes all the way to the front bumper just above the winch. It will maximize driver visibility for crawling. Not safe to drive for real yet with the spinning driveshaft fully exposed. Shaft tunnel, dash, hood, firewalls (front and rear) away from a truly usable car. Lights will come later.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 123514
"montesa"? Let me know I could venture out that way. Would love to see it done!

I don't build it pretty I build it to function.
frikenwoodro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Soooooooo??? lets see the finished product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
I am soooo close but the last 4 weeks have flown by without being able to work on it between helping my friend roof his house, Mother's day and honey do's. Good thing I have the "wife's" 900 to drive while I finish I settled on lights, so I have those and most of the body is done (in cardboard). All I need to do is make the cardboard transform into aluminum with a magic wand. I wish it was that easy....
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #34 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
After a long break, here is a much needed update. First a couple pictures of the firewall, dash, and driveshaft tunnel. My uncle who worked on airframes forever gave me some tips and helped with the firewall. It was great to work with a pro, even though he hadn't worked on sheetmetal for 20 years! I sure am glad that piece is done.

Another view of the firewall, plus the very basic dash. More switches and a ram mount for phone/tablet will come later.

Not pictured is the rear firewall that keeps the passengers from the engine area. I missed the photo of that.

With the basic sheet metal done for a safe, drivable car I had a change of mind with the rear cage. After looking into enclosed toy haulers and coming up with very few reasonably sized ones that could haul 2 RZRs I looked at shortening the rear so they would fit.

It looked like it would be pretty easy to redo the cage with the bolt on tube couplers and improve several things. First, on the initial 20 min test drive I managed to melt the muffler mount bushing because it was so close to the header. Second, the bolt on setup will let me change the back if I want something different easier than welded on. Third, I can shorten the frame to the back of the tires again for better rock crawling and fit in a enclosed trailer.

The exhaust is similar to stock but still different enough for being something original and the supertrapp sounds great.

While I was at it I welded in a V clamp coupler to the header so exhaust mods are easy. Another benefit is the rear cage is much simpler and lighter. The car has the potential to be close to stock weight. I still need to decide on the tire mount.

With the back done (again) I went to work on the front and ended up making a few changes there too. Starting with the headlight cages, I decided it needed a tube connecting in the middle to look right and mount all four lights from the bottom instead of mixing mounting patterns. I didn't really like the original skid plate I made with the bolts showing on the sides so I made a new one that is wider and covers all the a-arm bolts. Last, I changed the fairlead by mounting it behind the skidplate with the hole flowing smoothly from the fairlead.

Now the car is starting to look very SPECOPS, I think flat tan and a gear cage on the roof would look excellent. Maybe some 5gal water jugs mounted just aft of the cab too. Next project is the hood, side skins, and roof.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
It has been a quick month and the thread is overdue for an update. I got the car running, took it out for a short drive and in about 20 minutes this happened:

So with a melted high temp silicone bushing, I had to redesign the exhaust mounts. Here is the result:

Then we took the car out for a longer run and after 2 hours in the car, 1/2 with my daughter driving I determined it was too loud for my taste. She is 11 and I was trying to give her instructions and we couldn't talk over the exhaust so redesign #3 here we go.

I took off the rear cage, cut everything up, including the radiator mounts, action packer tray and started over on the rear of the car. The heat from the radiator was minimal so I mounted it directly to the B crossbar and redid the radiator hoses that turned out a bit cleaner. It dropped a little weight too.

Then I recycled the stock bed supports and added some braces to create a tray to set the tire horizontally on with my tools in the wheel center. I have the tow strap and jumper cables under the tool bag so all I need to do is make a jack mount on the cage. I also played around with the reservoirs and liked them best on the two diagonals I added to the back of the cage. Everything that can be lowered helps the CG.

The secondary belt cooling plumbing got in the way of the spare so I redid that too:

With all that done, I redid the exhaust for the third time with a 50 series flowmaster I had taken off my Tacoma. It was a perfect fit and is much quieter than the Supertrapp. Being a chamber design, it should never wear out either:

I used the stock heat shield plus the flowmaster one to keep the tire and air intake cool.

Finally, I started redoing the hood and got the first three pieces mounted. The drop center improves visibility and breaks up the big flat area. I will probably add some bead rolled features to the panels this weekend.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
I am really getting excited about the way this car is starting to look. My cousin came over and helped me get all of the side panels and the rest of hood mocked up out of cardboard.

The hood layout really changes the look of the car over the first one I made. The bends on the front section are a little hard to make out in these pictures though.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 264354
What bender did you use for your pipe ive been looking for one that can do a good 90 without kinking the tube ive tried a few and took them back cause after 60 it would flating and kink the tube unless u fill it with sand ? what model make?

Last edited by mnbluepits; 08-16-2015 at 09:31 AM.
mnbluepits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 53528
i think it looks better with the new rear end with the spare tire laying flat
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #39 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbluepits View Post
What bender did you use for your pipe ive been looking for one that can do a good 90 without kinking the tube ive tried a few and took them back cause after 60 it would flating and kink the tube unless u fill it with sand ? what model make?
My bender is a JD Squared Model 3 full manual, and if you use the correct die size and correct tubing wall thickness for the die radius it will never kink the tubing.

JD Squared, Inc. if you need the link. There are several other quality tubing benders on the market as well. I have had mine for 18 years and it still works as good as the day I bought it.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 7882
Such an improvement over stock...thing is an amazing beast!!! Can't wait to see it with the tins on!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My life from my phone's perspective.
spencurai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Looks awesome!! but did I understand this right?

With the TIG out, I had this "t" welded for the merger of the two belt cooling lines. I made it huge with a Outerwear for lots of clean air. The fittings are a mix of aluminum tubing silicone fittings and cutting up the stock rear molded hose plus a tubing bead roller to ensure it all stays together without popping apart on the trail.

Do you mean you connected both belt cooling lines together? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding that. But if that's really what happened, that will have to be changed. One is intake, one is exhaust.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 06:45 AM   #42 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
Looks awesome!! but did I understand this right?

Do you mean you connected both belt cooling lines together? I'm sure I'm misunderstanding that. But if that's really what happened, that will have to be changed. One is intake, one is exhaust.
2014 models had a single belt cooling intake, in 2015 Polaris released a modification for the belt cooling intake with a new cover and a molded rubber hose that added a second cooling intake that went to the same port on the driver's side plastic fender. The belt exhaust is separate and it blows air across the exhaust header toward the passenger side rear shock.

The 2016 belt cooling setup has changed again and I am not sure if it is back to a single inlet or if it still has two.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 219794
Awesome, it has really come together. You going to do the sides out of AL or plastic to save weight?
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 227545
super bad a$$ i love the baja look
tinytrax78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #45 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Awesome, it has really come together. You going to do the sides out of AL or plastic to save weight?
Aluminum but I did think about clear lexan for better visibility.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bark beetle View Post
2014 models had a single belt cooling intake, in 2015 Polaris released a modification for the belt cooling intake with a new cover and a molded rubber hose that added a second cooling intake that went to the same port on the driver's side plastic fender. The belt exhaust is separate and it blows air across the exhaust header toward the passenger side rear shock.

The 2016 belt cooling setup has changed again and I am not sure if it is back to a single inlet or if it still has two.
Thanks!
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
No more boring driveway shots for awhile! The reincarnated RZR took its first trip to Blanca Peak on Labor Day Weekend. Having a professional photographer along really improved the quality of the pictures and waiting for the Jeeps gave us time to play on the rocks! I'll shut up and let the pictures talk.

Last edited by bark beetle; 09-17-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
To celebrate the successful run I had to rip up some dust at the truck...while we waited for the Jeeps again

The Jeeps actually moved along pretty well until one of them had an electrical problem and had to be strapped from Jaws three all the way to the bottom. Manual steering and brakes with 35's all the way back down that mountain! Carnage for the RZRs wasn't bad with 2 bent radius rods and two bent lower a-arms between the two machines. High clearance parts are in the future!
Old 09-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
That's great bud. Looks like it all came together very well. Hopefully you will make your way out to KOH this year. Your more than welcome to camp with us again..

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's great bud. Looks like it all came together very well. Hopefully you will make your way out to KOH this year. Your more than welcome to camp with us again..
I'd love to come out with the RZR and work with your crew. I will let you know as we get closer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in