Honda Talon 1000x4 "build" - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Went for a short little rip. Nowhere near enough snow to test the tracks, but I did pull a full size Chevy up a hill.

Thing definitely loads snow on the back

Support vehicle

Wife got some shots while I was pulling the kid in the sled, it was damn near white out by the time we left.

The one issue I was having was the power steering. I'm not sure if the honda just used a weak system or what. Had it throw the light and shut off a bunch of times. Meanwhile I'm using minimal force with 1 hand 90% of the time. I have a hard time believing its overheating when it's completely packed with snow.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-14-2020 at 05:13 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 25632
https://youtu.be/EPGeaZvFMR0
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2020, 11:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 178200
That looks like LOTS of fun!

Try putting dielectric grease in the P/S connectors before you go out next time and see of that solves anything. Or maybe those tracks create a ton of turning resistance and heat up the electric power steering motor. I could sort of see how they would..... Or your pulling to many amps from the electrical system with the wiper, lights, heater ect all going at the same time and it turns off the P/S when the amps get to low.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 12:31 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
That looks like LOTS of fun!

Try putting dielectric grease in the P/S connectors before you go out next time and see of that solves anything. Or maybe those tracks create a ton of turning resistance and heat up the electric power steering motor. I could sort of see how they would..... Or your pulling to many amps from the electrical system with the wiper, lights, heater ect all going at the same time and it turns off the P/S when the amps get to low.
It was fun, should have just ran tires, but oh well. Supposed to get snow all week so I'll be able to actually pit the tracks to the test at some point.

They definitely do not want to turn as easy as regular tires. I don't try to turn when I'm not moving and am generally easy on it. I didn't have this problem the first time out, which was a waaay longer trip and 10 times more "extreme" than today. It happened at least half a dozen times today. Like I said, I can't it getting hot, it's literally completely covered in snow. It also would do it kinda randomly, sometimes very quickly after it had been parked for a while.

However, I did not have any electric accessories the first trip. The only additional things would be wiper and heater, but I also added an additional battery that the accessories are tired to. I have a volt meter and it's never below 13.5v that I've seen, usually over 14v. It's going to piss me off if that's the case. I'll have to ask, but I don't think any of my buddies rzr's have had this issue.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 107967
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post

The one issue I was having was the power steering. I'm not sure if the honda just used a weak system or what. Had it throw the light and shut off a bunch of times. Meanwhile I'm using minimal force with 1 hand 90% of the time. I have a hard time believing its overheating when it's completely packed with snow.
Usually they end up tripping the failsafe for the power steering during a high torque load situation, it tends to happen during very low speed maneuvers or getting jammed up it a rut. The tracks tend to cause it more frequently when the angle of attack is set up for more high speed stability. What do you have the tracks set at? Don't use the built in level, set the top of the rear wheel to 12.5" and you should be fine.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukemaggots View Post
Usually they end up tripping the failsafe for the power steering during a high torque load situation, it tends to happen during very low speed maneuvers or getting jammed up it a rut. The tracks tend to cause it more frequently when the angle of attack is set up for more high speed stability. What do you have the tracks set at? Don't use the built in level, set the top of the rear wheel to 12.5" and you should be fine.
I'm thinking maybe the snow conditions had a lot to do with it. It was ~2' of rock hard snow with 6-8" of powder on top, basically hiding all the ruts and whatnot. I didn't have any issue the first time out with the tracks.

Are you saying to to roll the track forward so it's running on the crown? That would definitely make the steering easier, not sure if it would hurt flotation or climbing out of creek crossings.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 107967
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I'm thinking maybe the snow conditions had a lot to do with it. It was ~2' of rock hard snow with 6-8" of powder on top, basically hiding all the ruts and whatnot. I didn't have any issue the first time out with the tracks.

Are you saying to to roll the track forward so it's running on the crown? That would definitely make the steering easier, not sure if it would hurt flotation or climbing out of creek crossings.
Yep, the further you roll the track forward the easier the steering.

As you can see I have mine adjusted pretty far forward because my use consists of a lot of tight turns at slow speeds. It doesn't bother floatation too much, just have to be careful crossing a ditch

Old 03-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukemaggots View Post
Yep, the further you roll the track forward the easier the steering.

As you can see I have mine adjusted pretty far forward because my use consists of a lot of tight turns at slow speeds. It doesn't bother floatation too much, just have to be careful crossing a ditch

]
Makes sense, I'm going up tonight or tomorrow. There is lots of deep powder and big creek crossings, so I'll leave it as is for now and see how it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in