Honda Talon 1000R........ Talk me out of buying one - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Side by Sides
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Honda Talon 1000R........ Talk me out of buying one

I think I want one. The JKUR I built for my wife is fun to wheel, but if I drive it like I want to, I'll probably break it in half. It's a great family camping/exploration rig, but it's no U4. I have zero time to build a buggy and hate buying used stuff that needs a pile of work before its reliable. So I'm at a crossroads.......

Local dealer has a few 2019 2 seater leftovers they are willing to part with at what I consider a reasonable price. I have a low milage/hours 2016 KTM 350 EXC-F with both a dirt and supermoto wheel setup I'm thinking about trading in. I have used the bike 1 time in the last year, so I'm thinking it time for it to go.

Plan would to be leave the Talon mostly stock, add 30-31" tires, beadlock wheels and possibly build a real cage for it. Would be used at the local offroad parks like Hot Springs, Barnwell Mtn, Disney ect. May also attempt to enter it in local SxS races once I own it for a while. The racing itch came back a few years ago and I have been ignoring it hoping that it would go away. Most of you know how that goes.... A stock class SxS seems like a reasonable way to get back into racing.

Am I crazy?

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 01-18-2020 at 05:12 PM.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Just bought a 4 seater for most of the same reasons.

I say do it, but mines in the shop with a list of problems at ~150 miles, so I'm not sure how I feel about the purchase yet.

If I could have got a 2 seater, I would have taken a much harder look at the textron xx. Especially if you are thinking about racing.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Your sort of the reason for this thread. Looked like you were having to much fun......

What problems is yours in the shop for?

That Textron XX is fugly. No matter how bad ass it might be, I would not be caught dead in it.

The only reason I'm even considering a SxS is the price of this particular one and the fact that it's a Honda. If I were to go all in on a SxS purchase it would be a Can-Am X3. I'm not looking to spend $28k but at $17k I'm very intrested in one.

I was also thinking 30-31" tires. Not sure where I came up with 33's.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Your sort of the reason for this thread. Looked like you were having to much fun......

What problems is yours in the shop for?

That Textron XX is fugly. No matter how bad ass it might be, I would not be caught dead in it.

The only reason I'm even considering a SxS is the price of this particular one and the fact that it's a Honda. If I were to go all in on a SxS purchase it would be a Can-Am X3. I'm not looking to spend $28k but at $17k I'm very intrested in one.

I was also thinking 30-31" tires. Not sure where I came up with 33's.
You're welcome

The biggest issue is that it had issues grinding in low, which I believe may have damaged something, because now it will engage fine, but has popped out a few times. (it's a problem with the shift gate design imo)

The "I4wd" isn't working correctly (sounds like it may just be a loose connection or bad switch/sensor)

Rear diff has a leak (pretty lame, but shit happens)

Textron isn't my favorite looking, but they had them at the dealer I got my Talon and they do look better in person. I think some fender trimming and a bumper would make a huge difference.

130 hp na Yamaha 3 cyl, basically scaled down class 1 buggy suspension, race legal cage stock, ect.

I thought I liked the x3s also, but the more I looked into them, I'm not so sure. The biggest thing is they are massive, the 2 seater is only 10" shorter wb than my 4 seat talon. The 4 seater is just dumb at 135"
Old 01-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
I have said it a few times, switching from a decent built Jeep (CJ5 locked on 38s), to a sxs (800 Rzrs) was one of the best decisions we made. It was easier to transport, easier to drive (wife Loved driving the rzr), less breakage and overall just more fun. It would do about 70-80% of what the Jeep could do, but it would do it better and faster.

I never got a chance to take it to barnwell, but I think it would give that place hell. I know it would struggle a bit there too. My buddy has taken his wildcat to Disney a few times and loves it. Its just so much easier to deal with than a full size rig. If ours wasnt stolen, I would still be trashing on it or even upgraded by now.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
The down side is, anyone not in a side by side will hate you, even your friends and everyone here.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
The down side is, anyone not in a side by side will hate you, even your friends and everyone here.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Just found this place in Midlothian, Tx. https://www.texplexpark.com It's about 1.5hrs from the house. Anybody rode/raced there yet? Place looks pretty wild!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
You think Im joking. You just wait and see.

Quote:
Just found this place in Midlothian, Tx. https://www.texplexpark.com It's about 1.5hrs from the house. Anybody rode/raced there yet? Place looks pretty wild!
That place looks cool.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:

Its a toss up between Toyota guys and SxS!!!!!

Or toss off!!!!

Went to the snow jam yesterday...... which is basically just a traffic jam on logging roads!!!! Toyotas and SxSs riding in the fucking ditches to pass!!!!
I wouldnt expect less!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj50 View Post
Its a toss up between Toyota guys and SxS!!!!!

Or toss off!!!!

Went to the snow jam yesterday...... which is basically just a traffic jam on logging roads!!!! Toyotas and SxSs riding in the fucking ditches to pass!!!!
I wouldnt expect less!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh

Sounds like the jeeps were doing what they do best, being trail tampons.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 189302
Quote:
Truth.

The dirt bike guys give you shit.

Jeepers are just as queer as ever.

Toyota guys scoff at it not being a Toyota.

Pirate members are just jealous, because you can do almost as much as their custom built piles sitting on 40's from the factory.

The only people that have no beef are ATV guys.

There are days down in WV where we put in 100-125 miles a day. Doing that on ATV left us feeling as if we'd been run over by a bus. The SXS is like riding in a car all day on pavement. Unless you're running an Ultra4 car, not much can compare to a SXS. Running down a trail at 40mph or navigating tight trails at decent rate of speed would leave most built trail rigs in the dust. But, each have their uniqueness.
FleshEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 04:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 189302
Quote:
I think I want one. The JKUR I built for my wife is fun to wheel, but if I drive it like I want to, I'll probably break it in half. It's a great family camping/exploration rig, but it's no U4. I have zero time to build a buggy and hate buying used stuff that needs a pile of work before its reliable. So I'm at a crossroads.......

Local dealer has a few 2019 2 seater leftovers they are willing to part with at what I consider a reasonable price. I have a low milage/hours 2016 KTM 350 EXC-F with both a dirt and supermoto wheel setup I'm thinking about trading in. I have used the bike 1 time in the last year, so I'm thinking it time for it to go.

Plan would to be leave the Talon mostly stock, add 30-31" tires, beadlock wheels and possibly build a real cage for it. Would be used at the local offroad parks like Hot Springs, Barnwell Mtn, Disney ect. May also attempt to enter it in local SxS races once I own it for a while. The racing itch came back a few years ago and I have been ignoring it hoping that it would go away. Most of you know how that goes.... A stock class SxS seems like a reasonable way to get back into racing.

Am I crazy?
Is a YXZ out of the question?

Find a volume dealer. We have a Yamaha volume dealer who sells at stupid low prices. There's a Honda dealer in State College, too. They typically sell $4,000-$5,000 less than anyone else.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
There are days down in WV where we put in 100-125 miles a day. Doing that on ATV left us feeling as if we'd been run over by a bus. The SXS is like riding in a car all day on pavement. Unless you're running an Ultra4 car, not much can compare to a SXS. Running down a trail at 40mph or navigating tight trails at decent rate of speed would leave most built trail rigs in the dust. But, each have their uniqueness.
Exactly why I want one. I dont see a U4 in my future, and I'm starting to drive my wifes JKUR like one. It's not going to last very long if I keep doing that.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Is a YXZ out of the question?

Find a volume dealer. We have a Yamaha volume dealer who sells at stupid low prices. There's a Honda dealer in State College, too. They typically sell $4,000-$5,000 less than anyone else.

None of them are really out of the question, although I have no use for a CVT transmission and want low range. I chose the Honda for a few different reasons, price and Honda quality being the biggest factors. I can get a leftover 19 at the local dealer for $16,900 plus tax. Everything else in that category, that is localish $20,000 and up. I'm going to put wheels/tires and a winch on whatever I buy, so I may as well start with the more affordable option and go from there.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
None of them are really out of the question, although I have no use for a CVT transmission and want low range. I chose the Honda for a few different reasons, price and Honda quality being the biggest factors. I can get a leftover 19 at the local dealer for $16,900 plus tax. Everything else in that category, that is localish $20,000 and up. I'm going to put wheels/tires and a winch on whatever I buy, so I may as well start with the more affordable option and go from there.
Same reasons I ended up at the honda. I like that Yamaha broke the mold of the cvt in a sxs. I don't get why they didn't put a low range. One of the biggest sellers of a sxs is versatility. It's machine that gets used in every terrain. When's the last time you say a dirt bike or sport quad at one of those big dumb mud events? Or a 4x4 quad in the dunes?

Also, I love the paddle shifters, but it is very nice to just throw it in auto and cruise. Having to shift the Yamaha could get old at times.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
I already hate the OP for thinking about it.

Doesnt matter if I was at a local park or KOH. Some dipshit with a credit card would get twisted up, burn a belt, etc and then it was a benny hill production for the next hour.

If you lived in an area where its street legal, then I could see the advantage.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 178200
I stopped at a Honda dealer in Dallas today to look at one in person and sit in it. They had 2 leftover 2019's on the floor. Both internet priced at 18,699. Both had extras on them & sales guy said that added to the price listed........ huh? Doesnt say or show that shit in the ad. Another local dealer (that's not open today) has 2 of them advertised for 16,999.

First one had an aluminum HRC front bumper & HRC full metal doors. Second one had a HRC metal front bumper, HRC winch and some gay ass lightbar on the roof. I told the sales guy I'd pay the 18,699 if they throw the winch on the one with the full doors & aluminum bumper. I'm going to send them pics of my bike when I get home and see what #'s they come up with.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I already hate the OP for thinking about it.

Well, as the old saying goes: I'm not happy until your not happy, so..........

Old 01-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 189302
Quote:
I stopped at a Honda dealer in Dallas today to look at one in person and sit in it. They had 2 leftover 2019's on the floor. Both internet priced at 18,699. Both had extras on them & sales guy said that added to the price listed........ huh? Doesnt say or show that shit in the ad. Another local dealer (that's not open today) has 2 of them advertised for 16,999.

First one had an aluminum HRC front bumper & HRC full metal doors. Second one had a HRC metal front bumper, HRC winch and some gay ass lightbar on the roof. I told the sales guy I'd pay the 18,699 if they throw the winch on the one with the full doors & aluminum bumper. I'm going to send them pics of my bike when I get home and see what #'s they come up with.
Lightbars are really nice. These sit fairly low and the lights get covered in mud, dust, and are pretty much useless night riding if you ride in a group.

They've designed lower gearing for the YXZ, hence why I mentioned it. But, we can get those here for about $15,500+tax. My Yamaha Wolverine replaced a Honda Rancher that I trail rode. Never expected to get into hard trail riding, and I liked the driveshaft and shifting, but putting the machine in low or high and going is nice for when you just want to ride carefree. Plus, the Wolverine was only $13,300+tax, so that was a no brainer...and it has a locked rear axle AND diff lock.

Shifting a YXZ does look like fun, though. Seen a few run KOH, too. Those Honda Talons look good, but I'm not sold on Honda SXS's yet. Feel like they have some stuff to work out.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Same reasons I ended up at the honda. I like that Yamaha broke the mold of the cvt in a sxs. I don't get why they didn't put a low range. One of the biggest sellers of a sxs is versatility. It's machine that gets used in every terrain. When's the last time you say a dirt bike or sport quad at one of those big dumb mud events? Or a 4x4 quad in the dunes?

Also, I love the paddle shifters, but it is very nice to just throw it in auto and cruise. Having to shift the Yamaha could get old at times.

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 01-20-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:

well... once upon a time...
i saw a polaris 1000 4x4 quad (with paddles on all four corners) in Florance Or. and it was effing impressive on comp hill.

but yeah, im a new fan of sxs's. and only get shit because i've talked so much shit about them over the years. so well deserved. i've always been a honda or harley guy, then i went to quads a jeeps after folding my leg the wrong direction and tearing the artery in the process.

i never payed much attention the sxs scene until family took over offroad time. then a deal on a rzr xp1000 came up and i bit. wasn't till after the purchase i heard the polaris hate. i've got none of that i've got 500 of foot the floor miles keeping up with my buddies x3 xrs turbo rrrrr blah blah. rolled it, put it into trees, broke an axle (whiskey throtle, after full send. warrenty covered it). and on and on. but really zero issues or damage after all the shit i've put it through.

looking at buying a turbo model now, keeping the current one for the wifes rig. i haven't been able to get the wife interested in off road since kids, she wont touch a jeep a quad a bike... nothing. she loves the rzr. maybe that makes them gay, but i couldn't be happier. fuck it, i'm having more fun than i ever had in any of the other toys, and with my whole family.

buy one, any of them. you wont regret a damn thing!

edit; i think the credit card/ finance fun thing is what really brings the hate to the sxs world. only payment i have is a mortgage. and you can usually tell whos a owner and whos a renter. renter ignorance will always be looked down on. but i think the reality is that the sxs market while being a black eye to off road world in one way, is doing more good than harm. so get one

Last edited by tracyb; 01-20-2020 at 08:11 PM.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

Shifting a YXZ does look like fun, though. Seen a few run KOH, too. Those Honda Talons look good, but I'm not sold on Honda SXS's yet. Feel like they have some stuff to work out.
The pioneers have been pretty solid from what I've read. We started by looking at them since they were an actual 5 seater. Once I saw that companies make bench seats for sport sxs's and saw the back seats in the pioneer, I was all about the talon.

However, you may be right, since mines in the shop

If the yxz had a low range and an auto mode, I'd bet they'd sell a shit ton more.

I always thought they looked fun, but was hesitant that you can't (legally) drive them on the road. What got me into one was honestly the fire that burned mine and a lot of my buddies crawlers. I looked at all kinds of rigs to buy from beat down buggies to trail rigs and even some fancy jk's. I just don't like buying someone else's project. So I started collecting parts to build another crawler. But I couldn't decide on what to build, and in the end I was fooling myself thinking I could find time to build a whole rig in any reasonable amount of time. We still have a 96 4runner on 33s that gets us to the mountains, and would run into friends who replaced their crawlers with sxs's. After talking to a buddy about how much fun they are in the snow when you add tracks, then put 32s on in the summer and blast around in comfort. Clip a rock, bust a wheel and blow a tire? Instead of a $400 wheel and $600 tire, it's a $125 wheel and $150 tire.

After a few trips, I'm sold. I always liked blasting around anyway. I have more fun flying through a foot of snow than trying to crawl on top of 10. Don't need a huge trailer or tow rig.

I'm fully planning on doing every terrain but deep mud.

My dream is to someday do UA, so eventually, I'll build something, but for now, I just want to go spend my 1 or 2 days off in the woods and not feel like I have to be in the garage.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Clip a rock, bust a wheel and blow a tire? Instead of a $400 wheel and $600 tire, it's a $125 wheel and $150 tire.
what if you clip a rock and blow a track?
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
what if you clip a rock and blow a track?
Dont put the tracks on until there are no rocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in