Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   Snow Wheelin' (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Arctic Trucks AT 405 winter tire? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1890554)

Dialed-In 10-29-2014 11:33 PM

Arctic Trucks AT 405 winter tire?

Hey all, with winter wheeling upon us has anyone had any experience with Arctic trucks AT 405 tires. They only come in 38"x15.50"x15" Radial and are designed to be used at extremely low air pressures (low single digits) for flotation and for Hwy. travel at higher pressures.

Does anybody know where they might be sold besides Iceland or Norway? Has anyone seen them perform in person?

There might be an E-bay store that sells them, but I was hoping for a specialty performance store actually carrying them in stock.

Thanks D...

86chevyjoe 10-30-2014 12:09 AM

i would love to try a set but i bet theyre $$$$$$
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...psd913bf9f.jpg

nitto makes a 38x15.5R15 mud grappler thats C load rated with 3ply sidewalls though :smokin:

Dialed-In 10-30-2014 01:43 AM

Yeah I've thought about the Nitto's, but figured there would be more of a buzz about them if they were awesome in the snow. I still may go that way because I'm having a tough time finding any large 37"+ radials in wider widths (14.5"+) for a 15" wheel and then just groove and sipe them whole lot.
My best understanding about the AT 405's is about $800 to $1,000 a tire US Funds plus shipping from either Iceland or Norway which I've been to scared to inquire about the cost.

They would make for an excellent daily driven snow wheeling Jeep tire though, it's really to bad Arctic Trucks or someone doesn't recognize the market here in North America for them, because selling them on a much grander scale would really bring down the price.

I need to get some new tires soon and preferably for my Hutchinson 15" dual bead lock wheels, I'm down to these choices in no particular order.

Nitto Mud Grappler 38"x15.50"x15 Radial

Pitbull Rocker 37"x12.50"x15 Radial

TSL Irok 39"x13.50"x15 Bias or Radial

All are approximately $350 to $450 a tire US Funds (little or no shipping to lower 48), so a big price jump to the AT 405's...

I also have some 16" alloys and have thought about getting 365/75/16 (38"x14.50"x16) BFG KM 2's for about $375 a tire. I'm very familiar with the KM 2's in the snow and they work really well in the local powder were I live (with lots of siping), but the 16" alloys don't have any bead-locks which is a concern.

Decisions, decisions... At this point I'm really leaning towards the PBRR's (I almost bought them last spring, but life got in the way) as they have a good reputation for snow wheeling up here in the Northwest as well as decent street manners/wear.

I know most serious snow wheelers would recommend the Iroks, but I daily drive this Jeep LJ and often go on long (even 2,000+ mile) road trips so they have to be nice and smooth at 75+MPH.

Wilson 10-30-2014 10:18 AM

Out of that list, irok radials would be the best in the snow hands down, but wear the quickest. Nitto and toyo are sister cousin's and I've never been impressed by either in the snow, but you should get 50k out of a set. Seems like the pbr's are the middle ground tire then.

killaQ 10-30-2014 11:36 AM

Has anyone tried the 41.5 13.50 pbr radials? I always thought that would be a great tire for snow wheeling.

Wilson 10-30-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killaQ (Post 28494266)
Has anyone tried the 41.5 13.50 pbr radials? I always thought that would be a great tire for snow wheeling.

I've seen a few and if I could fit them and had the axles for them, I would run them. The only pit bull that I have not seen do well here is the 39. At 36" tall and nearly half as wide, they just fold all over themselves when aired down really low.

YotaAtieToo 10-30-2014 11:54 AM

I really can't imagine those tires being good on a dd. At $1k per tire, any wear at all would be too much for me, :flipoff2:

I don't have any experience with them, but what about the interco truxus sts? Big balloon with a/t tread.

Wilson 10-30-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 28494642)
I really can't imagine those tires being good on a dd. At $1k per tire, any wear at all would be too much for me, :flipoff2:

I don't have any experience with them, but what about the interco truxus sts? Big balloon with a/t tread.

They are decent in the snow. I've seen the 38's and 44's in action. I'm sure the arctic tires work well enough, but the cost is too much for most of us in the states. That prices gets you into some 49" iroks, ttc claws, 47" growlers, etc.

Dialed-In 10-30-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 28494642)

The AT 405's were made specifically for the Iceland/Arctic market where they run in snow conditions exclusively and then most will switch to a smaller tire for the summer months when flotation isn't needed. In these conditions those tires would last a long time because there isn't much wear (little heat generated) while in sub zero conditions. Making them a good buy when you consider how well they work for only being a 38" tire with very little competition.
I've seen videos of the AT 405's being used in the desert as they are supposed to be a four season tire, however I would be seriously concerned with wear especially with the cost.

I would be great if Goodyear would make a bunch of Duratracs in sizes 36"+ and with a 3ply sidewall. I'd think they would sell like to cakes up in the northern USA and Canada.

Up here in Canada we have many lifted F/S diesel 4x4 trucks running around on their 38"+ Toyo's/TSL's etc. that in the winter time switch to a 31" severe winter snow/ice tires (It's mandatory in the winter on our Hwy.'s to have the Mtn./snow flake symbol on your tires) because nobody makes anything larger (those big trucks sure look funny rolling around on those little tires).

The TSL STS tires, do they wear well and drive well other then snow/sand conditions? I've thought about those too, but fear they may be too single purpose not suited to a DD Jeep.

Not only has the tire industry stepped away from 15" wheel sized tires in the 35"+ sizes, but in general they've stopped making wider sized tires as well. I recognize that most rock crawlers use a width of 12.50" and that's most of the off-road market, buy in the good old days pre-2007 most any size width was being made...

himarker 10-31-2014 11:18 AM

41.5 pbr

Quote:

Originally Posted by killaQ (Post 28494266)

I just bought a set of these. They will see some serious deep snow this winter...

Claybuilt 10-31-2014 04:26 PM

himarker get some pitures for us this winter! I have been wanting to see them in the snow too! I had a friend that ran them on a big super duty and iroks don't last long one the street.

Oxen 11-04-2014 10:19 PM

price :barf: shipping :barf: tire quality :smokin:

think i could bring a set back as my luggage on my next trip?

Dialed-In 11-05-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxen (Post 28584850)
price :barf: shipping :barf: tire quality :smokin:

think i could bring a set back as my luggage on my next trip?

Do me a favour and grab a second set for me, Pretty Please... (COD)

sneakyninja 11-05-2014 04:47 PM

Toyo makes a 37x15.5R15 and a very thick 6 Ply sidewall, you might need to spend some time with a grooving iron though.

YotaAtieToo 11-05-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneakyninja (Post 28597954)
Toyo makes a 37x15.5R15 and a very thick 6 Ply sidewall, you might need to spend some time with a grooving iron though.

Toyos suck ass in the snow. I would be looking at the 36X14.5 tsl radial (if they still make it) and the 38x15.5? Mt mtz.

86chevyjoe 11-05-2014 07:23 PM

Grooved 38x15.5R15 nitto mud grapplers on 15x12 bead locks. Perfect for light weight rig

YotaAtieToo 11-05-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 28600602)
Grooved 38x15.5R15 nitto mud grapplers on 15x12 bead locks. Perfect for light weight rig

Have you ran or seen anyone run those? They seem like they would dig really fast if you spun at all.

Dialed-In 11-07-2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneakyninja (Post 28597954)

One of my wheeling buddies runs those exact size of Toyo's (they are actually 37"x14.50"x15" and weigh about 94lbs. which is heavy for the size) on a Jeep XJ with a 6" lift and a little trimming.:D
Now they do seem to be wearing well (they are a popular tire for the local 3/4T. and 1T. 4x4 trucks, 'in a different wheel size of course', because they last), but they do not flex easily even at very low pressures (under 5Psi.).
I suppose if they were siped and grooved significantly it would help in the snow, but since their rubber compound seems to be on the harder side they will never work as well as a Bias Irok for example and seem just okay for snow use.

Cheers D

Dialed-In 11-07-2014 01:31 AM

My local sources tell me that the BFG KM2 in the 365/75/16 (38"14.50"x16") size are discontinued, as in never again. Damn that sucks because they were half the price of the BFG KM2 38"x14.50"x17" & 18" wheel size as well.
I don't particularly like running 17" and 18" wheels which made these a good option for that tread in a 16" wheel.

So I'm back to 38"x15.50"x15" Nitto Mud Grapplers as a choice, but w/o more feedback from those that have actually wheeled them in the snow it's a hard call to make. I would of course sipe and groove them lots, but at $2,000 (CDN Funds) for a set (of #4) it's gonna sting if they don't perform admirably in the snow.

Now if any more of you (thanks for your input 86ChevyJoe) have ran or even seen these Nitto's run well (or not so well) in the snow please chime in asap, cause the snow's already falling in the Mtn.'s where I live and wheel.

Like YotaAtieToo asked, are you speaking from first hand experience with the Nitto Mud Grapplers 86ChevyJoe? Enquiring minds want to know...

Cheers D

wes761 11-07-2014 08:59 PM

Here's a post with pics of how i cut/siped my mud graplers https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/snow-...itto-snow.html

A quick update concerning those tires...... They started to crack/dry rot between lugs (only 3 years old) and enough for me to replace them (with Iroks). They also wrecked the beads on the aluminum wheels they were mounted on. They have a fat bead "rim protector" as nitto calls it, but it seems to trap dirt and sands away the wheel bead.

Besides that I can't complain..... but haven't yet snow wheeled the Iroks.

86chevyjoe 11-08-2014 10:18 PM

No first hand experience w/ the 38" nittos. I run little 35" big horns haha.

I know one guy from Idaho that runs the 40" mud grapplers (load range D) on a cj7 and he does very well. They are grooved considerably but he uses them for snow only and runs them at very low pressures.

Next snow season I will have a set of the 38" nittos on 15x12 allied beadlocks. I am planning to only groove them, no siping. My CJ is 3000lbs ready to rock. Should float awesome with the big balloons.

Any tire will dig if it's not broken in and/or has too much air in it. I constantly run my tires 0-2lbs when snow wheeling. I found my jeep goes best when there's just enough air in the tires to keep the inner bead from falling off

86chevyjoe 11-08-2014 10:25 PM

Also, I messaged arctic trucks on Facebook to see if these tires can be purchased and they replied, "Yes it is possible to sell the tires to the US, we would have to find out of shipping and other things. Can you please send an email to [email protected] with this request?"

if anybody is interested there you go!

DiscoDino 12-02-2014 07:03 PM

A friend runs these in the mountains of Lebanon (currently snowy, and lasts for a good winter season)...they did very well in the snow...as they were designed to...

I stuck to the 36 Bias Iroks for a more all round performer on my DD...but I have seen the 35 Interco Trexus MT do well, and I know they have a 38.5" version...that would be my choice if I were States-side and can fit 38.5s...

Anything larger and I think the 42" Iroks served me well from 2006 to 2012 on my trail rig...hoping the 54" TTCs will do even better this season when the truck is done...

The issue with snow is the quality varies across the season, and even within a day...so chasing the "perfect tire for all snow" is gonna be hard...and I prefer to opt for the best all round at the size I can fit...

mtsnowrunner 12-02-2014 07:58 PM

Very well said, couldn't agree more.

weswes01 02-26-2019 07:45 PM

There is a huge hole in the off-road tire market and this tire nails it!

I have spoke with arctic trucks and they want $709 a tire plus shipping from Iceland! That’s just ridiculous.

I did some reasearch. They are manufactured in China by one of the top five companies. From what I can find on alibaba.com they are sold under lakesea, waystone, Nokian, and Dino for about $200

If ANYONE with a tire connection can look into this further and locate a source in the US or even Canada. I’ll buy you a case of beer.