Best 38-40" tire for snow - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
Went out last weekend with a TJ with 40" Trail Grapplers on 17" beadlocks. They sucked. Guy got stuck about 20 times.
Did he actually air down?

I can't remember how many times I've seen people struggle with anything from 30s to 44s only to find out they're at like 10 psi
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #227 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Started out around 6 at the paved road and went down to around 4 half way up the mountain.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Started out around 6 at the paved road and went down to around 4 half way up the mountain.
Good to know, I have been weary of the nittos, they seem like a heavy, stiff tire.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Well, California (the Sierras) got our first real storm this year, so I got 2 good days of wheel'n this weekend. I put on my snow tires, Interco TSL 39.5x15x15 bias tires. They sucked so bad I just wanted to take them off and sell them. So I just pulled the valve stem and dumped all the air. Since the tires are new I thought I would jut try to break them down. I probably got 20 miles of snow wheelin' on them, aired up to 6lbs and drove home (5 miles).

This year's TSL's.

Name:  MET Snow.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  74.5 KB

Sunday I went back to the staging area and dumped to 1-1/2 lbs and flogged them again, lost the bead 2 times. I went back on to some flat packed area, and looking at them thought I would air back up to 2 lbs, they had a nice bulge and looked long and flat on the bottom now. I hit some more trails. Now I was pushing snow and was able to back out when I got stuck. I think with some grooving the center lugs, they may be as good as my Iroc 39.5x13.5x15 Radials.

Last year's Iroc's

Name:  IMG_1675.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  80.8 KB
Old 03-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I have seen the tsls work OK, but you pretty much need double beadlocks, a lot of grooving and years of break in

I think they would have a hard time keeping up with irok radials
Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 220897
I agree the TSL on my light rig would probably never really break in or work as good as the IROC radials. I'm think'n I should sell them and stick with radials, I just looked at them and they still have the rubber tits on them. I'm guessing my rig is 3700/3900lbs? The TSL would be better suited for a 4000lb+ rig.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #232 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
So buddy and I have similar rigs in weight v8ís doubler same axle gears. I was pushing snow and breaking trail and I could make it 100 yards or so then have to back up and blast through the wall I built up. Eventually I got hot we switched places. I was running mtrís at 2-3lbs. He was running bias iroks at 4-5lbs. As soon as he got over the wall I pushed he could float on top and just cruise.

I think the best all around snow tire up too a 42Ē tire is a radial irok with bias irok being a close 2nd.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
I agree the TSL on my light rig would probably never really break in or work as good as the IROC radials. I'm think'n I should sell them and stick with radials, I just looked at them and they still have the rubber tits on them. I'm guessing my rig is 3700/3900lbs? The TSL would be better suited for a 4000lb+ rig.
I'll trade you for some super grooved 40" Boggers, they're even on 5x5.5 wheels (I'm totally assuming that you are that pattern just because it's a jeep)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Yotatietoo: Haha, thanks for the offer, but no. I'm really going to do some research first. Hell, as far as I know winter may be over here, the next storm is 7000 elev. and up. It takes me about 6 hrs to swap all 8 tires and I'm not looking forward to that. As for the 5/5 wheels, I have 6 lug 10x15 beadlocks now.

RangerRod: 42" Irocs would be great but just would not fit and I'm only running 44's, f/r all cromo. I have to tighten down the coil overs to raise it approx. 5" to get the 39.5 to clear, then lower it down for 37" Irocs for the rocks. I should have went with airbags
Old 03-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Any new info?

Curious about some of the 40" radials

Nittos Trail grapplers (these have been out for a while, but I have yet to see them perform in the snow)

Procomp mt2 (saw a guy with them yesterday, he said they were at 4 and looked like they were bagging pretty good, they also looked like they were getting good traction with the sipes in the tread)

Cooper st or whatever?

Maxxis razr?
had a jimmy's buggy w/ 40" nitto's with us this weekend - they sucked for the first half of the day and finally he dropped them low enough where they did not register on the gauge (0-1psi) and they kicked ass! he was up front most of the day until he blew his trans.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 40" radials these days
Old 03-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #236 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
didn't go low enough. they don't even squat until like 2 psi when theyre on a wrangler
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
Well, California (the Sierras) got our first real storm this year, so I got 2 good days of wheel'n this weekend. I put on my snow tires, Interco TSL 39.5x15x15 bias tires. They sucked so bad I just wanted to take them off and sell them. So I just pulled the valve stem and dumped all the air. Since the tires are new I thought I would jut try to break them down. I probably got 20 miles of snow wheelin' on them, aired up to 6lbs and drove home (5 miles).

This year's TSL's.

Attachment 2826354

Sunday I went back to the staging area and dumped to 1-1/2 lbs and flogged them again, lost the bead 2 times. I went back on to some flat packed area, and looking at them thought I would air back up to 2 lbs, they had a nice bulge and looked long and flat on the bottom now. I hit some more trails. Now I was pushing snow and was able to back out when I got stuck. I think with some grooving the center lugs, they may be as good as my Iroc 39.5x13.5x15 Radials.

Last year's Iroc's

Attachment 2826346
Don't give up on the TSL's! I think I gave up too fast on my bias pitbull rockers. the more they break in, the better they get. My buddy bought 44" pitbull rockers and they SUCKED the first trip out, just dug and dug. He had them out for a second time this last Saturday and they did so much better! also, this guy likes to crawl in the snow. hardly ever have I heard him let his LS sing. when he had 41" irok radials, he could crawl most places. the new pitbulls like to EAT! he was bouncing off the rev limited the second half of the day and the pitbulls were kicking ass
Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #238 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
didn't go low enough. they don't even squat until like 2 psi when theyre on a wrangler
We are supposed to go back up this weekend but the Puyallup 4x4 swapmeet is going on. Maybe next weekend we will get back out in the snow. The guy is new to deep snow wheeling. I told him I was starting at about .5 psi and he laughed.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 128588
to follow up on this thread - IMO the best 38-40" SNOW tire is the 38x15.5R15 Interco Trxus STS Radial or 39.5x15R15 Interco Trxus STS Bias ply depending on weight of vehicle and axle size
Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
to follow up on this thread - IMO the best 38-40" SNOW tire is the 38x15.5R15 Interco Trxus STS Radial or 39.5x15R15 Interco Trxus STS Bias ply depending on weight of vehicle and axle size
Do you ever feel like they are lacking traction? I know more aggressive tires like iroks CAN dig, but I feel like more open tread can help a lot with traction.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #241 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Do you ever feel like they are lacking traction? I know more aggressive tires like iroks CAN dig, but I feel like more open tread can help a lot with traction.
absolutely! I think in some snow types, its what makes them shine cause they wont dig. looking forward to seeing how they do in the wet soft spring snow
Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
absolutely! I think in some snow types, its what makes them shine cause they wont dig. looking forward to seeing how they do in the wet soft spring snow
Maybe our snow is more different than I thought, in my experience, 9 out of 10 times, when you don't have traction you aren't going anywhere.

Spring snow is even more dependent on traction.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #243 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Yeah Iíve talked with guys that have ran these. And I can see in some circumstances them kicking ass. I used to wheel with a guy who ran Mickey Thompson Baja belteds. They kicked ass in the deep stuff if the conditions were perfect. Again this thread is about the best ALL AROUND tire in the snow. These just arenít it.

I agree with above comment most radial tires aired down 2-3 lbs. sidewalls broken in will do pretty well.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Yeah Iíve talked with guys that have ran these. And I can see in some circumstances them kicking ass. I used to wheel with a guy who ran Mickey Thompson Baja belteds. They kicked ass in the deep stuff if the conditions were perfect. Again this thread is about the best ALL AROUND tire in the snow. These just arenít it.

I agree with above comment most radial tires aired down 2-3 lbs. sidewalls broken in will do pretty well.
here in central WA, the STS is THE tire to run
Old 03-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #245 (permalink)

Member # 25632
So I've heard these are the best snow tires ever made

Got 5 for next to nothing in a trade, 38 radials, they look damn near new. I'm not sure where they have been for the last 20 years, but whatever.

Anything I need to know?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #246 (permalink)

Member # 128588
You dirty dawg!!! Looking forward to seeing how they do. Iíd run them as is at first and see how you like them then start grooving from there. What width are they and what wheels/beadlocks you going to mount them on?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #247 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Pretty sure they are 15.5s

I'd like to put them on some 15x12s but what I have is some 15x9s.....

I put a wanted ad up for some 15x12s, so we'll see.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #248 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Pretty sure they are 15.5s

I'd like to put them on some 15x12s but what I have is some 15x9s.....

I put a wanted ad up for some 15x12s, so we'll see.
15x12s and duct tape
Old 03-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #249 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
15x12s and duct tape
Well they say 15.5, the tread is like 11" and sidewall bubble to bubble at 25 lbs is like 14" they looked perfect on the 10s they came on so I mounted them on my 9.5" beadlocks with a little tape on the inside

1998 called and they want their tires and wheels back

Old 03-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #250 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
Quote:
Any new info?

Curious about some of the 40" radials

Nittos Trail grapplers (these have been out for a while, but I have yet to see them perform in the snow)

Procomp mt2 (saw a guy with them yesterday, he said they were at 4 and looked like they were bagging pretty good, they also looked like they were getting good traction with the sipes in the tread)

Cooper st or whatever?

Maxxis razr?
I have the Procomp MT2's on my 4Runner (40's). Went out last Sunday and started out at 8psi. As you all know, it wasn't low enough. Dropped down to 5 and it was a major improvement. Probably could have dropped another pound or two, but it was going everywhere I pointed it and was able to pull a friend out a time or two very easily. Sorry no action shots and this area was beat down by snowmobiles, but I was the first rig up there.

Specs on 4Runner so that everyone has an idea for their purposes:
4.3, R151, dual cases, 60 front/70 rear, 6.17's. I ended up using all of the gears at various times do to the changes in the snow. I could get on top of it in most places, but occasionally would sink, so back to stupid low, idle, and it would pop back up out of the hole and continue forward.

These are still fairly new with only a couple of runs on them, so they should get better with use, but I was very impressed with how they performed.

Jack

Last edited by locrwln; 03-08-2018 at 06:52 PM.
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in