Best 38-40" tire for snow - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 150599
I think siping a tire helps make the tire work better and keeps it working better as the tire wears down.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #52 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 95131
I've been very impressed with the STS series of tires. I've even ran a set of 29" STS's that kicked ass in the snow. This year, if we ever get snow, I'll be running a set of 44" STS's. 38's have proven very good for the 3-4k weight range.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfixin View Post
I've been very impressed with the STS series of tires. I've even ran a set of 29" STS's that kicked ass in the snow. This year, if we ever get snow, I'll be running a set of 44" STS's. 38's have proven very good for the 3-4k weight range.
Have you ran both the radials and bias plys?

Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
I just got a set of the 38" yokohama's. I'm hoping to try them out next week. At a glance they are a little taller and a little wider than the 97% 37" mtr that I have, looks like they run true to size. I'm excited about the C rated sidewalls.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 01:19 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I just got a set of the 38" yokohama's. I'm hoping to try them out next week. At a glance they are a little taller and a little wider than the 97% 37" mtr that I have, looks like they run true to size. I'm excited about the C rated sidewalls.
badass!!!! I am excited to see some first hand experience. you going to break them in at all? where did you buy them?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I'll see how they bag out first, on larger bias tires I've run them flat for a while to soften them up. I ruined a 37" km2 by letting it get too low for just over a mile, so now I'm gun shy. I bought them from tire rack and have nothing but good things to say. I ordered them the night of the 21st and had them before 10:00 am on the 24th. I'm going to order a 5th next week.

Last edited by Wilson; 12-28-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I really like that size, I wish they didn't have such a bad rep for weak sidewalls in the rocks. I really don't want 2 sets of tires.

I keep looking at the 38 mud grappler, mainly for the 15" wheel......
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Your gonna love the new tires in the snow after the sidewalls break down. Here's my experience with directional tires in the snow. I used to run Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with Side Biters, 39.5x15.5x15, on my flat fender, it looked like a Tonka toy. I had the best of luck turning the front tires backwards to rise up on the snow instead of cutting through it and still running the rear tires in a forward direction. The reverse direction is for pulling the snow underneath and lifting the front end up versus cutting through the snow. I want some action pictures from this weekend, thanks.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
Your gonna love the new tires in the snow after the sidewalls break down. Here's my experience with directional tires in the snow. I used to run Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with Side Biters, 39.5x15.5x15, on my flat fender, it looked like a Tonka toy. I had the best of luck turning the front tires backwards to rise up on the snow instead of cutting through it and still running the rear tires in a forward direction. The reverse direction is for pulling the snow underneath and lifting the front end up versus cutting through the snow. I want some action pictures from this weekend, thanks.
How much did you experiment with the directional thing?

I was kinda thinking the same thing, all 4 reversed might be the best, but could make it very hard to back up when forward progress stops. I'm guessing that's why you run the rears forward.

Only experience I have was riding with my buddy who had 33" Baja class . We had them reversed I remember getting stuck in like 1' of slush. He was trying to throttle through it and forward progress stopped. I was shocked at how much snow it roosted when he hit reverse. Not sure how that translates to floatation though

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 12-28-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #60 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
Anxious to hear your impressions on the Yoko's. It's been a few years, but a buddy had 35's on his 40 and cut a sidewall in a few inches of snow. His dad had just gone through the same spot in his AWD Astro van car tires. I know it only takes mm's between cutting a tire or not, but I was not impressed with the sidewalls. Hope you have better luck.

Jack
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 227979
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
I've found the same result, and also put my fronts on backwards. The added pulling/shoveling action up front is noticeable, especially when climbing hills.

Last edited by wes761; 12-28-2015 at 08:09 PM.
wes761 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 220897
YotaAtieToo, The Mickey Thompsons were only used for snow. One year I just tried reversing the tread on the front after BS'n with some friends about the purpose of directional tires, (to push mud out and cut down to hard pack), well the opposite is pull the snow in and ride up on it. So I gave it a try one day, I feel it worked. When I would start dropping in I would stop, back up the length of my wheel base, put it in low range and then crawl up on the snow. As long as I crawled I kept moving, a little speed and it would want to start to drop in again. Something else the Mickey Thompsons with side biters had was 1-1/2" lugs, if I went the right speed the front tires would throw snowballs up about 3' in the air. My friends said it looked pretty cool. I keep the rear forward direction, ya gotta be able to back out of trouble. If you have bead locks just turn em' around and try it for shits and grins.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Intersting, i'm up to try it.... if i'm thinking right, a simple tire rotation (swap sides with the front two) will have all facing the "correct" way again?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 227979
Quote:
Intersting, i'm up to try it.... if i'm thinking right, a simple tire rotation (swap sides with the front two) will have all facing the "correct" way again?
Yep, you got er.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
Anxious to hear your impressions on the Yoko's. It's been a few years, but a buddy had 35's on his 40 and cut a sidewall in a few inches of snow. His dad had just gone through the same spot in his AWD Astro van car tires. I know it only takes mm's between cutting a tire or not, but I was not impressed with the sidewalls. Hope you have better luck.

Jack
As YotaAtieToo knows, this was my largest debate with buying these. I'm ordering a 5th just for this reason and may sell them if and depending on how I cut one. I made it over 12 years without cutting a tire (not talking about superficial non-leaking cuts), then cut two kevlar's in two trips. I bumped up to 12 psi in the rocks and have had zero problems since. The same was true with another friend and 40" Kevlar's. You can't always fault a tire for cuts.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:32 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
I'll see how they bag out first, on larger bias tires I've run them flat for a while to soften them up. I ruined a 37" km2 by letting it get too low for just over a mile, so now I'm gun shy. I bought them from tire rack and have nothing but good things to say. I ordered them the night of the 21st and had them before 10:00 am on the 24th. I'm going to order a 5th next week.

compared to mtr they "look" like they are going to do awesome, lots of biting edges. when it comes to the sidewalls, I would just throw a little air in them before mobbin back down to the pavement. most tires I've seen cut sidewalls is when guys air them down in the 1-3lb range in not enough snow
Old 12-29-2015, 01:57 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I keep looking at the 38 mud grappler, mainly for the 15" wheel......
Wilson is the guinea pig for the yokohama's, you can be the guinea pig for the grapplers

I really think they would be awesome on a 15x12 wheel
Old 12-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 175753
I have the mud grappler in this size
Lt385/70R16 D tall37.72 wide15.35
And going up to the snow in a couple days so I will report back.
I will tell you I'm impressed with them on the rocks and the side walls have proven strong to say the least, plus they flex great with out bead locks, I air down to 10 on the trail and not sure I would go more with bead locks. The only complaint is the side hill traction was bad on wet rocks compared to the trail grapplers. If they don't impress in the snow I will groove them.
They are on a heavy 71 bronco also

Last edited by Pipelayer; 12-29-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Pipelayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelayer View Post
I have the mud grappler in this size
Lt385/70R16 D tall37.72 wide15.35
And going up to the snow in a couple days so I will report back.
I will tell you I'm impressed with them on the rocks and the side walls have proven strong to say the least, plus they flex great with out bead locks, I air down to 10 on the trail and not sure I would go more with bead locks. The only complaint is the side hill traction was bad on wet rocks compared to the trail grapplers. If they don't impress in the snow I will groove them.
They are on a heavy 71 bronco also
D and E load range tires are completely different than C load range tires in the snow. Not to mention the extra side wall a 15" wheel provides compared to a 16" or 17" wheel with tire staying the same size
Old 12-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 227979
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
Wilson is the guinea pig for the yokohama's, you can be the guinea pig for the grapplers

I really think they would be awesome on a 15x12 wheel
Toyota John swore by the yoko's.... but also swore that dual skinny tires on all four corners was better than one larger/fatter tire.

I ran the 38/15.50/16 mud grapplers for three seasons and loved them besides all the road noise.... but they're no irok, even after an aggressive grooving/siping. The sidewalls are very stiff (load range D in that size) and took a good while to break in, even with the heavy pig I'm wheeling.

Last edited by wes761; 12-29-2015 at 06:24 AM.
wes761 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 175753
Mine are broke in, side wall flex isent a problem and the d rating isent noticeable on these but the tread is the only thing I'm suspicious about. But if you already know how they will do I won't report back.
Pipelayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelayer View Post
Mine are broke in, side wall flex isent a problem and the d rating isent noticeable on these but the tread is the only thing I'm suspicious about. But if you already know how they will do I won't report back.
By all means please do. I specifically wanted to get into a C range tire. My jeep is not an ultra light, but at just over 4K it doesn't work a heavy tire as well as a heavy rig does.

A few guys ran the 47 ltb's a few years back. I borrowed a 4200 lb rig with them and was regularly getting passed by a ho hum Toyota on old school 35" mtr's. The guy with an 8000 lb bronco loved them.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
compared to mtr they "look" like they are going to do awesome, lots of biting edges. when it comes to the sidewalls, I would just throw a little air in them before mobbin back down to the pavement. most tires I've seen cut sidewalls is when guys air them down in the 1-3lb range in not enough snow
Pinch flats will kill any tire, koh has proven that. The km2 that I killed actually rubbed itself away on the inside. I could not get the tire to balance out. I thought that it was my bead locks, so I bought new ones. When I dismounted the tire, 4 hand fulls of rubber fines came out and there were a dozen bald patches inside the carcass that had rubbed to the cords. The tire was run at 2 lbs in 3+ feet of snow for maybe 2 miles, in my 6000+ pound fzj80.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 25632
The only part I'm not sold on the mud grappler is the tread pattern. They look like they were designed for a brodozer. Having driven a truck with some 35 MG's, the noise is also ridiculous.

However, I'm keeping my eye out for a used set. I'm tempted to just go to some 39.5 iroks, I'm just afraid of how much work I'll have to do to get them to fit.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes761 View Post
dual skinny tires on all four corners was better than one larger/fatter tire.
of course it is, you run one tire at 30 psi for the ice and the other tire at 1 psi for flotation in the powder
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in