Best 38-40" tire for snow - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 227979
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
The only part I'm not sold on the mud grappler is the tread pattern. They look like they were designed for a brodozer. Having driven a truck with some 35 MG's, the noise is also ridiculous.

However, I'm keeping my eye out for a used set. I'm tempted to just go to some 39.5 iroks, I'm just afraid of how much work I'll have to do to get them to fit.
Not really a perfect comparison, but as close as you can find..... here are new 39.5 R17 bias iroks w/25psi vs. 385/70/r16 MG's w/25psi about 3/4 tread.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelayer View Post
Mine are broke in, side wall flex isent a problem and the d rating isent noticeable on these but the tread is the only thing I'm suspicious about. But if you already know how they will do I won't report back.
All I was saying is that your 38" D load range tires are not the same as the 38" C load range tires
Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Pinch flats will kill any tire, koh has proven that. The km2 that I killed actually rubbed itself away on the inside. I could not get the tire to balance out. I thought that it was my bead locks, so I bought new ones. When I dismounted the tire, 4 hand fulls of rubber fines came out and there were a dozen bald patches inside the carcass that had rubbed to the cords. The tire was run at 2 lbs in 3+ feet of snow for maybe 2 miles, in my 6000+ pound fzj80.
Damn, that is wild. I consistently run my tires at 1lb in the deep snow... maybe I should pull a ring off and see how much rubber has wore off inside

Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
Damn, that is wild. I consistently run my tires at 1lb in the deep snow... maybe I should pull a ring off and see how much rubber has wore off inside
The major difference is the weight, I drove my samurai a few miles on a krawler with no air and it didn't do that either, but it was sub 3k lbs also.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 84361
Quote:
I'll see how they bag out first, on larger bias tires I've run them flat for a while to soften them up. I ruined a 37" km2 by letting it get too low for just over a mile, so now I'm gun shy. I bought them from tire rack and have nothing but good things to say. I ordered them the night of the 21st and had them before 10:00 am on the 24th. I'm going to order a 5th next week.

Please update this thread with your thoughts. I've been eyeballing a set of these in the 40 inch favor for my 1 ton toyota. Primarily as a snow tire, I have a set of boggers for the mud and have been looking for a rock/snow tire. Currently torn between these and iroks.

Honestly with the small amount of rocks I run with this truck snow performance is the most important factor for the non bogger tires.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
I have never had that happen before, or since. The fzj80 was the heaviest rig that I have owned though.

Quote:
The major difference is the weight, I drove my samurai a few miles on a krawler with no air and it didn't do that either, but it was sub 3k lbs also.
I think weight was the largest factor too, just makes me gun shy as I said. At the time, the replacement km2 was just under $500
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I have never had that happen before, or since. The fzj80 was the heaviest rig that I have owned though.

I think weight was the largest factor too, just makes me gun shy as I said. At the time, the replacement km2 was just under $500
I don't blame you at all.

My point was just 2 psi in one rig is completely different in another
Old 12-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #83 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 115122
Wow I just looked up the price on the Geolander M/T+ in 38s or 37s they are cheap! Wonder how they would work in other terrains?

$330
Old 12-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:

Was the tire folding over at 2lbs? The only time I've killed a tire like you did is when I let too much air out of a 385/70R16 pro comp xterrain and it was folding over, pretty much flat. It also was under a wagoneer so like you, weight was probably the deciding factor. I pulled the beadlock apart and the tire was full of rubber just like you had described
Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #85 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
Quote:
As YotaAtieToo knows, this was my largest debate with buying these. I'm ordering a 5th just for this reason and may sell them if and depending on how I cut one. I made it over 12 years without cutting a tire (not talking about superficial non-leaking cuts), then cut two kevlar's in two trips. I bumped up to 12 psi in the rocks and have had zero problems since. The same was true with another friend and 40" Kevlar's. You can't always fault a tire for cuts.
I hear you. I have seen the same thing, no flats and suddenly the Karma train hits.

I agree with everyone else, the Yoko's look like they will work great. I am going to try the Pro Comps (40's) once I get the rig built.

Has anyone tried the Pro Comps in snow? I've only found a several year old mention and it was favorable. Just curious if anyone has an updated experience.

Jack
locrwln is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
I hear you. I have seen the same thing, no flats and suddenly the Karma train hits.

I agree with everyone else, the Yoko's look like they will work great. I am going to try the Pro Comps (40's) once I get the rig built.

Has anyone tried the Pro Comps in snow? I've only found a several year old mention and it was favorable. Just curious if anyone has an updated experience.

Jack
The procomps I've seen in the wild haven't been great. Hard rubber, stiff sidewalls.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

Jack
I've never heard anything good about procomp tires. The few sets I've had experience with were almost plastic hard.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:

Jack
One of my good friends runs the new 40" MT2's on his LJ and loves them. I can say first hand that they do very well in the snow. Being a C load range they squat very good. Here's a pic of him breaking trail
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Was the tire folding over at 2lbs? The only time I've killed a tire like you did is when I let too much air out of a 385/70R16 pro comp xterrain and it was folding over, pretty much flat. It also was under a wagoneer so like you, weight was probably the deciding factor. I pulled the beadlock apart and the tire was full of rubber just like you had described
Yes, not sure how I missed it when I first aired down. I do not air down to the point that the tire folds, the contact Patch becomes uneven and flotation suffers.

^awesome pic!

Last edited by Wilson; 12-29-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Yes, not sure how I missed it when I first aired down. I do not air down to the point that the tire folds, the contact Patch becomes uneven and flotation suffers.

^awesome pic!
my beadlocks slowly leaked so by the end of the day it was folded over... crazy how fast them being folded over will kill a tire! I agree, just enough air to keep them bulging without folding over is the sweet spot for deep snow I've found, at least for my rig
Old 12-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 33065
I have 39.5" iroks on a 15" wheel and they do great in the snow. I run them at 1-2 psi and have never had issues. If there is a chance i will see dirt or a rock I will keep them at 2-3 psi. At 1 psi they just go.

Hopefully we get some more snow soon!

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 PM   #92 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
The procomps I've seen in the wild haven't been great. Hard rubber, stiff sidewalls.
Quote:
I've never heard anything good about procomp tires. The few sets I've had experience with were almost plastic hard.
Quote:
One of my good friends runs the new 40" MT2's on his LJ and loves them. I can say first hand that they do very well in the snow. Being a C load range they squat very good. Here's a pic of him breaking trail
Thanks for the comments. Looks like I will get to find out for sure. That last picture is pretty awesome and that is the same size I will be using on my 4Runner.

Jack
Old 01-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 175753
Quote:
By all means please do. I specifically wanted to get into a C range tire. My jeep is not an ultra light, but at just over 4K it doesn't work a heavy tire as well as a heavy rig does.

A few guys ran the 47 ltb's a few years back. I borrowed a 4200 lb rig with them and was regularly getting passed by a ho hum Toyota on old school 35" mtr's. The guy with an 8000 lb bronco loved them.
Wilson I went up yesterday and the snow wasn't great for a tire test being so dry
But what I did see wasn't impressive the side hill traction was what you would think by looking at the tread pattern and they want to dig, part of that is my heavy bronco and part is the driver that likes the sound of a built motor. I will go up when we get more snow and let you know if things change before I start grooving them all up.
Pipelayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Thanks! I'm not going to make it up this weekend to try mine out. It looks like the snow has frozen up here for the time being. Hopefully we get some fresh stuff soon.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 107096
with alittle grooving these 38x12.50s work really good
Attached Images

107096 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 03:05 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Looks like I will get to find out for sure. That last picture is pretty awesome and that is the same size I will be using on my 4Runner.

Jack
I think the 40" procomps go better than the 40" mtrk's.... in both snow and the rocks they're a lot cheaper too!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #97 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
Quote:
I think the 40" procomps go better than the 40" mtrk's.... in both snow and the rocks they're a lot cheaper too!
That's what I like to hear. I had 35" MTRK's on my LJ and they did ok (no beadlocks, so only down to 8psi), but I am hoping the 40's do as well or better.

Thank you,

Jack
Old 01-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
That is pretty cool to be hearing. The mtr-k do pretty well.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 413097
Location: North of the border in Okanagan B.C., You know, "The Great White North"...
Quote:
Thanks! I'm not going to make it up this weekend to try mine out. It looks like the snow has frozen up here for the time being. Hopefully we get some fresh stuff soon.

Looking forward to your report and hopefully you find success in the white stuff with the new tires.

Cheers D
Dialed-In is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2016, 01:56 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 413097
Location: North of the border in Okanagan B.C., You know, "The Great White North"...
Quote:
From only the selection of tires on this list I made, what is your guys opinion?

I'm pretty sure the Pro-Comps on that list are a only in a 17" wheel and I would put my money on the Bias Iroks offering the best traction in snow.
Haven't seen either the Yoko's or the Nitto's (Mud Grapplers in that specific size) though.

Cheers D

Last edited by Dialed-In; 01-13-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Dialed-In is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in