Best 38-40" tire for snow - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 184115
Sounds like a keyboard snow wheeler. Thats like sayin iroks dont work in the snow. I dont wheel in the rocks or mud snow only, i have a yota on all yota running gear,syped and grooved 41.5 pitbulls , have not had a better snow tire the compound stays soft no matter temp they bag out amazing sidehill very well. My last tire was a 42 irok then before that was a 46 claw all same truck same running gear, have not had a better tire. Run 2lbs on a water pressure guage(more accurate) was the only rig to get past soup bowl on the con a few nights ago .
Irnmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 184115
I think you might be getting the bias 42 and the radial 41 crossed. I would not run the bias 42 either but the 41 radial amazing snowtire. You ask the real snow wheelers the ones who dedicate snow wheelin they will also agree on the radial pitbull
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 135279
I have done a little snow wheeling myself. This is about as dedicated snow built as you can get. Maybe it wasn't a Radial PB that I was around but I have a hard time believing they are the "best" snow tire. Would be cool to have some kind of snow comp just to see.

attachmentid=2159905&stc=1https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2159913&stc=1&d=145727 7308&d=1457277308[/url]
Attached Images

shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 210036
I'm running a set of bias pitbull rockers... Great tire, but like others said... the bias just don't work like the radials for the snow. Grooving required either way.

A few guy run the growlers up here any like them, any others have an opinion on them?
BSInc. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
I thought my 42" bias rockers worked just as well as my 42" iroks, a friend with 44's work well also. Now, the 39" bias rockers suck.
Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #156 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
As of now planning on running my 42" BIAS IROK for snow

@Wilson -- I read a couple pages back the radial 41 iroks walked away from the 42 bias -- thoughts as to why? Was it they could run <PSI and maintain height? Or?
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
@Todd W radial tires air down differently than bias tires. They maintain their contact patch at lower pressures than bias tires and seem to conform better at lower pressures.
Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #158 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
@Todd W radial tires air down differently than bias tires. They maintain their contact patch at lower pressures than bias tires and seem to conform better at lower pressures.
That makes sense.

I gogled for some images and this image:
http://my1970z28.com/pics/etc/radial-vs-bias.jpg

even states "stabilize the tread" in re: radial tires

Radial swampers were too damn stiff on the rocks, I hated the 'bounce' they gave compared to the BIAS SX I used to run, but going to some MTRs wasn't really noticeable... now back to IROKs for snow/rocks and maybe some MTRs for rocks in the future, well see what I can get

Speaking of which, just dropped to mid 30*s we be getting some fresh snow

Last edited by Todd W; 03-06-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 184115
Im in sacramento just an 1.5 hrs from the rubicon. That rig looks cool real heavy lookin lol. Like i said my junk is all toyota and stripped down no cage work no wonches ect as light as i could get it. I ran 46 claws for 2 winters than 42 irocs all snow conditions are different but what i noticed about the radial rockers is they stay soft no matter what the temp also bag out like no big tire i have seen , true story on nogjt and day dofgerence between the radial and bias rockers. There also very large tire like the radial mtr . In my personal exsperiance (snow wheeler) the radial rocker is one of if not the best snow tire out there.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnmtn View Post
Im in sacramento just an 1.5 hrs from the rubicon. That rig looks cool real heavy lookin lol. Like i said my junk is all toyota and stripped down no cage work no wonches ect as light as i could get it. I ran 46 claws for 2 winters than 42 irocs all snow conditions are different but what i noticed about the radial rockers is they stay soft no matter what the temp also bag out like no big tire i have seen , true story on nogjt and day dofgerence between the radial and bias rockers. There also very large tire like the radial mtr . In my personal exsperiance (snow wheeler) the radial rocker is one of if not the best snow tire out there.
I'll be the keyboard jokey and tell you, you're a fawkin tard Shrek's rig weighs 3600lbs with a 6.2L LS and was built for the SNOW. those are 42" mtr's on his rig... keep stroking your pitbull rocker pecker, there's a reason not a lot of people run pitbulls in the snow
Old 03-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 184115
Hahahah. 3600 thats a bit beefy... mtrs are amazing as well and im not a pitbull fan either but i run them and they work as well as the mtr or a little better. Both are a big radial as in they hold there size a true 41+ size. But its hard to compare apples to apples as i am waaayyyy lighter than that , and no tard here . I will post up some vids later , go once a year to go wheel with snow batman and the boys and then 2weeks up in bc with joc and the boys. Loke i said just putting a tire out there that is an amazing performer in the snow with a very soft compound that stays soft no matter the temp and if your a snow wheeler you know that is very important. Anyway dont want to go back and fourth with people you never see deep in the wilderness when there is snow on the ground . Make sure you keep a winch on those things cuz your going to need it .. hahahah.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Hahahah. 3600 thats a bit beefy... mtrs are amazing as well and im not a pitbull fan either but i run them and they work as well as the mtr or a little better. Both are a big radial as in they hold there size a true 41+ size. But its hard to compare apples to apples as i am waaayyyy lighter than that , and no tard here . I will post up some vids later , go once a year to go wheel with snow batman and the boys and then 2weeks up in bc with joc and the boys. Loke i said just putting a tire out there that is an amazing performer in the snow with a very soft compound that stays soft no matter the temp and if your a snow wheeler you know that is very important. Anyway dont want to go back and fourth with people you never see deep in the wilderness when there is snow on the ground . Make sure you keep a winch on those things cuz your going to need it .. hahahah.
Are you the guy who thinks his full body Toyota on 42s is under 3000 lbs?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Are you the guy who thinks his full body Toyota on 42s is under 3000 lbs?
no he's the hard core snow wheeler that doesn't have a winch on his rig....
Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 67935
another factor in snow tires is if theyre broken in or not and how they were done. my buddys iroks have never been aired down and run on the street to make them soft but are 3 years old. they fold over instead of flex because they have to be run at almost no pressure to bag out

same buddys 4runner doesnt have a winch either says he doesnt need one. guess thats why i always go first into the chit

Last edited by 79chevy39.5's; 03-07-2016 at 08:28 PM.
79chevy39.5's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 184115
Its just yota running gear and its 3230 . And didnt build winch bumpers as i never go out alone. There will be 7 of us at loon lake trailhead saturday at 8, instead of wheelin on the keyboard come out and join us. Lots of fresh snow should be a good time to do a tire test funny you call me a tard sometimes when you put a screen name to a face most of the wheelers on here know me by first name lol anyways gentelman hope to see you out there and when you need a tug you can always hook to the back of my chassis.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chevy39.5's View Post
another factor in snow tires is if theyre broken in or not and how they were done. my buddys iroks have never been aired down and run on the street to make them soft but are 3 years old. they fold over instead of flex because they have to be run at almost no pressure to bag out

same buddys 4runner doesnt have a winch either says he doesnt need one. guess thats why i always go first into the chit
shit if I didn't have a winch I'd still be stuck where I saw you guys last weekend, it's hard following 44s over downed trees on little 35s
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Quote:
Its just yota running gear and its 3230 . And didnt build winch bumpers as i never go out alone. There will be 7 of us at loon lake trailhead saturday at 8, instead of wheelin on the keyboard come out and join us. Lots of fresh snow should be a good time to do a tire test funny you call me a tard sometimes when you put a screen name to a face most of the wheelers on here know me by first name lol anyways gentelman hope to see you out there and when you need a tug you can always hook to the back of my chassis.
Why should someone else be responsible for pulling you out? That logic makes no sense.

Sounds fun. If I wasn't 12 hrs +- away I would be there. I will be out this weekend anyway's.
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 184115
To bad you couldnr make it out should be an epic trip, as far as the winch thing i have been super lucky so far ,i put 4.7s in both cases so its waaay slow and i have always been able to back out. All my buddys give me shit about beeing to slow and waiting but i seem to always go the farthest hahahah. I cant remember the last time my little motor saw more than 3k rpm.lol i will post some pics of the trip once again we will be at loon lake at 10am saturday snow or shine.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
To bad you couldnr make it out should be an epic trip, as far as the winch thing i have been super lucky so far ,i put 4.7s in both cases so its waaay slow and i have always been able to back out. All my buddys give me shit about beeing to slow and waiting but i seem to always go the farthest hahahah. I cant remember the last time my little motor saw more than 3k rpm.lol i will post some pics of the trip once again we will be at loon lake at 10am saturday snow or shine.
Hardcorest snow wheeler and you've never been stuck?

Also, can you stop cocking this thread up bragging about your pos?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Irnmtn, The snow on the Con. has been pretty bad since Feb. The rain has turned the snow the slush, Fridays fresh snow will just be 8" of fresh snow on slush. We need a few days of low temps to refreeze it. I had a good run going in the Tahoe side 1500' higher deep snow not slush Buy a good winch and extra straps.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 184115
Lol hardcorest. Tim thnks for the heads up dave is coming with me (danger ranger) lol he has his white four runner runnin good . I called alfred yesterday to see how he has been but no answer. How you like your iroks , last time i wheeled with ya you were runnin alfreds old baja claws. Hope to see you on the trail , my brother went up today and did the pilken rd loop , i still have som
e vids and pictures of you parking on my front tire and breakin a front axle on iron mountain.. i finally put together that sprint car chassis with yota runnin gear together its a kick in the pants just cold lol. Come out saturday and run with us.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 227979
Went wheeling today with a truck that had ungrooved/unsiped 42" bias pbr's @ 5psi, locked rear but open front. My heavily grooved/siped 39.5 bias Iroks @ 3psi on my locked front & rear fell a bit short of his, both trucks weighing relatively the same & LS motors. My next tire will be a 41.5" pbr, without a doubt. Snow started off cold and not sticking, but became ideal as it warmed up into the 50's later on..... neither conditions changed how the pbrs pulled away from my Iroks. These tires are the real deal, and if anyone seen them not perform in snow, gaurantee they weren't aired down enough and/or the power to turn them effectively.

Last edited by wes761; 03-11-2016 at 08:34 PM.
wes761 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 184115
The crazy part is the radials run circles around the bias ones. Seem a little taller to.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 25632
So the conclusion is that the best 38-40" tire for the snow is a 42" pbr radial
Old 03-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 184115
Cant say that its just a very good option . Nice to see you out there today tim . Sucked we had to pull ron around all day. Next time he will leave his truck home . Yoir rig works killer with the 40s on it. Snow got good when we were leaving , we headed up pilken and played for a few. See you up there soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in