Best 38-40" tire for snow - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 220897
I got a little snow time yesterday with Irnmtn and friends. The snow was surprisingly good approx. 2/3' with good traction. I never saw anybody's tires pack up with snow. So the group had 42" PBR radials and 37" PBR radials both like new condition. Eric (Irnmtn) 40-42"? worn Iroc Radials, and my 39.5 Iroc radials like new. I have run Mickey Thompson 39.5x15.5x15 Baja claws with side biters Bias. In my opinion, for my rig, 3900 lb loaded, 86.5" wheel base, Bias just suck. The Bias would bag up from one side to the other causing my rig to wobble. I think we were all around 2/5 lbs. all tires had matching flex, were lifting and throwing clumps of snow and cleaning well. I wish I had my camera to show all the tires working, I had my door open looking at my tires while pullin' a rig down the trail and was surprised to see the shape of the tire with a load on it. The front of the tire was pulled tight to the wheel (15x10 beadlocks) the back looked stretched out a foot, the tire was totally elongated and it would have been a good pic for this thread. Rambling sorry, so my opinion, unless every tire was on matching rigs, same time, day, conditions there is no way to compare tires. My personal opinion, I think the Pitbull Rocker Radials with the wider square lugs (contact patch being a little wider) may be the best snow tire. Just my .02
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 184115
Yea snow got good in the evening ron broke his serpentine belt on the yota so he took my trailer and rig to get his truck home. I stayed until dark playin around. Those were 42, on my truck. My chassis rig has the pbrs . Forcast called for rain so didnt want to bring it. This weekend we are going back and leaving the mall truck at home lol. Great to see you again.
Irnmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Since we're adding 42s in the mix? Anyone like their 42 bias iroks? I have been constantly unimpressed with them on my buddies Toyota, even at 1 lb they don't seem to squat or work very well. Which is odd because I have had really good experiences with a few different sets of 39 bias iroks.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 184115
I have 42 iroks on my truck super old and wore out, regroved them so they have about 50% tread they work killer ,super old and floppy though hahaha. My 41.5 pbrs are alot bigger side by side on the same wheel. Its hard to beat an irok in the snow. At the end of the day you can have a driver with 33s run circles around a clown wuth 40s. My buddy joc lives in bc and he runs an alluminum tub jeep with a nasty big block. Has been runnin 46 claws and now went to the radial pbrs with great luck. You will start seeing the snow wheelers going to them,havnt seen or used them on the rocks but then again im not a rock crawler. We will be headed up this weekend come out and i will toss you the keys and you can see first hand how they work.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #180 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
I never thought my 42" iroks sucked, when I ran them.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 7233
A real 38-40" x 13.50-15.50 radial growler would give the geolandar a run for their money, IMO.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
A real 38-40" x 13.50-15.50 radial growler would give the geolandar a run for their money, IMO.
I would run that tire in a heart beat if they made it for a 15" wheel.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #183 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I was looking at pit bulls website, they make 30-31 and then a 47, wtf?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
I would run that tire in a heart beat if they made it for a 15" wheel.
I'd even compromise for a c rated sidewall in 17". I've already made the switch though.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I'd even compromise for a c rated sidewall in 17". I've already made the switch though.
One thing pit bull is really good about is a variety of wheel choice. I can't see them jumping on the "17s or nothing" bandwagon.

Shoot, I think they are even still offering a ton of tires in 16.5.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-14-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 128588
I don't know about you guys, but I like to go fast when snow wheeling. That double low first gear put put snow wheelin bores the shit outa me. Having a 4banger, I am limited to the tire size I run because 40" or bigger and the little 4 banger just doesn't have enough woopow to go fast no matter how much gearing I have. Of course I could go with a bigger motor but then that means the rest of the drivetrain needs to be bigger = a lot more weight. There's a certain sweet spot where your power, weight and tire size all match up. The problem I see with 39.5-43" tires is that they're kind of in that middle/transition spot. You gotta have some weight to squat them but still be light enough that you don't require 44"+ and you gotta have the HP to turn them (unless you like going slow of course). IMO, a 39.5" tire on a 4banger is about the limit with my drivetrain, unless you got some 2.0L+ turbo motor making over 200hp. If I had a LS I would be running 44" STS's or 46" claws. I would love to run the 39.5 STS's but they are just too much tire (wide) to actually have some speed (fun) in my rig.

The problem I have the with pitbulls is that they are a thick (heavy) tire and they are in that transition size (4banger-v8). I have also seen first hand a couple quality issues with pitbull tires that make me hesitant to ever buy a set. Now, they may work fine on irnmtns rig, but like he said, he has 4.7s in each case and a 22r = way to freakin slow for my kind of snow wheelin.

But of a ramble, probably doesn't make sense, but the reasoning for starting this thread
Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #187 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Becoming more and more of a STS believer.

Last edited by shrek tits; 03-14-2016 at 07:56 PM.
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I like to go fast when snow wheeling. That double low first gear put put snow wheelin bores the shit outa me. Having a 4banger, I am limited to the tire size I run because 40" or bigger and the little 4 banger just doesn't have enough woopow to go fast no matter how much gearing I have. Of course I could go with a bigger motor but then that means the rest of the drivetrain needs to be bigger = a lot more weight. There's a certain sweet spot where your power, weight and tire size all match up. The problem I see with 39.5-43" tires is that they're kind of in that middle/transition spot. You gotta have some weight to squat them but still be light enough that you don't require 44"+ and you gotta have the HP to turn them (unless you like going slow of course). IMO, a 39.5" tire on a 4banger is about the limit with my drivetrain, unless you got some 2.0L+ turbo motor making over 200hp. If I had a LS I would be running 44" STS's or 46" claws. I would love to run the 39.5 STS's but they are just too much tire (wide) to actually have some speed (fun) in my rig.

The problem I have the with pitbulls is that they are a thick (heavy) tire and they are in that transition size (4banger-v8). I have also seen first hand a couple quality issues with pitbull tires that make me hesitant to ever buy a set. Now, they may work fine on irnmtns rig, but like he said, he has 4.7s in each case and a 22r = way to freakin slow for my kind of snow wheelin.

But of a ramble, probably doesn't make sense, but the reasoning for starting this thread
I agree, that doesn't stop some of the guys around here from running 42s-54s 2ith 4 cylinders. Yes there was actually a guy running 54s with a 22r
Old 03-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Don't forget the R!!!!!

In all seriousness, most serious snow wheelers would agree with you Joe. The 47 ltb is an example of what you are talking about, in my experience. Guys that weigh close to or over 6k love them, under 6k, they suck. I was literally being driven circles around by rigs on 35" radials one trip and had to crawl a hill at 1200:1 (not a typo) that everyone else was spanking.

My switch from 37" kevlars to the 38" geolandars got me into my sweet spot. I went from following a heavier rig on 42" kevlar's to leading the pack. On my current re-build I kept the d44's and a 38" tire is about as big as I'm comfortable with, but the larger goal was to keep weight down.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek tits View Post
Becoming more and more of a STS believer.
If I ever go with that new 4.3L ecotec, I am going to buy a set of the 39.5 STS's. Tired of getting spanked by our buddies who run them
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Don't forget the R!!!!!

In all seriousness, most serious snow wheelers would agree with you Joe. The 47 ltb is an example of what you are talking about, in my experience. Guys that weigh close to or over 6k love them, under 6k, they suck. I was literally being driven circles around by rigs on 35" radials one trip and had to crawl a hill at 1200:1 (not a typo) that everyone else was spanking.

My switch from 37" kevlars to the 38" geolandars got me into my sweet spot. I went from following a heavier rig on 42" kevlar's to leading the pack. On my current re-build I kept the d44's and a 38" tire is about as big as I'm comfortable with, but the larger goal was to keep weight down.
I'm building a set of D44's for my jeep right now as I need more width and I'm tired of worrying about when the Suzuki axles are going to explode (yes I have Suzuki axles under my jeep ). I'm concerned that I'll lose my "sweet spot" even though I am jumping up to a 37" tire from a 35 but theres only one way to find out
Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 184115
There is a guy i run with he goes back and fourth with cepek and sts depend on snow. They work killer both sets, i have never hag goodlyck going fast in snow ,get stuck real bad plus were we wheel at its tight technical stuff, when i go up north and wheel my buddy runs one of those alluminum body rigs with crazy hp. Whole different ball game , funny thing is one works good in one type of snow and the othere dosnt. My exsperiance is slower you go the further you get actually i think thats my excuse not to have a winch.lol. there is this old tumer with a willys has an oddfire 6 and runs grooved sprint cat tires and kills it. Funny to watch
Old 03-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Still waiting on some pic's "keyboard jockey" Irnmtn.

You don't run a winch because you expect others to bail you out. Also known as a Democrat!
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 67935
I think sts work great (mine are no where close to new) but the iroks seem to hold on side hills better. Also due to avalibility (used) I jumped back on the irok wagon for the remainder of the year. Really really want to step up and buy a set of the 4d yokos to try.

As to the 42 irok comment they absolutely need to be broken in run them on the street in single digit pressure to get them nice and warm...totally changes the tire. they'll bag as higher pressure so the tire wont fold and flop as much and stay on the bead better.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 184115
I know keyboard jockey. There is many on this thread who wheel with me on a weekly basis,i have been runnin my truck latley not the buggy. I wheeled with tim and a few others last weekend had some amazing snow todays snow sucked super slushy and got a sunburn . Awsome day. Come join us . We will be at loon lake trailhead at 9
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 184115
And the winch thing was the buggy only . I was trying to build the lightest possible rig i could build thats why i went with a sprint car chassis. My goal was to be right around 2400 lbs. With a true 42 inch tall tire pbr radial with super low gearing 2 cases both with 4.7 and 4.1 i have never been in a situation were i couldnt put it in low low and back out and if i couldnt i would jump out while it was chugging away and dig a little here and there and it would pop right out. I will run one sooner than later $$$$$ but until then it will work. Other people on here can attest as long as your going slow you dont get burried. Yea its boring to some but to me its amazing when you look at your tracks and there is cracks in them were its a few feet deeper underneath and your floating ontop. I have a few buddies with nasty motors and they always get there before me or get burried and when we get to a point were we cant go any further i have always been able to chug along different strokes for different folks i guess...
Old 04-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #197 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I accidentally posted about these in the other tire thread.

Snow grapplers

Kinda late in the year to really test floatation. However I should still be able to see how they hook up in the spring snow.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #198 (permalink)

Member # 128588
You grooved the hell out of those!!! I bet they will do good in spring snow, plenty of side hill traction now

Last edited by 86chevyjoe; 04-27-2016 at 10:03 PM.
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #199 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Ya, can't say I would have done it to a new set of tires. The lugs are still pretty big though. Otherwise I wouldn't have cut them in half horizontally. For size reference, the wider grooves are 3/4". I would have used 1/2" but it's all I had (thanks again Hans ) until the summit order shows up. Wilson thinks I should groove between the lugs into the carcass a little. I'm just a little skurred with how old the tires are.

Anyone know how much rubber a normal tire has untill you hit belts?

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 04-27-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #200 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Ya, can't say I would have done it to a new set of tires. The lugs are still pretty big though. Otherwise I wouldn't have cut them in half horizontally. For size reference, the wider grooves are 3/4". I would have used 1/2" but it's all I had (thanks again Hans ) until the summit order shows up. Wilson thinks I should groove between the lugs into the carcass a little. I'm just a little skurred with how old the tires are.

Anyone know how much rubber a normal tire has untill you hit belts?
All the Canadians we run with like skinny narrow grooves and lots of em to give more biting edges but if you look what snowbatman did to his MG's he put more lateral tracktion grooves like you did.

When I grooved a bald set of bfg AT's for the sand, I could go about an 1/8" before I hit the belts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in