Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   Snow Wheelin' (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Best 38-40" tire for snow (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2174650)

86chevyjoe 10-14-2015 09:58 AM

Best 38-40" tire for snow
 
1 Attachment(s)
From only the selection of tires on this list I made, what is your guys opinion?

wes761 10-14-2015 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 33794442)
From only the selection of tires on this list I made, what is your guys opinion?

I've ran two on your list in the sizes spec'd.... Nitto MG's and Bias Iroks. Both tires perform great in snow but the Iroks were better. Both sets I had were generously cut & siped.

ky scrambled 10-14-2015 03:46 PM

Irok

YotaAtieToo 10-14-2015 04:19 PM

Can't say I've seen a ton of those tires in the snow, but it's very hard to beat a radial irok in the snow for that size.

The 15" wheel option will help as well.

I've ran 2 different sets of bias 39 iroks with good results also.

Wilson 10-14-2015 07:32 PM

Irok radials. The bias tires work well, but side by side on nearly identical toyotas; the radials walked away

86chevyjoe 10-14-2015 07:38 PM

Everybody says iroks!!!! Lots of guys I snow wheel with run iroks. There's gotta be something better :flipoff2:

My hesitation with iroks is that I have a 2800lb jeep and they are stiff basted a new. The radial iroks are almost $200 more a tire too :eek:

I'm honestly leaning towards the yokohamas... but haven't been able to find any input about the 40s on the interwebs

Wilson 10-14-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 33802650)
Everybody says iroks!!!! Lots of guys I snow wheel with run iroks. There's gotta be something better :flipoff2:

My hesitation with iroks is that I have a 2800lb jeep and they are stiff basted a new. The radial iroks are almost $200 more a tire too :eek:

I'm honestly leaning towards the yokohamas... but haven't been able to find any input about the 40s on the interwebs

I sincerely want to try the 38" Yokohama's. I would likely already own them if I could only manage to see one in person first. None of my local suppliers, including Big O can get them. Seems as if tire rack is it :( There is no way I could fit a 40 tire, nor do I want to limit my driving style anymore. My 37" kevlar's rub the frame, links, coil buckets and inner raised fenders as it is.

sasaholic 10-14-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson (Post 33803226)
I sincerely want to try the 38" Yokohama's. I would likely already own them if I could only manage to see one in person first. None of my local suppliers, including Big O can get them. Seems as if tire rack is it :( There is no way I could fit a 40 tire, nor do I want to limit my driving style anymore. My 37" kevlar's rub the frame, links, coil buckets and inner raised fenders as it is.

I've been wanting to try them also for a more road friendly tire. Discounttiredirect.com has stupid cheap prices on them

86chevyjoe 10-14-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson (Post 33803226)
I sincerely want to try the 38" Yokohama's. I would likely already own them if I could only manage to see one in person first. None of my local suppliers, including Big O can get them. Seems as if tire rack is it :( There is no way I could fit a 40 tire, nor do I want to limit my driving style anymore. My 37" kevlar's rub the frame, links, coil buckets and inner raised fenders as it is.

Be the guinea pig :flipoff2:

You guys are supposed to get record amounts of snowfall in Cali this year, would be the perfect time to buy them :D

I wonder why only tire rack can get them? I looked on discount tire and they only had them up to 35s

YotaAtieToo 10-14-2015 10:06 PM

I have heard good things about the 38 nittos also, not to shabby of a price either, for the size.

I kinda believe that an aggressive tread is actually better in the snow. The problem with that is that for the most part, aggressive tread goes hand in hand with a stiff side wall. I also think this is why iroks and (from what I have heard) the mud grapplers do so well, very flexible sidewall with aggressive tread.

For that reason, I am not sold on the yoko's, for our type of snow.

Wilson 10-14-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 33804450)
Be the guinea pig :flipoff2:

You guys are supposed to get record amounts of snowfall in Cali this year, would be the perfect time to buy them :D

I wonder why only tire rack can get them? I looked on discount tire and they only had them up to 35s

Not true, record amounts of rain does not equal record amounts of snow. El Nino events are characterized by warmer, wetter storms. When the last one hit in 96 there was an early decent snow pack that was instantaneously thawed, which led to the flooding. I'm only hoping that the powers that be can manage to fill the reservoirs before sending it down stream.

86chevyjoe 10-15-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 33804514)
I have heard good things about the 38 nittos also, not to shabby of a price either, for the size.

I kinda believe that an aggressive tread is actually better in the snow. The problem with that is that for the most part, aggressive tread goes hand in hand with a stiff side wall. I also think this is why iroks and (from what I have heard) the mud grapplers do so well, very flexible sidewall with aggressive tread.

For that reason, I am not sold on the yoko's, for our type of snow.

You live in Washington? If so we should get together this winter.

The problem I have with the nittos is that I think they'll actually be too stiff :laughing: aren't they a sister company with toyo? Thick heavy tires from what I have heard and read, just like the toyos. A couple buddies run the bias interco STS's in 39.5 and 44s and absolutely love them. They go the same places the Canada guys go on 46" claws.

I wish I made enough money I couldn't just try em all out and find out which one really is the best

86chevyjoe 10-15-2015 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson (Post 33804586)
I'm only hoping that the powers that be can manage to fill the reservoirs before sending it down stream.

You and me both!!! The reservoirs are looking scary. I have read that Cali is "suppose" to have a good snow pack in the sierras this year. I sure hope you guys do.

I called this morning. Tire rack has both the 38" and 40" Yokohamas in stock

jenyus 10-15-2015 09:46 AM

I'm running 38x14.5 toyo MTs in the snow on a YJ and they aren't great. the 35" KM2s I used to have did significantly better. The MTs tread gets packed with snow pretty quick and the tread doesn't clean real well. On snow, they seem to just kinda float on top of the snow until you make ice ruts. I was pretty disappointed with them in the snow. They're EXPENSIVE tires too.

Best ones I ever ran in the snow were my old style 37x12.5 MT/r's

wtfjackbbq 10-15-2015 10:09 AM

The Yokahamas are very popular around here. There are a few guys that run them in our group and like them a lot. That is only for up to 35's though. I can't speak for sure on 38-40's.

YotaAtieToo 10-15-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 33809546)
You live in Washington? If so we should get together this winter.

The problem I have with the nittos is that I think they'll actually be too stiff :laughing: aren't they a sister company with toyo? Thick heavy tires from what I have heard and read, just like the toyos. A couple buddies run the bias interco STS's in 39.5 and 44s and absolutely love them. They go the same places the Canada guys go on 46" claws.

I wish I made enough money I couldn't just try em all out and find out which one really is the best

Nope, Northern California.

I thought the same thing about the mud grapplers, but there was someone one here who had pics of them bagged out at 2 lbs.

86chevyjoe 10-15-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenyus (Post 33809930)
I'm running 38x14.5 toyo MTs in the snow on a YJ and they aren't great. the 35" KM2s I used to have did significantly better. The MTs tread gets packed with snow pretty quick and the tread doesn't clean real well. On snow, they seem to just kinda float on top of the snow until you make ice ruts. I was pretty disappointed with them in the snow. They're EXPENSIVE tires too.

Best ones I ever ran in the snow were my old style 37x12.5 MT/r's

Your toyos have thick heavy sidewalls (great for everything but snow) and are load range D.

I love the old 37" mtrs and quite a few guys still run them up here but I don't want to buy used and anybody with a nice set thinks they're worth gold. I want a bigger tire anyways. A buddy just bought new 42" mtrk's and I bet they are going to work awesome but damn, they are $$$$$. Even the 40s are over $500 a tire :eek:

86chevyjoe 10-15-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 33810722)
Nope, Northern California.

I thought the same thing about the mud grapplers, but there was someone one here who had pics of them bagged out at 2 lbs.

He had them on a 6000lb Tahoe :laughing:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a set I'm just not sold they're the best.

Wilson, how come you haven't tried the 38" nittos instead of the 38" yokohamas? They are easier to get and you can still fit 15" wheels...

ky scrambled 10-15-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 33802650)
Everybody says iroks!!!! Lots of guys I snow wheel with run iroks. There's gotta be something better :flipoff2:

My hesitation with iroks is that I have a 2800lb jeep and they are stiff basted a new. The radial iroks are almost $200 more a tire too :eek:

I'm honestly leaning towards the yokohamas... but haven't been able to find any input about the 40s on the interwebs

Mine is 3K. I pull the valve cores.

Wilson 10-15-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 33811050)
He had them on a 6000lb Tahoe :laughing:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a set I'm just not sold they're the best.

Wilson, how come you haven't tried the 38" nittos instead of the 38" yokohamas? They are easier to get and you can still fit 15" wheels...

I'm not convinced in the least by the nitto's. They are the "in" tire right now because Nitto is giving a lot of tires away (marketing). They are a sister company to toyo and toyos are some of the worst tires that I've seen in the snow.

I run toyos on my tow rig and I want nothing to do with a tire that can go 50k miles on a 7000lb truck, offroad.

oiler 10-15-2015 05:12 PM

Irok radial, I have them and like them better than any of the others on you list. I love deep snow wheeling and I haven't seen or used better.

86chevyjoe 10-15-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson (Post 33813194)
I'm not convinced in the least by the nitto's. They are the "in" tire right now because Nitto is giving a lot of tires away (marketing). They are a sister company to toyo and toyos are some of the worst tires that I've seen in the snow.

I run toyos on my tow rig and I want nothing to do with a tire that can go 50k miles on a 7000lb truck, offroad.

Didn't think of it that way, definitely makes sense. Like you, I wish I could see a 38" or 40" Yokohama and feel how soft the rubber is. I or anybody else can't go wrong with iroks, I'd just really like to run something else and be different I guess.

86chevyjoe 10-15-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ky scrambled (Post 33811090)
Mine is 3K. I pull the valve cores.

Bias or radial?

Wilson 10-15-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 33819186)
Didn't think of it that way, definitely makes sense. Like you, I wish I could see a 38" or 40" Yokohama and feel how soft the rubber is. I or anybody else can't go wrong with iroks, I'd just really like to run something else and be different I guess.

I want to feel the compound, the sidewall and just get an in person impression of the tire. I don't want to run two sets of tires, so I need some durability for summer rocks.

YellowRenegade 10-15-2015 09:41 PM

A guy up here ran the 40" Yokohama's when they first came out. They were on a 1 ton yj. The tires work really well, but the tread tends to get packed up with wet snow.

Yokohama's are good snow tires, but Iroks are better.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.