post up your grooved snow tires - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 711425

Set of mtr's I did on my last Jeep. Helped a bunch.
Scoobynorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynorth View Post

Set of mtr's I did on my last Jeep. Helped a bunch.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 227979
How I did my Iroks, they hook up much better. 10k on these after being cut, seem to be holding up well for being bias.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 31043
old schoooool bfg mt's - tread spread like a pancake at 8-10psi
unreng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 145904
cut similar to my last set. added some wider cuts to center lugs and biggest outer lugs.

winter4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrob0202 View Post

Very nice .

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 128588
getting the new pbr’s ready for the snow wheeling season
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Are those 39.5s?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Are those 39.5s?
Nope, 35x14.5. Mounting them on 15x13 aluminum beadlocks. FLOATERS
Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
Nope, 35x14.5. Mounting them on 15x13 aluminum beadlocks. FLOATERS
Gotcha, bias or radial? Did you ditch the og MTR's? Or just trying something new?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Gotcha, bias or radial? Did you ditch the og MTR's? Or just trying something new?
bias. everybody in my wheeling group is running bias now - 39.5 and 42" iroks - 33, 39, and 44" STS's - 39, 42, and 44" pitbull rockers. all the SXS guys are running 33" STS's on 15x10 method beadlocks.

I ditched the MTR's because they weren't any better than the 35x12.5 maxxis bighorns I started with. I also never broke a SINGLE Suzuki axle part in the snow with the 35s/steel beadlocks, and last winter I pretty much broke every single Suzuki axle part with the 37" mtr's on aluminum beadlocks

figured I'd try a wide set of tires and see what happens, the width seems to be where it is at for the snow. an axle upgrade is in my future unless I turn gay, sell my jeep, and join the SXS crowd
Old 12-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 54841
Quote:
bias. everybody in my wheeling group is running bias now - 39.5 and 42" iroks - 33, 39, and 44" STS's - 39, 42, and 44" pitbull rockers. all the SXS guys are running 33" STS's on 15x10 method beadlocks.

I ditched the MTR's because they weren't any better than the 35x12.5 maxxis bighorns I started with. I also never broke a SINGLE Suzuki axle part in the snow with the 35s/steel beadlocks, and last winter I pretty much broke every single Suzuki axle part with the 37" mtr's on aluminum beadlocks

figured I'd try a wide set of tires and see what happens, the width seems to be where it is at for the snow. an axle upgrade is in my future unless I turn gay, sell my jeep, and join the SXS crowd

How are you liking the grooved Rockers this season?
whiteman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

Interesting, I've always felt that radials completely kill bias in the snow. My 35 mtr/k's would keep up with 40s and 42 bias ply tires pretty easy, unless the snow was completely shit. I'm curious to see what you think of the pbr's
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 128588
35" BIAS pbr's aren't all that I thought they would be. the sidewalls are too stiff and the tread actually caves in on itself in stead of folding the sidewalls. thinking the 12" wide wheels may be hurting me too.

So I sold all that shit and just bought a set of 36x14.5r15 interco trxus STS. Going to mount them on 15x10 steel allied bead locks. I will post up some pics when I get them
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Interesting, I've always felt that radials completely kill bias in the snow. My 35 mtr/k's would keep up with 40s and 42 bias ply tires pretty easy, unless the snow was completely shit. I'm curious to see what you think of the pbr's
so this was the case on the last snow run. everybody was on 42" tires or bigger and the snow was the worst ive ever seen - straight sugar, literally would not pack whatsoever. I had a horrible day, I was literally getting stuck in my buddies tracks. didn't matter if I tried to creep or bounce off the rev limiter, I struggled.

big tires are more better
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
so this was the case on the last snow run. everybody was on 42" tires or bigger and the snow was the worst ive ever seen - straight sugar, literally would not pack whatsoever. I had a horrible day, I was literally getting stuck in my buddies tracks. didn't matter if I tried to creep or bounce off the rev limiter, I struggled.

big tires are more better
Nothing worse than getting all pumped to go to the snow and it's pure sugar. That was pretty much every trip in my wheeler last year. I got so frustrated I didn't go to the snow from like Feb-may.

I'm curious to hear about the sts'
Old 12-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Looking for grooving ideas for the TruXus STS. I have a set of the 44"x21" that need more traction. Not afraid of getting creative either. They are strictly snow tires nothing else.
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 413097
Location: North of the border in Okanagan B.C., You know, "The Great White North"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek tits View Post
Looking for grooving ideas for the TruXus STS. I have a set of the 44"x21" that need more traction. Not afraid of getting creative either. They are strictly snow tires nothing else.
I'd suggest adding more siping in addition to or instead of grooving for those STS Swampers.

Regardless please let us know what you did and how it worked.

Cheers D
Dialed-In is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Nothing worse than getting all pumped to go to the snow and it's pure sugar. That was pretty much every trip in my wheeler last year. I got so frustrated I didn't go to the snow from like Feb-may.

I'm curious to hear about the sts'
dude, worst snow day I've had. if sugar snow was the only type of snow, I'd move to AZ and become a rock crawler

The Trxus STS are by far the best snow tire made 39.5" and under, IMO there's nothing that compares. if I was looking for snow wheeling tires, 40" and under, I'd buy the STS hands down. The only STS I wouldn't buy would be the 33x13.5 bias version due to the stiff bias sidewalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek tits View Post
I'd groove them just like blaine did his and then add a bunch of cuts in the lugs w/ the rotation of the tire for lateral traction like the guys down in the blues do

Last edited by 86chevyjoe; 01-09-2018 at 09:47 PM.
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
dude, worst snow day I've had. if sugar snow was the only type of snow, I'd move to AZ and become a rock crawler

The Trxus STS are by far the best snow tire made 39.5" and under, IMO there's nothing that compares. if I was looking for snow wheeling tires, 40" and under, I'd buy the STS hands down. The only STS I wouldn't buy would be the 33x13.5 bias version due to the stiff bias sidewalls.

I'd groove them just like blaine did his and then add a bunch of cuts in the lugs w/ the rotation of the tire for lateral traction like the guys down in the blues do
I know a ton of people who don't get snow wheeling, I used to not like it. I tell people the absolute best times wheeling I've had were in the snow but the absolute worst times I've had wheelin where also in the snow.

I have only seen like 2 guys with the 44s and never seen them work. The problem for me is they would only be a snow tire, I wouldn't want those things to touch a rock.

Have you seen anyone with the 38 or 40 geolander yet?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
I know a ton of people who don't get snow wheeling, I used to not like it. I tell people the absolute best times wheeling I've had were in the snow but the absolute worst times I've had wheelin where also in the snow.

I have only seen like 2 guys with the 44s and never seen them work. The problem for me is they would only be a snow tire, I wouldn't want those things to touch a rock.

They are strictly snow tire, but I wouldn’t be afraid to buy a set of 36 or 38” radials and drive them on the street to the snow. The 2 ply sidewalls are extremely soft and do have me somewhat worried. Don’t have to worry about those with the 39 or 44” bias versions.

Only person I’ve seen run the geolanders is Wilson...
Old 01-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
They are strictly snow tire, but I wouldn’t be afraid to buy a set of 36 or 38” radials and drive them on the street to the snow. The 2 ply sidewalls are extremely soft and do have me somewhat worried. Don’t have to worry about those with the 39 or 44” bias versions.

Only person I’ve seen run the geolanders is Wilson...
Ya, street driving should be fine. I was talking about summer time.

Ya, I was with him the one trip they were out. They seemed pretty damn good. The guy who bought them loves them also, but I haven't seen him in the snow with them.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 848
Quote:

Geolandars have been discontinued . My TSL radials are 2ply and work very well.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Ended up getting some (7!) 39.5 Boggers in a trade for a very good value. I've ran Boggers before and never been a fan of them in any terrain I wheel in. But since I currently only have some 35" tall creepy crawlers and some stickie bfgs, these may be what I end up running this winter. 2 put of 3 of the lugs were already cut so I followed that and then did the typical zigzag on the biggest lug. Not sure why I busted out the 1" wide blade on the little lug, it already had a cut right on the middle, so fuck it.

These cuts are to get the massive lugs to flex, I'm thinking about ordering some very thin blades to go across the lug to possibly gain more snow and ice grip.

Also, I'm trying to trade them for something better

You can see in the bottom right where my 5yr old was helping "make it bumpy!"

I was thinking about getting these to do a few cuts width wise. Or should I go a little wider like 1/8-1/4"?

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 01-12-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 128588
I have those little skinny blades. You can only go so deep before they fold over on themselves due to the heat/size of them. I think 2 side to side grooves on the big lugs and 1 side to side groove on the small lugs w/ 1/8” would help a lot. The more biting edges the better. I wouldn’t be afraid to cut a new “face” on all the lugs too.... taking weight off so you can spin them faster lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in