post up your grooved snow tires - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 711425
I like my number 2 blade 2/32 I believe on my ideal groover for snow grooving. It’s kinda like a heavy sipe. Tire can flex and gives a biting edge but leaves tread behind too.
Scoobynorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Ah, well you guys were too slow and I already ordered them along with an 1/8" pack. My buddy lets me borrow his $400 Allstar instant heat (fucker cuts 1"x1" chunks like nothing ) groover so I like to give it back with extra blades.

I figured the 1/32" blade wouldn't be able to cut full tread depth, but sipes don't really need to be that deep. I'll mess with it when i get the blades. Maybe 1 1/8" through the middle of the lugs and a 1/32" on either side.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 01-16-2018 at 09:45 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Ah, well you guys were too slow and I already ordered them along with an 1/8" pack. My buddy lets me borrow his $400 Allstar instant heat (fucker cuts 1"x1" chunks like nothing ) groover so I like to give it back with extra blades.

I figured the 1/32" blade wouldn't be able to cut full tread depth, but sipes don't really need to be that deep. I'll mess with it when i get the blades. Maybe 1 1/8" through the middle of the lugs and a 1/32" on either side.
Same groover I use, only way to go! Post up pics when you’re done

Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 25632

Went a little crazy, very time consuming hopefully they don't disintegrate on the first trip.

The 1/8" are full depth and the sipes are about 1/4" worked great.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 01-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:54 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Started grooving my rzr’s summer tires, cutting weight more than anything. 33x10.5R15 Dick Cepek extreme country’s
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 85771
My Dad runs those on his little YJ core road cruiser. They work really well.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 220897
I'm think'n of siping my TSL's for the weekend but I don't know the best tool for the job. I have a sawsall and a skillsaw... Think'n just set the depth and drop the skillsaw in, no problem?

I have cleaned up the leading edge of my dirtbike tires for years with a grooving tool (borrowed) and have had some lugs tear completely off. The grooving tool I have borrowed in the past had a rounded blade on the bottom. The skillsaw or sawsall would leave a 90 deg. edge that would increase the chance of tearing the lugs off. Right?

Maybe a hot blade in a utility knife?
I can post a pic. of the lugs if needed.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
I'm think'n of siping my TSL's for the weekend but I don't know the best tool for the job. I have a sawsall and a skillsaw... Think'n just set the depth and drop the skillsaw in, no problem?

I have cleaned up the leading edge of my dirtbike tires for years with a grooving tool (borrowed) and have had some lugs tear completely off. The grooving tool I have borrowed in the past had a rounded blade on the bottom. The skillsaw or sawsall would leave a 90 deg. edge that would increase the chance of tearing the lugs off. Right?

I would try and find a groover if you can. flip the blades over and you get 2 sipes per cut. I use my buddies all-star groover...
Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

Skill saw would be *ok* for cutting the middle lugs in half.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 220897
I put new TSL's on my Jeep this year. I have 6 snow runs on them and was not impressed with them so I bought an Ideal grooving tool and started grooving today. Here are some pics of the results and visual comparison of the TSL vs. Irok:

IROK 39.5x1350x15 radial
0 PSI 29" long 17-1/4" wide at 0 PSI

TSL 15x39.5x15 bias
0 PSI 23-3/4" long 19" wide at 0 PSI

Name:  0 PSI.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  67.6 KB

IROK - 1 PSI 28-3/4" long
TSL - 1 PSI 23" long

IROK - 2 PSI 26-3/4" long
TSL - 2 PSI 22-1/4" long

Name:  2 PSI.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  70.0 KB

So...I haven't wheeled the TSL since I grooved them, maybe they will break down a little more after this weekend. 2600/2800 lb rig on 15x10 wheels
Old 03-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Quote:
I put new TSL's on my Jeep this year. I have 6 snow runs on them and was not impressed with them so I bought an Ideal grooving tool and started grooving today. Here are some pics of the results and visual comparison of the TSL vs. Irok:

IROK 39.5x1350x15 radial
0 PSI 29" long 17-1/4" wide at 0 PSI

TSL 15x39.5x15 bias
0 PSI 23-3/4" long 19" wide at 0 PSI

Attachment 2839090

IROK - 1 PSI 28-3/4" long
TSL - 1 PSI 23" long

IROK - 2 PSI 26-3/4" long
TSL - 2 PSI 22-1/4" long

Attachment 2839098

So...I haven't wheeled the TSL since I grooved them, maybe they will break down a little more after this weekend. 2600/2800 lb rig on 15x10 wheels
Thanks for the comparison. Cool idea. Maybe we can get more people to post results. I will measure my 44" STS's tonight. Can also measure my 40" Nitto's.
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 135279
44" STS's at 1 psi are about 23" +- wide and around 29" long.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 145904
So...I haven't wheeled the TSL since I grooved them, maybe they will break down a little more after this weekend. 2600/2800 lb rig on 15x10 wheels[/QUOTE]

Your rig is light enough that in some types of snow you will be floating on the lugs on the tsl... bad for traction. I would cut on those to open up the center a lot more. Even Iroks have to much lug surface area for springtime conditions.
winter4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 830074
so there the same length as the 39 irok,,, hmmmm
Deepsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 830074
tim you need to put waaaay more grooves in those swampers to get them to work. when you got stuck tryin to go down that bank and we pulled you out then dans chevy grove down the bank and to the bottom then back up without any help. it was all tire, your crawl ratio is the same if not a touch lower, your rig should drive circles around that truck every day but its the opposite. me and dan were talking the following weekend when we saw you coming out. those tires will never work as good as your radials no matter what, i would either groove the shit out of those swampers and drive them around at 2-3 psi til they start smoking and break them down then maybe they might work but nowere near as good as the radials, when i can afford them im gonna buy a set of those 41,5 radial rockers, im gonna try these 42 mtrs first this year and maybe next winter get the rocker radials. there is no reason that fullsize should do what it does, with the 42 iroks it was soso and then went to those rocker radials now it kills it. you have seen first hand. there is no reason that rig should out wheel yours in the whitestuff ,,, its all tire....
Old 03-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsnow View Post
so there the same length as the 39 irok,,, hmmmm
I thought the same thing. That's what was sitting on the shop floor. If you measured what would actually be in the snow it would be lots longer. If that makes any sense.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Deepsnow: Eric, From what I have seen the Pit Bull radials are the way to go. And almost positive my Iroks out-perform the TSL's. But I did groove the TSL's with my new Ideal groover and I'm sure It helped. I'm going to buy some more blades and groove a little deeper and longer. Yesterday I pulled the valve stems and left just a wisp of air at Brown rock and crawled up to Sliver Fork, I was able to cross 3' drifts. From what I could tell I was on 3' of snow in 3' drifts and cutting 6" of snow. The TSL's with the grooves helped. Snow conditions change hour by hour and week by week so comparing tires is really hard, this weekend has been the best pack so far this year. Next week I may go to Heartless Pass or Airport? Hope to see the upgraded Toyota soon.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 830074
im working on a buddies diesel this week. might run down to prarie city saturday to shake it down before i take it deep in the woods. the who;e truck is new pretty much so im sure there is going to be issues. i sent pitbull an email today asking if they could use the 44 molds but make a radial instead of bias. if i can get them to make a set that will be my next tire. i have a buddy with those tsls on a 4runner he put 3 grooves in each center tread block before they really started workin. hard to cut up a new tire but for snow its a must the more the tread can flex the less chance it will dig
Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 830074
no not really lol. dont see how concrete to snow is gonna change the length of the tire.but im no scientist
Old 03-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Quote:
no not really lol. dont see how concrete to snow is gonna change the length of the tire.but im no scientist
Me neither. The rear of my rig is pretty light also.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
You sink in the snow where the conrete is solid and doesn’t conform to tire.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 830074
so a track in the snow is different from a track on concrete, as in footprint, i understand snow you sink coparison was radial and bias, radials grow due to design bias get wide. if your footprint is 29 in the concrete it will be the same on mud snow ect on the surface yes you dig the print gets bigger. snow tracks are long not as wide. hence why a radial works better the grow in length front to back more than a bias
Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 830074
interesting comparison, gonna try the same measurement with a 47 growler and a 42 mtr my bet is the mtr gets longer than the growler
Old 03-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:
interesting comparison, gonna try the same measurement with a 47 growler and a 42 mtr my bet is the mtr gets longer than the growler
I bet it does too but the growler will still outperform the mtr in the snow. Same as 44” STS compared to 39.5 radial irok
Old 03-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 830074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
I bet it does too but the growler will still outperform the mtr in the snow. Same as 44” STS compared to 39.5 radial irok
I dont think so. The mtr 42 is a very big tire i bet its close to the 44 sts as the mtr is bigger than a 43 sx side by side. In the snow were me and tim wheel at off highway 50 near kirkwood a longer tire works better than a wide tire. With the exception of sugar snow then its widest with most hp goes farther. A longer tire acts more like a track then a wider tire. Tims rig for instance. The longer radial way out performs the wider tire tsl all day everyday so that wider theory on the op rig would be false.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in