Anyone have anything about using winch rope in the snow? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Anyone have anything about using winch rope in the snow?

Wilson and I both run 8274s and were talking about whether switching to synthetic rope is a good idea or not for our use. We both feel we use our winches often, especially on snow runs.

I've heard it doesn't hold up well in mud and water, lots of people running ttc were having issues iirc.

I'm wondering about freezing, seems like it could make pulling it out a bitch.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 220897
My Warn 9.5 XP came with wire rope and was getting frayed pretty bad, slicing your hand in the snow looks like your going to bleed to death, so I bought the Warn replacement rope and love it. It's much safer, the rope is so much easier to pull out buy hand just freespool and walk. I always use a tree saver. I've never had a probablem with the rope freezing, dirt, rock damage but I do try to keep care of it.
Bottom line, it's expensive but it makes winching just a little easier, when mine wears out I will replace it with the same.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rope Dude

Member # 122622
Feel free to give me a call!
I am happy to address any questions.
Synthetic will make your adventures safer and easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Synthetic Winch Rope
We Stock - Factor 55, Excel Hooks, Tube Thimbles
We manufacture,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
in house.

Office- 785 856 1844

Check out
Custom Splice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 711425
One thing I've seen happen with synthetic is in the freeze thaw freeze scenario the synthetic winch line froze solid and was unable to unspool. Never seen wire do that but that said I still run synthetic but my winch mount is pretty hidden.
Scoobynorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobynorth View Post
One thing I've seen happen with synthetic is in the freeze thaw freeze scenario the synthetic winch line froze solid and was unable to unspool. Never seen wire do that but that said I still run synthetic but my winch mount is pretty hidden.
That's kinda what I was talking about, how hard was it to get unstuck?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 711425
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
It was a buddy in his driveway went to respool his line. If he had been stuck it would have been a pain. He didn't need it so it wasn't important. Mines hidden in my front bumper cover really well so its never been an issue and my other buddy I wheel with has a winch cover so his is always good. We have lots of kids around so the synthetic being a lot safer to handle and work with is worth it. But I'd cover synthetic in winter time just for that reason though.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 135279
Quote:
I have had to winch rope off the winch before because it was so frozen. Only seen it happen once, but I switched back to cable.
shrek tits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019Y...rrL&ref=plSrch

Decided to give this a chance for the price.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 104383
I wonder if treating it with something that would repel water would help with it icing up? I don't think you'd want anything that would attract dirt to work down into the fibers but I wonder if a silicone spray or something like that might keep the ice from sticking to the fibers as much?
WILLD420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I'm on the fence for going to rope for this reason. I use my winch in the snow sometimes I'm in front. But I'd think a good cover would eliminate this issue. Mine sits close enough to my radiator one side would stay unthawed.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
If you are running all electric fans, maybe put a puller in front for the winter. Turn off the fan(s) inside the engine compartment and just run the puller in front for a bit before winching? Or loop some heater hose in parallel with the cab heat to under the winch, with a shutoff valve of course...
isbj60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 103154
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019Y...rrL&ref=plSrch

Decided to give this a chance for the price.
How's the rope working out for ya?

Been thinking of replacing my steel cable.
whatafkwasat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatafkwasat View Post
How's the rope working out for ya?

Been thinking of replacing my steel cable.
It's fine, I like the weight savings and being able to handle it much easier. However a big reason I went with rope was because I was sick of having the cable get stuck and not being able to unspool it by hand. The rope is just as bad or worse since if it's not wound super super tight and then you make a hard pull, it will squish in between the other wraps. Hope that makes sense.

Either way, I would do it again since my cable was about smoked.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
drr

Member # 712202
Quote:
It's fine, I like the weight savings and being able to handle it much easier. However a big reason I went with rope was because I was sick of having the cable get stuck and not being able to unspool it by hand. The rope is just as bad or worse since if it's not wound super super tight and then you make a hard pull, it will squish in between the other wraps. Hope that makes sense.

Either way, I would do it again since my cable was about smoked.
Just make sure the first 2 layers on the drum are spooled in pretty tight, the rest shouldn't birdcage on you too bad.

I second having a cover on your winch, I've never seen a synthetic line freeze solid but I suppose it's possible. A cover will also cut down on the UV exposure, which can break down the synthetic fibers after a while.
drr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by drr View Post
Just make sure the first 2 layers on the drum are spooled in pretty tight, the rest shouldn't birdcage on you too bad.

I second having a cover on your winch, I've never seen a synthetic line freeze solid but I suppose it's possible. A cover will also cut down on the UV exposure, which can break down the synthetic fibers after a while.
I spooled it tight more than once now it may have something to do with the fact that I'm running 125' of rope?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 711425
I don’t wind the synthetic rope up like a cable. I kinda make it messy,it doesn’t kink like cable so it’s ok. When I’m respooling it I kinda pull it to one side quicker than it would normally do with steel and go back and forth. Then it won’t pinch itself like you are experiencing. Guy who I bought my synthetic told me to do that. I tried even like steel and burried it in the spool of line and it was a bugger to get loose.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 95131
Quote:
I donít wind the synthetic rope up like a cable. I kinda make it messy,it doesnít kink like cable so itís ok. When Iím respooling it I kinda pull it to one side quicker than it would normally do with steel and go back and forth. Then it wonít pinch itself like you are experiencing. Guy who I bought my synthetic told me to do that. I tried even like steel and burried it in the spool of line and it was a bugger to get loose.
This works pretty well, sometimes I do this just on the bottom two wraps, then the rest I try to to somewhat as normal, but it really doesn't matter.

On my crawler, I have a short rope on the winch (~35-40'), and use extensions if I need to reach out a ways. This method is really the best as you are always on the first or second wrap, and the extensions are faster to roll up by hand and stow in a bag than reeling in all the cable on the winch. I don't usually have to winch for hundreds of feet. I usually only need a pull to get off a rock or log, or up out of the snow for five or ten feet. The length is only needed to get to a tree or rock or other rig to anchor to. The extensions are also nice, because you can use them for other people as well, if they are in a spot that needs a long reach.

I've never had a problem with winch rope in the snow, ice, or cold weather.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I donít wind the synthetic rope up like a cable. I kinda make it messy,it doesnít kink like cable so itís ok. When Iím respooling it I kinda pull it to one side quicker than it would normally do with steel and go back and forth. Then it wonít pinch itself like you are experiencing. Guy who I bought my synthetic told me to do that. I tried even like steel and burried it in the spool of line and it was a bugger to get loose.

That's a new one for me, and it makes perfect sense. I'll have to try that next time I use it.

I thought about getting an extension also. I may cut up my old cable for this reason also, although trying to roll up and deal with cable sucks. Snow runs always seem to push the limits of the winch in every way. I use mine more on damn near every snow run than all summer.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Or run an 8274 with lots of rope. It winds fast enough that it's not drudgery when respooling. I never really thought about crisscrossing the rope to keep it from digging in but my rope is sorta that way by default.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23586
Send a message via AIM to unRL
I have figured out a quick trick for when the rope gets stuck, I take my shovel handle, wrap the rope around it 3 turns about a foot from the end, and pull it up tight to the fairleed, and then this acts like a pry bar to get a lot of pull on the rope, this works 9 out of 10 times , the tenth time you break the shovel handle and realize you should have used the High lift jack handle
Carl Jantz A.S.,B.S.,M.E. & S.O.H.Ks. SUPER JP ,42 Flat Fender, 25" stretch, JANA 76's, 300M, ARBS, 5.89's, 47s, SM420, Ranger overdrive, Dual disk McCleod, PTO, 4:1, Home made bead locks, and Patented the Yukon Superjoint.
unRL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2018, 12:02 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 165420
I used it tons in the super cold, i never had it freeze up solid on me. Always winds in and free wheels out just fine.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post
Or run an 8274 with lots of rope. It winds fast enough that it's not drudgery when respooling. I never really thought about crisscrossing the rope to keep it from digging in but my rope is sorta that way by default.
I have a 8274 with 125' of 3/8" rope, from what I read it wasn't recommended to go to 150' with the 3/8s.

The first time I used it with the rope I was 10' short was using a snatch block off a tree to a guys cage who slid off a side hill into some trees while 2 other winches pulled him forward.

I still think a ~50' extension would be pretty handy.

Also, I was thinking about the freezing up problem the other day, I figured you could just reverse the fan to blow air out the front.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 09-02-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in