Ice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 183715
Ice

Hey guys, newbie truck guy here. I've always run legit snow tires on my cars and never had to install a set of chains in my life. I just bought a 74 GMC Suburban lifted on 37s. The 37s and wheels on it are junk and I want to get a good set for the winter. I will only be driving the rig when it's snow or ice out since I don't want some asshole to hit my Audi and I don't want to buy winter tires for both. I mostly will be commuting to work in hardpack snow on paved roads or icy conditions, maybe a little powder, like 3" tops. I may occasionally drive up a paved road with 6-8 inches for powder. Considering I'll be on mostly hard slick surfaces or rain what tire setup is going to be best, an all terrain or mud terrain? I feel like the AT will be best but I'm wondering about sipping and if I have it sipped will that change which style I want? I was thinking a sipped MT which will do good on ice and powder?
Delasangre4231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 711425
Nitto exograpplers are a great all round tire. Can be studded and have winter rating and come in 35 and 37” sizes. I’ve had great luck on my work trucks with them. Other tires I’d look at is truxus mt from interco. Great radial mt for ice type conditions. Soft with deep factory sipes. Stuff like the bfg at’s are popular but in the snow I prefer a bit more aggressive tire.
Scoobynorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 104383
I used to hate BFG All Terrains. Till last winter. I drove for work in Tahoe all winter. Hands down, best non-studded tire I've ever run. Totally controllable, very predictable and very sticky, even on glare ice.

If I had to run 37's I'd look real hard at the Kanati Trail Hogs. They look like a Duratrac, only softer and cheaper, with the 37 measuring around 35.5" inflated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-37x12...53.m1438.l2649
WILLD420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Studded tires
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24195
I assume that the Suburban is 4X4? I recommend Wrangler DuraTrac - Size: LT315/75R16. Aprox OD 34.6". Flotation LT and LT-metric-sized Wrangler DuraTrac tires are designed to accept optional #16 metal studs to enhance ice traction. I use this exact tire ( without studs) year round on my daily driver Jeep TJ. Great in the snow and ok on ice.

I recommend studding these tires for your situation on hard pack/ icy roads. Get 4 new 16" steel wheels and tires. Don't mix and match these tires ( use 4 of the same tire). I tried that on my Silverado 2500hd using 2 of the Duratracs and 2 "other brand" all-terrains. Was down right dangerous on the road above 35 mph.

About the sipping. I recommend the factory sipped tires. They usually have a "Z" pattern sipping for lateral and longitudinal traction. The aftermarket sipping is usually just a series of straight slices across the tire for longitudinal ( fwd/ back) traction only.

Last edited by toyrocs; 08-09-2018 at 09:15 PM.
toyrocs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in