Toyo MT-Snow performance improvement? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
Toyo MT-Snow performance improvement?

I have been a typical deep snow wheeler for a long time however I truthfully haven't been out in awhile.

I have a set of 37" Toyos that are getting older, lots of tread. Don't want to sell them, but I would like to maximize their deep snow performance for the next year or so.

I wil be using them on road some, and they are currently untouched.

Well aware that there are better tires out there, but what can be done with these for now at least? I was thinking of running them around with really low air on some dirt roads for an afternoon. Hope to break down the sidewall.

Other ideas other than sell them off and get some Iroks?

I know I am not the only guy who runs these....
ToyotaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 104383
I think the biggest problem is how hard the rubber is and how thick the sidewalls are on the shoulder of the tread. With that being said, I ran some Bias ply TSL's last year in some pretty deep stuff and as long as it had a bottom layer that you could build on, they did pretty good. The 2 guys I went out with were both running Pro-Comp M/T tires, one on 37's and the other on 40's. It was tit for tat on how they compared.

They were running regular beadlocks around 8 psi and I was running innner-air-locks at 5 psi. My tires were not broken in so there was a lot of wallowing around for the first half of the day but after they loosened up, I was hanging with anywhere they could go.

One thing that I think really helps is having a rounded shoulder on the tire. I think the square edge on a lot of tires tends to make a hard spot in the contact patch and break through where a rounded edge tire like a worn out swamper or an Irok tends to fold around a little better.

Best thing to do would be to do what you are planning. Air down low and go mob them a little. If they start to stink like hot rubber, slow down. You don't want to delaminate the liner out of them.
WILLD420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
I knew about the load range and sidewall stiffness. What I hadn't thought about was the square profile. There was a tire from the early 80's called a Grand Prix. Looked buff, should have been a wicked tire for deep snow. Absolutely the worst tire ever. Square and stiff as concrete.

I think I'll air them down and run around the neighborhood on dirt and see if I can get a better squat out of them.

Probably should sipe them as well.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 220897
The Toyos are to dam stiff to be a good snow tire, but you can sipe the hell out of them with a razor knife, may help some on the front and back of the tire, but you need to remove some rubber to get the center of the tire to crown up on the bottom to get the tire to cup and pull the tire vs flat and just slidin' on the snow. my .02
Old 11-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
what size wheel are these 37s?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
The best way to improve those is sell them. Iíve never been impressed with those in snow. Especially the 37ís in 15ís
Old 11-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 128588
multiple guys I know run them in snow. 37s on 15" wheel. they all have them on 11-14" wheels and all of them are heavily grooved. look up goatpiss85runner on Instagram, he has awesome luck with them.

run them down the street with as little amount of air as possible (just before the sidewalls starts folding over on itself) until they get nice and warm. then groove them heavily with little #2 and #4 grooves, they will work good
Old 11-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
The best way to improve those is sell them. Iíve never been impressed with those in snow. Especially the 37ís in 15ís
This ^^^^

I've had several buddies run Toyo and they are a great tire for most things but are horrible in snow. I've always wheeled circles around them and it drives them crazy. I would not ever want to run them in the snow.
ROCK HUGGER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
My tires are on a 15x10. I am moving them to my other vehicle and will likely go to a 12" wheel.

For where I am at right now, I am going to run them after I air them down and break the sidewalls down and go from there. I haven't wheeled with a group in a long time so I will just be holding myself up I guess.

I have actually have three sets of these. They really are the bomb for longevity and good wear etc. But they are not great for snow.

Fortunately, only one set is for wheeling the others are for DD rigs.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
Oh, and just for fun, how much better are a similar size Irok? Tire for tire? Are we talking twice as good or what?

I may let the moths out of my wallet and buy a set next fall.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaJeep View Post
Oh, and just for fun, how much better are a similar size Irok? Tire for tire? Are we talking twice as good or what?

Check out 38-40Ē snow tire thread in snow forum. Personally I think an irok is hard to beat in the snow for a dual purpose tire. I run mtrs and they run circles around me.

I think the hypothesis of the square lug breaking through the snow vs the rounded off lug maybe true. Most of the guys I know run a baldish set of iroks in the snow and kick ass.

There are better ďsnow tiresĒ but I run 50/50 on my truck snow and rocks and Iím thinking of going to an irok.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 220897
I have these for sale, I had them on 15x10 last winter they have maybe 200 miles on snow and maybe 50 miles on wet asphalt. 39.5x15x15 bias. They were just to much tire for a light flatfender.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
I think there is some truth to the rounded tread idea. It was pretty common knowledge back in the old days that the 40x17x15 Gumbo's were not as good as the 38x15.5x15 tires. the 40's worked, but not as good. I remember when I put those horrible 40x17 Grand Prix's on thinking I was the cats meow. What a learning experience. I ended up running some new 38's on the front and 50% 38's on the rear due to my college budget. When I dropped the air, there was no comparison. I ran a few more sets of the 38x15x15 tires with good success. Then I kinda quit wheeling as much as I live in feet of snow etc. I would like a set of the 38's. That was a good size tire and worked well in all conditions.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
I have these for sale, I had them on 15x10 last winter they have maybe 200 miles on snow and maybe 50 miles on wet asphalt. 39.5x15x15 bias. They were just to much tire for a light flatfender.
You can PM me a price if you want. Probably not the best size for me, but I'd take a look I suppose.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 220897
PM on the way, I bought a grooving tool and did a little grooving just on the center lugs as recommended on this snow forum, which helped. There is zero wear on there tires.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Quote:

the only similar size irok is bias and way shorter than the toyo. if I still had a start i'd post up some pics of guys wheeling toyos. like I said, check out goatpiss85runner on instagram
Old 11-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
I will look into that. I don't have instagram. At this point I'm going to run them and start with just pulling the cores and driving around the neighborhood at a slow pace and go from there. I have never grooved tires before but I suspect that they'd work better. I do some road driving though so that is a concern.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 140001
I run a 37 Toyon on my Willy’s and love them in the snow. Check out rcjeepers on youtube. I tow a trailer on most of my snow trips and do just fine

Last edited by 53HHwillys; 12-26-2018 at 12:13 AM.
53HHwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 122805
I ran 35" toyos on 15x10 rims and they did okay on my K5. They probably needed siping and more break in time. I switched to 36" Iroks which was a world of difference in snow and even in Moab on the same 15x10 rims. overall I was happier with the Iroks but I have seen a few Toyota sized rigs do alot better on the Toyos than I did.
mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTblazer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 861584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
This may be a little harsh, but I basically agree. Not a great snow tire at all.
Quote:
I have been a typical deep snow wheeler for a long time however I truthfully haven't been out in awhile.

I have a set of 37" Toyos that are getting older, lots of tread. Don't want to sell them, but I would like to maximize their deep snow performance for the next year or so.

I wil be using them on road some, and they are currently untouched.

Well aware that there are better tires out there, but what can be done with these for now at least? I was thinking of running them around with really low air on some dirt roads for an afternoon. Hope to break down the sidewall.

Other ideas other than sell them off and get some Iroks?

I know I am not the only guy who runs these....
HighbrowHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 94308
I did this with the worn ones on my 3/4 ton daily driver. Made a world of difference for hard pack snow and mildly icey conditions. Probably not so much for deep loose snow, but it was better then before regardless.

wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306
Quote:
I am going to run them after I air them down and break the sidewalls down and go from there.

Good luck with that, are those E or D rated ?

E rated Toyo sidewalls don't really break down, the casings are crazy thick, you could remove the valve core on a yota or something light and drive all day and I doubt it would hurt them, just groove them like that last dude did, or have them siped if they are worn down AND groove em, or get IROKs or chains !

But since this was 4 moths ago, you probably have already chartered a course, maybe report back with your findings ?
Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1056
We have been getting hammered with snow at my house. I had to use my 4x4 rig to pull out my DD truck. I haven't had a chance to air them out yet as I have been doing other stuff.

I will probably do the airing out by the weekend hopefully.

I agree that they are hard as rocks. I really like them on road, and they are fine for powering around in a foot etc. But I don't think they are great snow crawler tires.

The tires are getting old now, so now is the time to groove them.

I will attempt to be a little more timely in my update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in