47" ltbs for snow - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God
 
snowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 141697
Location: Great White North aka BC Canada
Posts: 2,115
47" ltbs for snow

just got a set of 47 ltbs and plan on running them for snow wheeling only. i know the ltbs are big heavy stiff tires and not the best for snow but i won them so have very little money into the set. looking for ideas on best way to groove them up to make them work better.

flame suit on
__________________
PLAN-B F250 on 44s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snowracer; 08-14-2019 at 11:51 AM.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
86chevyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 128588
Location: WA
Posts: 1,785
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
just got a set of 47 ltbs and plan on running them for snow wheeling only. i know the ltbs are big heavy stiff tires and not the best for snow but i won them so have very little money into the set. looking for ideas on best way to groove them up to make them work better.

flame suit on
those tires are garbage in the snow, expect to dig to china. they are so stiff they wont flatten out under anything sub 5000lbs.

sell them and use the money to purchase different snow tires
__________________
I like to snow wheel
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God
 
snowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 141697
Location: Great White North aka BC Canada
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
those tires are garbage in the snow, expect to dig to china. they are so stiff they wont flatten out under anything sub 5000lbs.

sell them and use the money to purchase different snow tires
my rig is closer to the 6000 pound mark, and they will be better then the cut 44 boggers ive been running.

got them so going to try and make them work
__________________
PLAN-B F250 on 44s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God
 
snowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 141697
Location: Great White North aka BC Canada
Posts: 2,115
found a few pics of grooved ltbs



and this one looks like might be better for snow

__________________
PLAN-B F250 on 44s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,476
You need some full depth cuts to help them flex, then some smaller grooves or sipes for traction.

Then you really need to break them in, run 0 psi and drive the shit out of them. Definitely will need some beadlocks.

I've heard some people say they work well on heavy rigs, so you'll probably be good. Plus you aren't trying to float on 6' of fresh powder like in norcal and the pnw.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God
 
snowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 141697
Location: Great White North aka BC Canada
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
You need some full depth cuts to help them flex, then some smaller grooves or sipes for traction.

Then you really need to break them in, run 0 psi and drive the shit out of them. Definitely will need some beadlocks.

I've heard some people say they work well on heavy rigs, so you'll probably be good. Plus you aren't trying to float on 6' of fresh powder like in norcal and the pnw.
waiting to hear back on the cost of doing inner air locks on them as they are 16.5 so might be a better option when running 1-3 psi in the snow. otherwise will be round stock welded on for inner bead and weld on for the outer bead like my boggers. normally the snow we play in is not light fluffy powder and no deeper then waist deep
__________________
PLAN-B F250 on 44s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
waiting to hear back on the cost of doing inner air locks on them as they are 16.5 so might be a better option when running 1-3 psi in the snow. otherwise will be round stock welded on for inner bead and weld on for the outer bead like my boggers. normally the snow we play in is not light fluffy powder and no deeper then waist deep
fuck inner tube bead locks, they are a huge pita to mount, and like to spin on the wheel and rip the stems off at low pressure.

Hummer beadlocks cheap, light (once you get rid of the run flat and don't use 1/2" thick centers) and double beadlocked. Just get the old 8 bolt version and don't worry about rock rings if they're only for snow.

Our snow is usually heavy powder (like the stuff that sticks easily into a snow ball) since it's usually not that cold when it snows here (low 30s to high 20s) in which you usually need big flexible balloon tires to float on top as much as possible.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 08-15-2019 at 04:27 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
86chevyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 128588
Location: WA
Posts: 1,785
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
like jeff said, definitely by cheap hummer beadlocks and use PVC inserts.

i still stick by my first comment lol. there's a reason none of the Kelowna, BC guys run LTB's.

with that said, cut out the wear bars, make sure your cuts are FULL TREAD deep, and sipe the crap out of them. look up how carl jantz cut his, they worked OK for what they were
__________________
I like to snow wheel
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God
 
snowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 141697
Location: Great White North aka BC Canada
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
fuck inner tube bead locks, they are a huge pita to mount, and like to spin on the wheel and rip the stems off at low pressure.

Hummer beadlocks cheap, light (once you get rid of the run flat and don't use 1/2" thick centers) and double beadlocked. Just get the old 8 bolt version and don't worry about rock rings if they're only for snow.

Our snow is usually heavy powder (like the stuff that sticks easily into a snow ball) since it's usually not that cold when it snows here (low 30s to high 20s) in which you usually need big flexible balloon tires to float on top as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
like jeff said, definitely by cheap hummer beadlocks and use PVC inserts.

i still stick by my first comment lol. there's a reason none of the Kelowna, BC guys run LTB's.

with that said, cut out the wear bars, make sure your cuts are FULL TREAD deep, and sipe the crap out of them. look up how carl jantz cut his, they worked OK for what they were
its a little harder to find used military stuff around my parts, can find 20" wheels and all the big stuff pretty easy as there is a market for it around here but not the older 16.5 stuff. would like to do this on the cheap and use what i have so that way if i hate the set up im not out money when i sell them or trade ect. if i was buying new id be looking at a set of 44tsl and cut them up as would work better and know they will fit on my truck no issue.
__________________
PLAN-B F250 on 44s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
its a little harder to find used military stuff around my parts, can find 20" wheels and all the big stuff pretty easy as there is a market for it around here but not the older 16.5 stuff. would like to do this on the cheap and use what i have so that way if i hate the set up im not out money when i sell them or trade ect. if i was buying new id be looking at a set of 44tsl and cut them up as would work better and know they will fit on my truck no issue.
Fwiw, they are still using 16.5 double beadlocks, so not all of them are "older"

I know people have had decent luck with weld on beadlocks and stauns, but that's a lot of money for what it is.

I still say hummer wheels, if the tires suck. Off the tires and keep the wheels.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.