Low snow wheeling and ice bench build; tires and lockers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Snow Wheelin'
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Low snow wheeling and ice bench build; tires and lockers

Newbie question alert... and on a Thursday(at least it starts with T like Tuesday)
Short: 18" 'trail' snow, plowed road with ice conditions.
Do I want skinny, fat, or usual for ~35" tire?
I can do one selectable locker and one lunchbox. Which end for which?

Long: I've got most of my build sheet out of the way for a rig that will be used as a 'home' plow truck and winter truck:
  • FJ55 with a lot of missing sheetmetal/body at ~110" wheelbase.
  • Low to no lift and ~35" tires
  • Dana 60 front/rear (kingpin front, Ford e350 van rear) going with 3.54 gears
  • 472 Cady big block
  • SM465 tranny
  • Stock late model Land cruiser tcase(split case)

My driveway is unimproved hard packed dirt. In the winter, we usually get ~18" per storm. Road in front of the house and into town is plowed(Georgetown, CA) The road is curvy and inclined.

I may expand to 'real' deep snow wheeling in a year when/if I find a good group for it.

TIRES:
Wheel will be a single beadlock of unknown type/brand.

For 'busting' and plowing 18" out of the driveway, am I better getting a skinny tire like a 35x10 TSL or 'extra wide' like a 35x16 Bogger? Or just go with a standard 35x12.5?

I'm not stuck on any particular brand/tread of a tire. Is there a preferred brand/tread?

LOCKERS:
I will be able to do one selectable locker(leaning toward Ox) and one lunchbox locker(Spartan). lunchbox is to go from 32 spline side gears to 35 spline. Selectable locker is to replace 'missing' carrier.

With the above mentioned drive conditions, Ox in front or rear?

Is there a better choice than a Spartan for lunchbox locker?

Attached picture is to show a sad FJ55 after one of the ~18" snow dumps. Another FJ55 is getting butchered and I'm hoping it will be 4-5" shorter.
Attached Images

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 305417
Buy some chains if you're just plowing. Get good ones too, like Lecleed.
bhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 30673
For plowing, tall and skinny. Get good chains, not mud chains, the ice ones. Almost sounds like you need a snowblower.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Neither tsl or bogger is good for either.

Plowing snow and wheelin in snow are completely opposite, so you'd really need 2 sets of tires.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Jesus we plow more with rotted out stock 1/2s up here. Chain it up and peel out
Old 08-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigbee View Post
Buy some chains if you're just plowing. Get good ones too, like Lecleed.
Thank you for a brand recommendation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR800 View Post
For plowing, tall and skinny. Get good chains, not mud chains, the ice ones. Almost sounds like you need a snowblower.
In your opinion, narrower than a typical 35"x12.5"?

I'll have to look into ice chains vs mud.

From the reading I've done on snow blowers, I'd have to look at the higher side of hundreds($700+). I'm getting a borderline free plow... yeah, I know that free is going to turn into very expensive but I'm not that bright
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Neither tsl or bogger is good for either.

Plowing snow and wheelin in snow are completely opposite, so you'd really need 2 sets of tires.
I was just using TSL and Bogger as examples of extremely narrow vs extremely wide. Do you have a better recommendation?

Thank you for pointing out that plow is much different that snow wheel. I wasn't sure if there was some overlap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
The green rig isn't the one being used to plow.

It sounds like 'style' of tire doesn't make a damn difference... just find quality ice chains for whatever tire I have.

Any opinion on locker placement?

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
Old 08-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 30673
Can be pretty easy to break axles with lockers and chains. With the plow and that caddy motor over the front, that will be a fair amount of weight. Put a piece of scrap plate in the rear, or throw anything heavy in there. Any soft tire with lots of siping will work well in the snow. I run Duratracs or BFG Commercial traction T/A. Not sure you really need a locker, unless your plowing route is really steep...
Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR800 View Post
Can be pretty easy to break axles with lockers and chains. With the plow and that caddy motor over the front, that will be a fair amount of weight. Put a piece of scrap plate in the rear, or throw anything heavy in there. Any soft tire with lots of siping will work well in the snow. I run Duratracs or BFG Commercial traction T/A. Not sure you really need a locker, unless your plowing route is really steep...
On the Cady engine, oddly enough it is lighter than the stock I6 it is replacing... about 750lbs to 640lbs My guestimate on the plow is about 200lbs.

Thank you for the input. The main place I will be plowing is ~12-13 degree slope for about 150'. The biggest issue with that section is it slopes into the hill and a 'small' ditch.

My little 4wd s10 with street 27" tires was doing relatively well 'busting' an 18" drift... up until a CV popped out off the snap ring and left me in 2wd. Then it was still doing okay until it slid into the ditch

With luck, I'll have that section concreted or improved with the ditch filled in before winter.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
I was just using TSL and Bogger as examples of extremely narrow vs extremely wide. Do you have a better recommendation?

Thank you for pointing out that plow is much different that snow wheel. I wasn't sure if there was some overlap.
Any Radial my or at will do better than a bias super swamper in snow and ice.

Snow wheelin you are usually trying to float on top, so bigger contact patch is better. Plowing, you are trying to get grip on a hard slick surface, so the smaller contact patch is better.

How often will you be going from "wheelin" mode to "Plowing" mode? Would it be easier to get a set of stockers with chains on when you put the plow on?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Any Radial my or at will do better than a bias super swamper in snow and ice.

Snow wheelin you are usually trying to float on top, so bigger contact patch is better. Plowing, you are trying to get grip on a hard slick surface, so the smaller contact patch is better.

How often will you be going from "wheelin" mode to "Plowing" mode? Would it be easier to get a set of stockers with chains on when you put the plow on?
^^^this

As far as lockers I like selectable in the rear more in the snow than the front. I have Arbís and Iíll run the front in rear out. So it pulls vs pushes and lock in rear when I get stuck. If that makes sense.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
^^^this

As far as lockers I like selectable in the rear more in the snow than the front. I have Arbís and Iíll run the front in rear out. So it pulls vs pushes and lock in rear when I get stuck. If that makes sense.
I forgot to mention this also.

Personally I like an auto locker front, selectable rear. Keeps things simple and a good auto will unlock when you need it too.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
^^^this

and ^^^ this

I have a Detroit in the rear of my plow rig. Sumbitch has got me stuck sideways plenty.

As for tires, going from a 38/13 TSL to a 9.50-16 traction was a nice improvement (2-3 inches narrower).

Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
5/4 ton muh fuggah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in