is there any place similar to tellico? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 56231
If you want that I don't know if i'll make it home tonight feeling, then try Atomic ridge at coal creek. It's not the longest trail i've ever riding but if you manage to complete it in one piece its at least a 45 minute ride back to camp. I had that feeling you are talking about over 4th of july when me and brother decided it would be a good idea to do an extreme trail on our razors not knowing what was ahead of us lol. Coal creek and Black mountain are both large parks and I would not want to be broken down on the other side of either one.

Last edited by jodyfj40; 10-08-2012 at 01:49 PM.
jodyfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachholland View Post
You need to wheel Slade, KY. Nothing marked and good to go with someone who knows the area otherwise you will never find the good stuff (or your way out). It's not go a Lion's Den, but stuff like Hairpin, Lower and Upper Staircase, Devil's Brew, Carb Hill and some others will give you a run for your money. The exact thing you mentioned is what I like about Slade versus Harlan and Windrock.

Unfortunately, Slade is under attack just like Tellico.

So, some enterprising PBBer needs to make some T-chirts with a map of the trails printed on it upside down. so you can just look down and see it.
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 40567
Send a message via AIM to 1TONZR2
Cant wait for Nov to get here. Joe, I promise you wont be disappointed...... I have never been to Tellico, but been to Harlan 4-5 times now and every time we try something new. I wish I could find a good trail map online.

Get your rig ready..make sure you pack your balls too.

Brian

oh ya....we have done Atomic Ridge as well. that didnt turn out well, started it after lunch....got back to the hotel around 1am....2 rigs still on the mountain. barely enough cell service to call mountain rescue. LOL great weekend!
96 ZR2 HP60,14B, 5.13s,locked ,F/R tri'ed 4 link,16" SAW COs and 4" SAW bumps front, 16" ORIs rear,RCI fuel cell, Truggied out, 42" PitBull Rockers & TR beadlocks, 5.3L Vortec w/LS6 cam/springs, 231/205 doubler, 1410s, 9.5ti

Over the Top Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 1TONZR2; 10-12-2012 at 06:44 PM.
1TONZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyfj40 View Post
If you want that I don't know if i'll make it home tonight feeling, then try Atomic ridge at coal creek. It's not the longest trail i've ever riding but if you manage to complete it in one piece its at least a 45 minute ride back to camp. I had that feeling you are talking about over 4th of july when me and brother decided it would be a good idea to do an extreme trail on our razors not knowing what was ahead of us lol. Coal creek and Black mountain are both large parks and I would not want to be broken down on the other side of either one.
somebody said the other side of the trail is instant death now. can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 176473
I've been going to Windrock and Harlen for years, there both great. Atomic hill has been extreme buggies only for a few years. There is another place between them called Euclid Offroad that has as or more extreme obstacles than both. The plus is that is privately owned and all trails are within a mile. If you break your rig in two its not that bad to get it loaded since they have a large tractor to help. Check out there web site. The closest to Tellico is Greyrock in Al. hands down. Its right above Birmingham. You can't beat it if you can get invited. Not all of it is as nice as Tellico but some of it is better. I still miss Tellico. Hope you guys had fun up here.
HDandJeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 22183
Send a message via AIM to biggin
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
somebody said the other side of the trail is instant death now. can anyone confirm this?
It is pretty bad. I done it last summer by myself going in on the side farthest away from hwy 116 and coming out right at hwy116. Its straight up and down on the back side. I broke an axle on the way up and had to winch once but other than that I made it pretty easily. Your rig better be in tip top shape 110% to even think about atomic ridge.
biggin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDandJeepman View Post
The closest to Tellico is Greyrock in Al. hands down. Its right above Birmingham. You can't beat it if you can get invited. Not all of it is as nice as Tellico but some of it is better.
The places are completely different in spirit as well as logistically, thus they are not truly comparable. At Gray Rock the trailer is always near; at Tellico the trailer was at least a few miles away.
craigellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDandJeepman View Post
I've been going to Windrock and Harlen for years, there both great. Atomic hill has been extreme buggies only for a few years. There is another place between them called Euclid Offroad that has as or more extreme obstacles than both. The plus is that is privately owned and all trails are within a mile. If you break your rig in two its not that bad to get it loaded since they have a large tractor to help. Check out there web site. The closest to Tellico is Greyrock in Al. hands down. Its right above Birmingham. You can't beat it if you can get invited. Not all of it is as nice as Tellico but some of it is better. I still miss Tellico. Hope you guys had fun up here.

I can't find any info on Euclid????
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
I never had chance to run tellico, and Harlan is on the bucket list but I hit gore va a few times a year. You have to go during an event since it is not open 365 to jeeps but is a great park with tough trails, great views, and a few trails are miles from the trailer. Can anyone compare tellico and Harlan to gore? Gore events are put on by big dog off road.
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 40060
Send a message via Yahoo to ComChewy Send a message via Skype™ to ComChewy

Hey Big, y’all know we have some real good Swamp Krawl-n in Central Florida, u know up-n-down all those sand hills with tea water in between them, if you want to wheel for hours go to Grand County Utah / aka Moab……….
Harlan County reminds me of Murphy and the Beaver Dam Area / aka Tellico back in the early to mid seventies when it was still the frontier of wheel-n, give it a few more years for it too become well worn with several decades of traffic, and the amenities have not caught up yet……..

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]Go as slow as possible, and as quickly as necessitated…………[/COLOR][/FONT]
ComChewy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 05:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Send a message via ICQ to Shoope1 Send a message via AIM to Shoope1 Send a message via Yahoo to Shoope1
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachholland View Post
You need to wheel Slade, KY. Nothing marked and good to go with someone who knows the area otherwise you will never find the good stuff (or your way out). It's not go a Lion's Den, but stuff like Hairpin, Lower and Upper Staircase, Devil's Brew, Carb Hill and some others will give you a run for your money. The exact thing you mentioned is what I like about Slade versus Harlan and Windrock.

Unfortunately, Slade is under attack just like Tellico.
I have wheeled Tellico several times. I am one of the local gurus of Harlan. Their will never be anything like Tellico.
The closest thing in mind to compare to is slade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shoope1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in