Possible park very close to the old Tellico - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 111711
Possible park very close to the old Tellico

Durhamtown Plantation has a post on their facebook showing they are looking at buying the land that is now "snowbird ohv". Looks like it could be very promising from the pics they posted.
jeepyj027 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 159498
Possible park very close to the old Tellico

They will have to expand exponentially, because they had an open house 2 years ago when they were looking for new members and they only had 52 acres of riding area, with 3 obstacles.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 43168
I got this in an email today..

Quote:
Official Press Release for Durhamtown Tellico

1265986_10200809835592220_1077650769_o
On October 25th, 26th and 27th there will be a limited Inaugural ride at the new Durhamtown Tellico Park located in Murphy NC which is approximately 2 hours north of Atlanta.

About the Park
Durhamtown has partnered with landowners whose property adjoins the Original Tellico ORV and includes some of the private trails that were above the original ORV Park known as upper Tellico.

The facility will be managed, organized, and will not be a free for all riding park like the original ORV Park was operated. The disorganization resulted in the Park being closed by government officials due to damage of the natural ecosystems. All riders must stay on designated trails and these rules will be strictly enforced. Currently, there are approximated 4000 acres of mountainous trails and rock climbing.

Many trails will be 2-way, used with caution, and not a high speed facility! The areas consist of over 40 miles of existing trails. More are being added as the leaves fall to expose many old logging trails with many challenges. There are waterfalls and many mountain tops with 270 degree panoramic views. We have a 50 acre area that was clear cut 4 years ago with access to some very large and promising challenges including many large rock faces. The locals have called it:
“School Bus’s Granddaddy” For those of you that don’t know; School Bus is famously known Rock Crawl.

This area has many boulders ready to climb and more will be cleared when the leaves fall and we can see them more clearly. There is a 13 mile trail that travels along the ridge tops that begin on the main tract and end at Tellico’s old trail # 4. This trail is one of the most exciting trails I have ridden in a Side by Side.

This property consists of some of the most spectacular scenery in the Southeast and has been managed for 15 years as a trophy trout destination. We will continue to maintain the standards as planned. There are 5 trout ponds and 4 miles of managed streams; with one stream designated as a catch and release only for 18”-26” Rainbow Trout.

Camping is permitted in designated areas along the streams at no charge for the Inaugural Ride Weekend. Camping is Primitive with: No power, fresh water in the streams and a port a potty will be onsite for Campers.

We will be enhancing the camping sites over the next few months and fees will be charged for Camping at that time.

The closest lodging is in Murphy at Motels but those needing reservations should call immediately due to prime leaf turning season in the area.
The Inaugural Ride Info and Reservation

The inaugural Ride:
For this event we are limited and all of those that interested in participating will need to contact Mike directly.
Reservations Contact:
Mike McCommons
The best way is by emailing Mike with “Tellico” as the subject line to: [email protected] or you may call him at the office 706-486-4603 or 706-486-4664

For the 1st ride, only a small group of riders will be permitted, to show the land owner we can ride respectfully on his land and continue to enjoy it by not throwing trash on his property and staying on designated trails. We are looking forward to many years of developing one of the best off road destinations on the east coast.

Cost for this 3 day ride is: Paid by Credit Card in Advance (1st Come, 1st Serve)
$50 per registered Rider
$10 for any passenger or guest

Once registered, you will get a confirmation, info, and directions etc. We will provide maps on site at our designated meeting point.
Looking forward to seeing you there!

Mike McCommons
Durhamtown

Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39942
Ride

E mailed mike, I would love to be a part of this.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
According to facebook people are already giving Mike shit about it. I'm not going to be able to go on this next run but there's a fee to pay. Some people are pitching a bitch about it. There's no such thing as a free lunch

I think if people go and have a good time and they think it's worth it they'll come back. If not, then less people will ride and it will fizzle. I hope it's good but in reality it's not going to be the same. It shares some trails but not Guardrail, Helicopter Pad, Schoolbus or Lower 2 so people have to get that notion out of their heads. Accept it for what it is and have a good time. Once I get mine back up and going I'm planning on trying it out.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36943
Send a message via AIM to Skerb
does anyone know if there are more trails open than there were 2 years ago for the open ride.
Skerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerb View Post
does anyone know if there are more trails open than there were 2 years ago for the open ride.
according to his release, there are over 40 miles of trails and more opening soon.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 83791
Depending on how you count trails (condition, bike vs atv vs truck wide, etc) there are easily 40 miles of trails, probably more.

There are far far more than 52 acres - more like 4,000 IIRC. "The Bowl" which is the hardcore area is small, maybe 50 ish acres, but the entire area is huge.

Most current trails are easy, with some moderate scattered but not much, and the hardcore "Bowl" area.

Yes - there are more trails but getting some more tires on the current trails will "improve" them to more people's liking.

FYI I was a member at Snowbird last year so I know the area pretty darn well. I'm not currently a member b/c I don't have the time to make the membership fee worth while. I was considering rejoining but want to see what settles out with the Durhamtown proposal for making the area more open to the public on a daily basis.
Eventhough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78329
Photos?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 36943
There were photos of past rides posted in other threads, are you looking for photos from this past october or just photos of this place in general?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 78329
Looking for jeep trail pics rocks etc.

Went to tellico multiple times before it closed
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 198196
Can anyone shine some light on this place? I've been out of the wheeling scene for a while (couldn't afford a rig) and I'm looking for places to ride. I live in northern Georgia and have hit most every legal spot I can find info on....
mikemalone0406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2497
https://www.facebook.com/durhamtowntellico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you didnt buy your 1'st gen 4runner new, then [B][I]YOU[/I][/B] are a newbie![/SIZE]
Alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
Also have new website:
Durhamtown Tellico

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 117547
With those prices they sure are proud of there land. Even charging a fee for passengers??? Doesn't look like that many trails for those prices.
N6FZY
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZ View Post
With those prices they sure are proud of there land. Even charging a fee for passengers??? Doesn't look like that many trails for those prices.
ummm, insurance costs money, and passengers need insurance too.

They don't seem out of line. I've paid that to wheel in an abandoned rock quarry.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
ummm, insurance costs money, and passengers need insurance too.

They don't seem out of line. I've paid that to wheel in an abandoned rock quarry.
Yep. That's less than Rausch Creek gets for a day too, and there's no shortage of people lining up to go there...

It would be nice to get back down to Murphy sometime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
Yep. That's less than Rausch Creek gets for a day too, and there's no shortage of people lining up to go there...

It would be nice to get back down to Murphy sometime.
yeah, well I guess those from the west coast don't quite comprehend that there's no such thing as BLM land in the east. We can't all be so lucky as to have thousands of acres to wheel for free.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 82668
I am happy to pay that much to ride!!!

Any one been out there? Is it worth the 4 hour drive? Is there much hard stuff or is it easy trail riding?

I sure would love to get back to that area.
tall boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 38626
I plan on hitting it with the dirt bike as a recon mission before hauling the truck up. Dealt with the umm, staff, before, and I'll just say I'll judge the place for myself before buying into the sales pitch. From what I understand, he's not buying, just partnering with owner. Makes it real easy to walk away when things don't go your way. And don't kid yourself. It's all about the money. The second it's not lucrative enough, he'll be out. Enough for now. I'll report what I see when I go.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 463394
Durahmtowntellico

So,all you guys are talking about going,have you all been yet?Ive been going every other weekend and having a ball just playing in the bowl with my crawler(42" iroks,hydro assist,dual t-case)very capable machine!The same climb I climb one week I cant sometimes climb the next,if that gives you some idea of the challenges.A lot of work has been done in the bowl area so come try it out.We will be there next wknd,(May 24th).Lets ride!!!
mauney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 463394
DURAHMTOWNTELLICO

This is crazy to me,no one is jumping at the chance to ride the same terrain as the old original Tellico had to offer.I don't benefit from posting at all,i just don't want this to get gone before it really starts.Can we all get together,and try to support durahmtowntellico for what it is and what it will be.NOTE:TELLICO WAS ONLY LOGGING ACCESS ROADS THAT TURNED TO TRAILS)))
mauney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 38626
Your name's not Mike is it?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 36943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauney View Post
This is crazy to me,no one is jumping at the chance to ride the same terrain as the old original Tellico had to offer.I don't benefit from posting at all,i just don't want this to get gone before it really starts.Can we all get together,and try to support durahmtowntellico for what it is and what it will be.NOTE:TELLICO WAS ONLY LOGGING ACCESS ROADS THAT TURNED TO TRAILS)))
tellico was also $5 per vehicle per day for the first 20 years it was open when it was old logging roads.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 38626
Mauney is probably pronounced "money". Anyone that states they don't benefit from posting is probably somehow going to benefit. Welcome, Mike.

Last edited by aaron o.; 05-22-2014 at 06:08 AM.
aaron o. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in