Tellico Closure Order is Official - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Southeast Regional Land Use
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 92338
Tellico Closure Order is Official

Today the USFS came out with their Closure Orders.

The Summary is:

1. A one-year closure of Lower Trail 2 (from the intersection with Road 420 west to Road 402), Trail 7, a portion of Trail 8 (from the intersection with Trail 9 to the intersection with Trail 10A), and Trail 9 in the Upper Tellico OHV area which prohibits operating motor vehicles on these trails during the closure period and sets penalties for violating the provisions of this Order.

2. A seasonal closure of the Upper Tellico OHV Area which prohibits operating motor vehicles on trails within the Area during the period between January 1 and March 31 each year and sets penalties for violating the provisions of this Order.

SFWDA in cooperation with UFWDA and BlueRibbon is evaluating these orders and will be responding accordingly.

Go to this thread for the whole document text: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604044
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Send a message via AIM to McCracken
that's f'ing fantastic. I have got to get my truck running this weekend and ride before it closes on the 1st.

What really bums me out is that when no one rides those trails then the sediment load will decrease and thus prove their point like they've tried to preach for the entirety of this. I hate to be the wet blanket but unless everyone continues to go to Tellico and ride after the 31st of March then I foresee the whole joint getting closed. I can't believe that the USFS would make a decision like this after all the years of hard work that's been put in to help the area.

What's the response going to be from UFWDA and SFWDA? Will it take over a month like it did before?

edit: From the SFWDA website:

...Public involvement began on September 17, 2007 when a letter was mailed and emailed to groups and individuals known to be interested in management of the Upper Tellico OHV Area. The “scoping letter” requested comments on the proposed Forest Supervisor’s Orders. As a result, approximately 200 responses from individuals, groups, organizations and other government agencies were delivered to us by mail, emailed, phoned in or by personal visit to the District office. These responses conveyed numerous issues, and are summarized in the Response to Public Comments, in the project file.
Additionally, approximately 700 form letters were received by email from those people who supported any and all closures of the trail system. And approximately 400 form letters were received from people who favored trail repairs and reroutes, but not trail closures.
In the 30 day scoping period that began on September 17 newspaper articles were published in the Asheville Citizen-Times, The Cherokee Scout, and the Clay County Progress...

You mean to tell me all they got from us was 400 letters and those dipshit fishheads produced almost twice as much? that is embarassing and I hope I'm wrong. As many people that visit this site each day and did not write should be ashamed. United we stand, divided we load our shit up and go wheel a private park for $75 a day 5 hours away. Awesome.

Last edited by McCracken; 12-18-2007 at 04:24 PM.
McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 81214
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken View Post
What really bums me out is that when no one rides those trails then the sediment load will decrease and thus prove their point like they've tried to preach for the entirety of this.
BUT if the sediment load is from natural conditions what better way to prove our point.
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30164
Quote:
that's f'ing fantastic. I have got to get my truck running this weekend and ride before it closes on the 1st.

What really bums me out is that when no one rides those trails then the sediment load will decrease and thus prove their point like they've tried to preach for the entirety of this. I hate to be the wet blanket but unless everyone continues to go to Tellico and ride after the 31st of March then I foresee the whole joint getting closed. I can't believe that the USFS would make a decision like this after all the years of hard work that's been put in to help the area.

What's the response going to be from UFWDA and SFWDA? Will it take over a month like it did before?

edit: From the SFWDA website:

...Public involvement began on September 17, 2007 when a letter was mailed and emailed to groups and individuals known to be interested in management of the Upper Tellico OHV Area. The “scoping letter” requested comments on the proposed Forest Supervisor’s Orders. As a result, approximately 200 responses from individuals, groups, organizations and other government agencies were delivered to us by mail, emailed, phoned in or by personal visit to the District office. These responses conveyed numerous issues, and are summarized in the Response to Public Comments, in the project file.
Additionally, approximately 700 form letters were received by email from those people who supported any and all closures of the trail system. And approximately 400 form letters were received from people who favored trail repairs and reroutes, but not trail closures.
In the 30 day scoping period that began on September 17 newspaper articles were published in the Asheville Citizen-Times, The Cherokee Scout, and the Clay County Progress...

You mean to tell me all they got from us was 400 letters and those dipshit fishheads produced almost twice as much? that is embarassing and I hope I'm wrong. As many people that visit this site each day and did not write should be ashamed. United we stand, divided we load our shit up and go wheel a private park for $75 a day 5 hours away. Awesome.

100% correct, it is fucking sad we couldnt produce more than 400 emails, when we have a thread in this forum with over 6000 views concerning tellico closures.

This will NEVER be a good outcome for us, it will only snowball from here, they got what they wanted to start with, they have their foot in the door, and from what I have read on other closures that is how it always starts out.

I say we all should go buy a TN/NC trout stamp and fish the fuck out of Tellico and anyone you see fishing you should say, Yeah I used to use the OHV to wheel but since they closed that down we figured we loved this area so much we would take up fishing, it will be so fucking overcrowded, trashy, and I have never seen a fucking fly fisherman doing a tellico clean up anywhere along those streams.

Sorry for the rant, guess more I type the more it starts bothering me.

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIZE][/CENTER]
BadAssXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 50718
Someone post up the email address where we are supposed to send our objections. I signed the online petition and Im willing to do whatever nessecary to keep them from closing it completely, as im sure most PBBer's would be if the info on how to go about it was a little easier to find.
trailworthyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6647
How public are the studies that are being conducted? How objective (fair) are the sampling criteria? I guess what I mean is, are we getting rail-roaded here by people shaping the testing to get the results they want? Take for instance the silt content of the river after a prolonged hard rain on a busy weekend, is that being compared to a similar rain event during the closure? Are samples being taken over several days and averaged, is rainfall over the testing interval being taken into account? Or is it as bad as comparing the silt content of the river during dixie run after a rain to that of any day they please, say after a period of no activity and no rainfall and calling the two equal? Has anyone from "our side" considered an independent study?
Wes in TN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 47727
I still can't believe they only received 400 letters from us. I wrote one and between here and my local board alone we should have surpassed those numbers! I will still continue to ride up there as long as its available, but that may not be much longer if this continues. So did SELC drop the lawsuit becuase of these changes?
grn97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 47337
i sent a letter for every member of my family...BUT in those letters i did put that i was ok with seasonal closures, as long as no trails are permanately closed.. i wonder if b/c i put that, if my letters got lumped into the 700 that were favoring closures
Fl-Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 66647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-Krawler View Post
i sent a letter for every member of my family...BUT in those letters i did put that i was ok with seasonal closures, as long as no trails are permanately closed.. i wonder if b/c i put that, if my letters got lumped into the 700 that were favoring closures
I agree. Those numbers sound like bullshit. I'd like to know they categorized them. That and I always wondered if they actually counted the letters that where done with some online template for those that couldn't write a simple letter. Wonder if a spam filter would nab those.

Last edited by KiGrind; 12-19-2007 at 09:13 AM.
KiGrind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 88551
too little.... too late....

the hand started writing on the wall long ago.... now it's about finished.
cdazzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 99924
Don't be naive. The USFS knew what they were going to have to do and actions were more than likely in place before you all were even asked to write letters. It doesn't matter if they received 10,972,045 letters, it would still result in the same action.
GATRTRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Just FYI, I spoke with a woman at the ranger district and she says this is IMMEDIATE. They are now in the process of blocking these trails. If you had planned to run Tellico this weekend, it may be too late. I also heard from a source that they saw the guardrails already up there on the sides of the trails so that kind of confirms the immediate action. This is a sad day for us and the numbers may be bullshit but the decision has been made.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 21215
Looks like Morris Mountain this weekend and for a long time to come (badass park btw). I'll take my money and spend it elsewhere. At least I know it'll be put to good use.
redneckengineered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 81214
hgtd

Last edited by Never Monday; 12-20-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Never Monday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
I also heard from a source that they saw the guardrails already up there on the sides of the trails so that kind of confirms the immediate action. This is a sad day for us and the numbers may be bullshit but the decision has been made.
I've been to tellico 11 weekends this year. The blocking rails have been laying in the woods beside the posts since they opened the trails back up in March.

We are taking my buddy's Ranger that we just finished next weekend (29th).
Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
GSW

Member # 40411
Quote:
These responses conveyed numerous issues, and are summarized in the Response to Public Comments, in the project file.
OK, the email I sent and the typed letter I sent don't fit into either of their tidy categories and neither of them were fawking form letters. Do those not warrant consideration since they present unique thoughts and ideas that don't fit their agenda?
GSW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 41137
Mine wasn't either but they used some tid bit that they could use to fill space that didn't have to do with the forest but with the local economy. Since it was in my letter I guess it's fair game.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 97879
I don't think those numbers are correct. After the cut off date and before they were all counted, I personally went to the FS office and Rick showed me the pile of letters, (we had much more.)
Rick at FS said someone from TU computer grab email names and sent them in one bulk. However, Rick said they would only count them as one.

EVERYONE, please don't give up on TELLICO.
We (sfwda.org) Rescue Tellico committee are on it. They don't say a lot on the website as we don't want the bad guys in on it.
I can say, you need to go on SFWDA.org use the FOURM, they want to hear from you. It motivates them.
nLets get not give up!
Heather Spivey is doing a great job on Fourms with good information.

Chuck and I (Helen) want to Thank everyone for your support in the past and in the Future.
Merry Christmas

Chuck, Helen & Beach Davis
www.tellicocabins.com
Tellico Cabins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 21215
Chuck/Helen, can you confirm that lower 2, 7, and 9 are closed?

Last edited by redneckengineered; 12-19-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 55622
I can also tell you that SFWDA, UFWDA & BRC are working this as we speak.
We will pass out info on what is needed as soon as possible.

We are not going to give up on Tellico.

Please be patient, and I would say, do not beat up the Forest Service too bad, but that won't happen.

Todd
Raceline Wheel
Currie Enterprises
BFGoodrich Tires - KM2's
Advance Adapters
navy-jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 21215
I just got off the phone with the actual ranger not the receptionist. He assured me the ENTIRE park (except for that small portion of 8 where the bridge is down) is open and will remain open until January 1st at which point the new closures will go into effect. I said I’m coming a long ways to ride and if I get there and 2,7, and 9 are closed I’ll be hot and he said bring it on and ride it’ll be open. We’re going this weekend baby!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 80521
Sure is sad that this is gonna happen
jonnyjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 97879
All trails except the small portion of 8 will be open until Jan 1st, 08.

Yesterday, the receptionist was giving wrong info and she is now giving correct info.
If we see any different I will post it.
Helen
Tellico Cabins
Tellico Cabins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 10184
Send a message via Yahoo to Bigcountry
Helen and Chuck I want to say thank you for supporting Tellico and us for many years and we are not giving up on Tellico and supporting. Please let us know when and where we need to support, give money, write letters etc. Thank you

And to all you people who did not write letters you deserve to never ride Tellico AGAIN. What did you expect was gonna happen. We have to ACT when things like this happen. NOW go support SWFDA and donate write letters and see what they can do but it will be a WHOLE YEAR before anything will happen. You happy now being that LAZY PERSON YOU ARE!!!!!! Thanks for nothing you 6000people that view this everyday and did NOTHING to help and now just go run these trails 1 more time and wait until 2009 to run them again.
Jimmys 4x4 2016 Pro 2" Chassis, Turnkey LS3 427, Culhane TH400, Spidertrax 4" Pro housings, Gearworks 10", BFG Tires, KMC Wheels, JE Reel shafts, Amsoil products, PRP Seats, Rugged Radio, King Shocks, Atlas Race Case.
JOHN 3:16
Bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 56263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry View Post
Helen and Chuck I want to say thank you for supporting Tellico and us for many years and we are not giving up on Tellico and supporting. Please let us know when and where we need to support, give money, write letters etc. Thank you

And to all you people who did not write letters you deserve to never ride Tellico AGAIN. What did you expect was gonna happen. We have to ACT when things like this happen. NOW go support SWFDA and donate write letters and see what they can do but it will be a WHOLE YEAR before anything will happen. You happy now being that LAZY PERSON YOU ARE!!!!!! Thanks for nothing you 6000people that view this everyday and did NOTHING to help and now just go run these trails 1 more time and wait until 2009 to run them again.
Amen
jeff still is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in