Pirate 4x4 banner

Samzukari

166K views 787 replies 61 participants last post by  sleepsontoilet 
#1 ·
Well I figured I would start up a build thread here for my little samurai buggy since I am bored and at work. Here it goes. Front and rear axles are Dana 44's from a scout with chromo shafts 5.13's and full spools. It sits on 37/14r15 iroks and champion beadlocks. Engine is a slightly massaged 1.3fi with stock 5spd and Sami case with 6.5-1 gears.The rear is a 4link I built with 1.25 ruffstuff heims on bottom with 2in .250 wall Dom uppers are 3/4-7/8 ruffstuff heims with 1.75in .250 wall Dom. The front is a 3link the previous owner designed with 2in .250 wall square tube and some type of Johnny joints. Rear has fox 2.0 14in air shocks and the front has some pretty shitty (but they work!) rancho coilovers. I just added a new psc p-pump and it has a psc orbital and ram. When I bought the truck it was full bodied and needed a little tlc. I have done everything on it myself in a tiny garage and if I ever build another buggy it will be on a frame table and from scratch. Trying to measure off a samurai's crooked frame rails is a royal pain. That is just a brief overview of the rig here are some pics starting with the day I brought it home to present.

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought I would post some older ones to show what it has evolved into. I should have just linked it from the beginning. I have had it since last October. I am not usually a fan of four seaters but my wife and I just made ourselves a little trophy and there needs to be room for him.

This was the only way I thought looked right to make the transition from the stock frame rail to tubing. Once again I should have built from scratch

I lowered the truck quite a bit when I redid the rear ideally I'd like to tube out the front and get the frame height to about 19 inches with the wheelbase at 106-110. Right now it sits at 21 with 106in wheelbase. It was 26 with a 98in wheelbase when I bought it.

And that's all I have for tonight my iPad just started acting up.

#6 ·
Once again I should have built from scratch[/QUOTE]

Fuckin amen to that. I kick myself every time I have to work around whats left of my stock frame.[/QUOTE]

Now that I am getting ready to cut the front frame rails off I am really regretting it

#11 ·
We traded rigs a few weeks ago. I've lowered the seats and added a steering quickener. I plan to finish out the rear floor, aluminum roof, and possibly fastback the rear cage. If a good deal comes up on stickies I'll snag them up.

My old/his new rig:
95 yj 6.0/350/atlas 4.3, 60 & shaved/trussed 14, 42s & H1s, jazz baffled bladdered cell etc

#32 · (Edited)
I would go with the middle one if that's my only choice. If it was me I would probably cut out both of the "B" pillars and rework that and the rear of the cage to look like RIKI's. The double b pillars and the angles they are at throws it off IMO. Doesn't seem too hard to fix those too while you are at it.

What size Krawlers are you putting on it?

#17 ·
Not really, since my son is so tiny at barely 40lbs I was thinking of putting a single preteen seat perpendicular to the fronts. I have seen a couple buggys on here done that way. Regardless the rear halo portion would still cover the seat. Similar to the rear caging on RKik's jeep.

I'm also ditching the RCI 2161 and going to a smaller cell. I would like to put it on one side and a swag offroad action packer setup on the other.

#19 ·
His jeep was built so stupid simple compared to the investments and bling some rigs go with, and will embarass them on the trail all day. Thanks for the suggestions, open to anyone elses opinions.

Got all the old fuel cell bracketry cut out and flappered smooth today so I can mount a new smaller cell.

#22 ·
Got the new cell in, and lower mount made. Just have to fab up something for the top to keep it secured. Added a pre filter and it wouldn't start, not sure if it was too restrictive or what the issue was. Removed it and she fired right up. Still need to swap the ricer exhaust for something quieter.

#29 ·
Thanks. The krawlers should be in tomorrow, picked up a set of steel allied 32 bolts for a steal, and added a set of hellfire fabworks mirrors. The 12" and 40" light bars from TWF come in Tuesday. The ruff stuff light bar like I put on the jeep and more threaded panel tabs should be in any day now. I also added a 2.5" magnaflow muffler, but it didn't quieten it by much. Maybe once the rear is floored out it won't be as noticeable.

#30 · (Edited)
Nice whip! I am in the exact same boat with the rear of my Zuk... I'm also not a fan of 4 seaters, but like you I now need a spot for our trophy. I have 4 linked mine front and rear, the front completely done. The rear is currently linked with tubing tied into the frame ( simular to how you did it ). I am also building off of a previous built rig. But, I have been stuck on the design of the rear of the cage... I can't wait to take my son wheeling, but man it sucks having to throw a seat in the back. I sure loved my 2 seater... lol. My build thread is Zuk on 42's

#33 ·
Sweet build

It was a 15 gal RCI 2161, and it's sold. I personally have ran a few with no issues. But if you run one, have it in a nice mount as they are prone to cracks and splitting at the welds. I tend to over build, but I like bladdered cells for the added security.

I would go with the middle one if that's my only choice. If it was me I would probably cut out both of the "B" pillars and rework that and the rear of the cage to look like RIKI's. The double b pillars and the angles they are at throws it off IMO. Doesn't seem too hard to fix those too while you are at it.

What size Krawlers are you putting on it?
Dave said that 2 of them came in today, assuming since they were shipped 2 and 2, that the others should be in mañana. I went with 37s, as I don't see the need for anything more. Brian built this thing well and I followed Ramon, Jason, Andy, and even Brian in the jeep I built. All but Andy were over 40. While it'd look tits on the 40s, I couldn't justify the cost. It worked flawless on iroks, I can't imagine krawlers. After selling my wheels I'm $850 into stickies. Everyone wants 3k for new treps and wheels.

As far as cage, it's staying for a while. It works and doesn't effect performance, just aesthetics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.