The Grand crawler/cruiser build - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Since my diesel is down, i drove my tracker up to cottonwood for a couple days of wheeling. Just drove there and back each day. First day was Smasher Canyon on Friday. I had a choice to either run the drit roads with one group or run Smasher. After some fighting in my head, i decided on Smasher. Boy has that trail gotten dug out with all the rain this year. We all walked through without much issue but the waterfall at the end has a hell of a hole in teh bottom now. Many of the samurais didnt have the wheel base and tilted right into the rocks, smashing a body panel or cage. i was long enough it kept the rig from three wheeling into the rocks but got high centered on the rear diff and needed a little winch action to get me up. the final ledge has been on my mind. i made it once and denied once in the past trips on that trail. I was gunna make it this time. needed one rock in a certain spot and to get the rig to be in just the right spot and finally walked right up it. buddy of mine has some videos but didnt get me making it. Took 5-6 tries.

Saturday i stayed home and Sunday i headed back up with the family. Wife, 3 year old and 4 month old. We ran Broken Arrow in Sedona. nothing challenging other than a couple spots i played on. no issues or breakage again.

Put a total of 400 miles on her driving up and back, pretty happy about that specially with the wheeling we did.

some drifting into the air down spot

couple vids of smasher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZD3sdDeeos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqpW6hhoR8M

This is the waterfall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epm9vKQbfi4

final ledge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGr2JHfbC5w&t=8s

Broken Arrow

l
chevy1925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 166598
ost my fender trim along the way lol

really dont have much in the way of fixing to do. just the fender trim. Gotta put my truck engine back together and then get back on the damn long travel
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 726945
:smoking:
Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #229 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289
Looking good!

These little trucks are fun. I just bought a mini-me mostly because of your build here. I will be shamelessly stealing lots of your ideas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

oober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Ha! No worries, you ainít the first
Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1925 View Post
Well i finally got fed up enough with the stock CV's, i said it was time to upgrade.

We had gone on a long trip up to Bagdad Mine where we would run some back roads to old mines and end up in the back side of Prescott. on the way to Black Pearl Mine, the road is pretty washed out and real fun obsticles. I decided to stay out them to keep the front end alive but another fellow zuker asked why in the world i was not following him... i was not urked about this situation lol.

So decided it was time to put the toyota cv conversion in ive had for this thing for the last 2.5 years. its by no means a bolt in for a 2nd gen but i could make it work.

Now the factory diff mounts are HUGELY in the way for the adapters on toyota CV's to work. My pass side has been clearanced already (as you can see in previous posts) but the driverside needed alot of love. i moved it away from the diff 1" and shortened it 1", i also lengthened the pass side 1" as the diff is not centered based off the axle flanges. adding the driverside stub to the pass side off set the diff 3/4" now. when i test fitted the toy cv, it was bottoming out before i could get the top strut bolt in. Moving it 1" away fixed that though its a bit much now yet the driver side is perfect so ill run a little 1/2 spacer on the pass side CV.

]
How much grinding did you do on the back side of the knuckle? I went to mock mine up and it looked like I would have had to grind the whole knuckle flat to make it work.

My shafts do have the dust shields still in place, so that may be a big part of the problem.

Any chance you want to make another pair of those collars for the spindle bushings?

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 07-11-2019 at 09:18 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
How much grinding did you do on the back side of the knuckle? I went to mock mine up and it looked like I would have had to grind the whole knuckle flat to make it work.

My shafts do have the dust shields still in place, so that may be a big part of the problem.

Any chance you want to make another pair of those collars for the spindle bushings?
yeah you gotta ditch those since the new setup will seal off the stub shaft.

i can make some but they wont be cheap. the material alone i used was 75 bucks for 6". these take 3" for both and couple hours of my time and time is real short these days, hence no progress on the tracker....
Old 07-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1925 View Post
yeah you gotta ditch those since the new setup will seal off the stub shaft.

i can make some but they wont be cheap. the material alone i used was 75 bucks for 6". these take 3" for both and couple hours of my time and time is real short these days, hence no progress on the tracker....
No worries, I was able to use the 1st Gen spindles.

$150/ft, what did you make them out of?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
No worries, I was able to use the 1st Gen spindles.

$150/ft, what did you make them out of?
ooohhh its some rrrreeeeaaaallllll good bearing bronze from aircraft industry. i shouldnt have an issue with them ever wearing out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in