The Grand crawler/cruiser build - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 166598
locker showed up yesterday. twice the size of the zuk one i put in the tracker lol. even has these nifty little pins to hold the spring loaded ends from popping out as you install it.

chevy1925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Took the tracker to Moab last week and beat on her pretty good. Brought spare stock front CV axles and spare rear axles knowing they are weak points. never needed them. we ran Hells revenge and i put the tracker through Hells Gate and Escalator. didnt get to try the hot tubs as it was getting dark. next day we ran Poison Spyder, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. Ran right up Double Whammy, cruised across the crack, took a few tries up the steep little play hill before you get to lauch pad but a 2nd gear hit from the bottom finally got it up, and really went up what ever i pointed it at. Last day we ran Moab rim and fin and things for fun, then hit potato salad hill at the end of the day. made it up that way smoother and comfortable over what the samurai used to be like. I really wanted to run Pritchett Canyon after i saw how capable this little thing is and stable but no one in the group wanted to run it.

then my ruff stuff order showed up yesterday.

just need to pick up steel and finish a duramax engine im building for a friend and she can go under the knife!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Have not started on the rear of this old girl yet though the 8.8 has migrated to my garage for tear down and rebuild.

and to add to "what i plan to do", the old girl is now getting a spinny thing. plan is 10psi of boost, intercooled, piggy back ecm to control timing and fuel, and injectors. Already have an AEM FIC 6 on the way to control everything and a set of supra injectors. its hard to get over the feeling of boost when you no longer have it! this little 2.5 ought to be good for 250hp at the crank after im done
Old 09-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 10686
Amazing build. Much more detail from now on please especially the new front. Did I miss something on the new engine after the damage ?

Last edited by Rabid Rhino; 09-17-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Rabid Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Rhino View Post
Amazing build. Much more detail from now on please especially the new front. Did I miss something on the new engine after the damage ?
No, its still in pieces in my garage. at this point, im holding off on rebuild till i get the suspension done and turbo setup done. Then ill get it rebuilt.

This weekend i got the AEM FIC in place. im getting it dialed in as the rig sits stock so i dont run into issues trying to boost it. also lets me learn the program and just what i can get away with. I also have a set of n/a supra 310cc injectors on the way (should be here today) that once im comfortable i have tuning dialed, ill throw those in and scale things back for them.

anyhow, wiring up the FIC wasnt all that bad. i was expecting worse. suzuki did some screwy things with the crank and cam sensor but got those ironed out (or think i did, wont know till i try adjusting timing). I have an issue with stumbling in higher RPMs i need to figure out. it may be tuning or it may need a resistor on the crank sensor to clean up the signal from noise. the FIC is very sensitive to noise on the wires and can think its the sensor saying more or less.

mounted the FIC under the stock computer. no place to put it other than the glove box and i didnt want to cut into it. cant put in the engine bay without wiring it in the engine bay and wasnt about to do that

some of the tables i get to play with

extremely simple compared to tuning with EFI Live for my diesel. reminds me of cummins UDC tuning :roflmao:. even has an onboard logging setup. only issue is ill have to build conversion tables in excel to convert the logged excel data into a graph i can relate to.

its definitely interesting how it works tweaks stock tables with lots of adjustability. biggest thing is figuring out how each table is receiving its data and setting it up accordingly, then plugging in numbers to the tables is the easy part. only thing i cant do is ADD timing, you can take it away for boost conditions but i was hoping to add timing to increase mpg and power some while N/A. i have found a few guys that have tricked the stock computer using the FIC to add timing but ill have to see if i can set my tables up to do that.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Stumble issue was fixed. had to run a different Z file. She runs like she did stock! now to throw my bigger injectors in and fool timing into advancing some so i can get a little more power and mpg before the turbo goes in.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #82 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 193461
You're my hero Jimmy. I'd seriously considering swaping one of those v6s in my shitbox sammy.

So get it all figured out for me and I'll copy you.

Do you know if the 3 speed autos will bolt up to them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwende is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Lmao! There is a lot I'm not posting here nor on ZOA lol. Too many sharks in the waters anymore these days.

I'm not 100% if it will bolt up. Send me some measurements of the 3 speed and a pic of the bell housing and I'll compare them to my spare trans and spare 2.5.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 166598
So got timing dialed in on the N/A tune. next is fueling. either way, there is ALOT left in the stock tune suzuki left out. im running a total of 7* advanced on 91 at WOT and in some cruise areas. its made a night and day difference in torque and bottom end. much better throttle response and mpg is up 2mpg across the board. cruises 75mph with a/c on and 20mph cross wind without down shifting or dropping speed on inclines. use to be gutless till you were over 3500rpm, now it actually has something to get moving. very pleased with this!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1925 View Post
So got timing dialed in on the N/A tune. next is fueling. either way, there is ALOT left in the stock tune suzuki left out. im running a total of 7* advanced on 91 at WOT and in some cruise areas. its made a night and day difference in torque and bottom end. much better throttle response and mpg is up 2mpg across the board. cruises 75mph with a/c on and 20mph cross wind without down shifting or dropping speed on inclines. use to be gutless till you were over 3500rpm, now it actually has something to get moving. very pleased with this!
Makes me wonder how much is left on the table w/ my 2.3L ... having never worked with any engine tuning software, how big of a learning curve is the piggyback ask unit to learn and tune? I would really like to add a turbo to my motor someday
Old 10-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
Makes me wonder how much is left on the table w/ my 2.3L ... having never worked with any engine tuning software, how big of a learning curve is the piggyback ask unit to learn and tune? I would really like to add a turbo to my motor someday
well thats hard to say on just how easy it is to learn. I first learned how to do custom tuning using EFI Live for my dmax years ago. took me about 3 years to actually be comfortable tuning big power out of it but its WAY more complicated than this piggy back computer is. getting it set up is the hardest part. you need to know how the injectors are fired (batch or sequential), how you want the tables to reference each other (MAP, MAF, ect), what style cam and crank sensor and then wiring it all correctly. the maps them selves are easy to setup. stock injectors you wont mess with the fuel map (unless you put bigger ones in). For timing, you will have to advance basing timing how ever much you want to max it to, then tell the aem to retard it the same amount of added base timing you put in (so if you added 7* on top of the stock 5* it was at, in the AEM you will put in -7* across all cells to bring it back to stock), then you start adding in timing from there (doing this would be best on a dyno so you make sure you dont get pinging and hp matches the added timing). Then there is a MAF table to trick the MAF signals coming to the computer and tables "A" and "B" which are setup depending on if you have both a MAF and MAP table and so on. if you are only speed density, you can make the MAF table change to work as a MAP table. Finally there is the O2 sensor table where you can trick closed and open loop tuning to change desired AFR range for all kinds of different situations. i have not played with this yet but will be soon as i get my wide band hooked up. you still need a wide band here to know where the voltage changes AFR and what voltage equals what AFR.

there is a ton of info that crosses over from the honda guys on setup and so forth. you just need to be very familiar with your engine setup and how it all works to make everything work together.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Been daily driving the old girl a long while. had to get my sand car ready for dune season and had a couple duramax diesel engines i was building in between there as well

beginning of december i started back on it. I took the front square bumper off and sold it. wasnt going to really fit with the direction i was going (prerunner). so i started on bumpers since i really needs a rear one and i needed to get a winch back in the front.

Cut off the old bumper tabs also Pulled my spare driver side cv to replaced with a new oreilly one for the time being. I'm tired of running to the junk yards and the toyota cv swap will start soon.

changed my HID lights out to LED. Also sanded and buffed them to get rid of the yellow.

Coming along.

all finished bumper wise. Just need to pick up some longer bolts to put the winch and fairlead in. Came out stronger than expected

all done and did a trail run through desoto mine

next was the rear bumper
Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Started cutting the rear crossmember out and realized it housed the gas tank mounts and some kind of top, gas tank braces.

Sooooo out came the fuel tank. Wound up moving it up 2-2.5" from where it was.

Then started back on the bumper. Needs lots more tubing and bracing but you see the general direction. There will be a bar that comes out to the back about 4-6" to make a step as well

Just about done. wasnt super keen on the corner guards at this point but left them to see how i liked them finished

Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Welded and painted. Top plate was cut out, smoothed and hole sawed for dimple die

And bumper all finished

i ordered another wheel so i can mount a full size spare and build a tire carrier. I also have lots of parts come in to start the front end LT kit. i need to build this first to see what kind of ride height i can achieve without steep CV angles. Then i can start on the rear 3 link.

Last edited by chevy1925; 01-09-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Tire carrier started and done this past weekend. This is mock up with everything tacked and before I built the swing set that will hold the carrier to the door and swing with the door when I open it. That way I have no extra latches to hold things together.

Video of how the "swingset" works for the tire carrier.

http://youtu.be/UDfanpbLzMQ

and all finished up. Just need to get the wheel in I ordered. Been using a wheel off the tracker for mock up. I added a roller to the bottom for support when closed. It's just an old bearing from a kx450 I rebuilt a couple years ago. Adding that tighten the whole thing up and it's pretty stout though time will tell. Gunna keep an eye on a few areas for tweaking.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 144624
Quote:
Tire carrier started and done this past weekend. This is mock up with everything tacked and before I built the swing set that will hold the carrier to the door and swing with the door when I open it. That way I have no extra latches to hold things together.

Video of how the "swingset" works for the tire carrier.

http://youtu.be/UDfanpbLzMQ

and all finished up. Just need to get the wheel in I ordered. Been using a wheel off the tracker for mock up. I added a roller to the bottom for support when closed. It's just an old bearing from a kx450 I rebuilt a couple years ago. Adding that tighten the whole thing up and it's pretty stout though time will tell. Gunna keep an eye on a few areas for tweaking.

That looks so nice! Keep the updates coming, I can't wait to start the build on the wifes 04 4-door!
ben.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 182723
this thing is pretty sweet. makes me want a 4 door sidekick again.

is there a writeup anywhere for the frame mods?
kris97ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 711425
Nice build. Wish I'd have seen this before starting my wj
Scoobynorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris97ranger View Post
this thing is pretty sweet. makes me want a 4 door sidekick again.

is there a writeup anywhere for the frame mods?
there is kinda something from zukiworld but it only has about 1/2 of what you need to know. nothing a little measuring and thought cant take care of though.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 166598
some more updates on the old girl.

had some issues with P0175 code. went all around the rig trying to find any issues that may have caused it. finally decided to pull my stock injectors for the upgraded flow ones bought a while back. put them in and adjusted fueling for them, no codes since and fuel trims are nice and even.

Then made a high idle setup for the tracker. A/c sucks at idle, compressor doesn't move the freon fast enough so it starts getting warm. Even if I just bump idle to 1200rpm it makes a difference.

Anyhow, I tried for quite some time to figure out how to just trick the IAC to giving me the idle I wanted. No dice. It's a screw type setup and isn't as simple as grounding or applying power to it to make it work. So I decided to hook up a bicycle gear selector to the throttle pedal. Works pretty damn well

And video of it working
[video=youtube_share;f2Ov09ortT0]https://youtu.be/f2Ov09ortT0[/video]

I had bought a few sets of walker evans beadlock wheels and 37s from Johnny Angel at UTV Underground. didnt need the tires or 7 wheels so kept 5 wheels and sold the rest. Walkers are my all time fav wheel, i have the OG ones on my diesel and wanted the OG style ones on the tracker as well. there are true beadlock and drilled for 5/8 stud soooooo changed all my studs to 5/8" studs as well. put some Cooper 305/65R17 tires on it as well as i didnt like how fast the KO2s were wearing. Then painted some things up and got ready for our annual ZP trip

few of the trip

Old 06-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Cracked the spare tire carrier on the trip. Right where I wanted to add a gusset and never did. All that hauling ass on dirt roads and rough roads did it in

So I sleeved the top tube inside, roset welded, and welded the inner edge. Ground the crack out and welded it up. Then put in a gusset and tried to make a nice radius where the two gussets meet. Also put some weld beads along where the bottom roller is to stop some wobble that I'm sure didn't help the issue.

Then a few days before a prerunning trip i had planned to scout some trails for a 460 mile desert trip, my rear main seal started dripping oil pretty heavily. so out came the trans and t-case. pulling it all wasnt bad, putting it all back in was another story.

Had it out in 3 hours taking my time figuring out where all the crap ran and how it connected.

Old seal was hard as a rock and the slanted ridges that help sling oil back into the crank case were about gone

This thing wanted to fight me tooth and nail putting it back together. I straighten out trans crossmember, then plated it. Should help it survive much longer as it is basically my skid plate under there too lol

Then started putting things back in. Had to make a trans breather tube to push into the case as you can't just get another factory one, go figure. Took care of that and slid the trans/tcase back in. Start putting the crossmember in and the new trans mount won't thread. Dicked with it for 15 min and pull it back out to find the Chinese decided to change the thread pitch from fine to coarse. Go figure, scrounge two bolts and back in business. Then missed an exhaust gasket, forgot a copper washer on the trans cooler line, had issues getting a trans sensor plugged back in, and shift cable is falling apart.

Everything is back sorted and fixed cept the shift cable but it's rigged enough till I get another.

Started it up and no leaks after running it and revving it for 20 min.

also put a new rear output seal in, new muffler (old one was starting to die) and made sure everything was 100% under there.

took it around the block and all was good, real test was the next day. 306 miles round trip and 155 miles of dirt/washes. never had an issue!

i was getting tired of having just not enough power to hold 70mph in 4th gear on hills and decent winds. I had fully planned to turbo the rig but i need torque and torque from a turbo comes at a price of mpg. I had done alot of searching prior to my decision on what route id go (built N/A motor or turbo) but couldnt come up with higher compression pistons than stock or some other things. Well i think i found a set of pistons that will work and give me a flat top style piston after a little machine work. i have them ordered and will see how they compare and if they will work. If so, i plan to drop the spare 2.5 block off i have and see if it can be bored to 2.7, i dont see why it cant based on the meat in the cylinder sleeves but i may be missing something. Then ill have a set of cams done as well to compliment all this. really liked to get over the 200hp mark of this little engine, if i hit 200rwhp, ill be stoked. ill take it to a dyno after its all done so i can tune it properly and get it all working well.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #97 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 193461
Have you figured out how to run this engine on propane for me yet, jimmy??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 166598
propane is gaaaaaaaay. its all about 110 octane buddy lol
Old 06-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #99 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 193461
Quote:
propane is gaaaaaaaay. its all about 110 octane buddy lol
Propane is 110 octane. And it's not 9 dollars a gallon!

Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Yeah but it don't make that awesome smell!!! It's all about the sssssmmmmeeeellllllllllllllll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in