OSP's Small-ish light-ish Zuk Buggy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Ju's Small-ish light-ish Zuk Buggy

I'll spare ya'll the long story. Short story is: making as light a trail-rig/buggy as I can based off of Zuk frame, toyota axles and zuk drivetrain. It's going to have manual power steering and my 34x9.5 swampers until budget permits full hydro and larger tires. Stock 1.3 EFI engine has treated me well so far. Might put something else in down the road. So far, I've got enough to get it going and since I've made some progress and it appears I've got momentum to make more, I might actually finish it so I've decided to contribute some entertainment.

Starting with a Sammy frame. Teardown of other Zuk to follow...

Rear housing is a donor so saved me alot of work. Only drawback is it's not IFS width and the geometry is not 100% what would be ideal for this build, but it'll work and I can replace it down the road if need be. As you can see, the trail rig got torn down to the frame to help with design referencing.

Extended the front of the frame at it's highest point to accomodating a 3link w/panhard.

Found location for front shocks for when cage gets built.

Couldn't do anything else until the cage was built and engine located so had make some engine mounts. Engine sits 2" lower and 5" rearward of stock location.

Cage is based off the Jesse Haines Pro Mod 2010. Of all the designs around it seemed the best fit: lightweight and easiest to hack together with my limited tools (bender + angle grinders). Aiming to hack the back of the zuk frame off this weekend and see how the air shocks fit in. *crossing my fingers* that I can fit the shocks in and my crusty Sammy gas tank.

Last edited by Ju; 12-08-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Ju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 127171
I dig it, clean lines.
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 63087
Send a message via AIM to AttemptingTJ
I like it. Nice triangles. I'm just about getting ready to hack mine up and do a pseudo cage/buggy thing
Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 193461
Looks good. Sub'd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwende is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 188843
Clean lines, I like it
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Confirmed that the gas tank will fit. Sweet! Lucked out on that one. The shocks should fit nicely right in front.

Having trouble with the lower hoop, tho. It needs to be as narrow as possible for the shocks to travel but it also needs to act as a reinforcement for the frame... it's a bit of a pita so it's taking a while just to make something fit and look sexy, too. Gonna mount the shocks first and see exactly what room I have.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Got the lower shock mounts done in the rear. Made an extra hole for adjustability. I'm not sure how much angle i should have on the shocks, but I should be able to easily build in some adjustability up top. As it is, I have 6" up travel... I think that's about all I have room for before the links hit the frame rails.

Last edited by Ju; 12-08-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 164049
Love this build!
smurfy90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
The front end is proving to be more challenging than I anticipated, but I think I got some momentum this weekend. Made a decent shock hoop and figured I'd design it with full-hydro in mind and just cut off the front end that holds the steering box when and if I get full hydro. The box is going to stick out like a sore thumb, but at least it will allow me to wheel and see if this hunk-of-junk is worth investing another $1500 for hydro and whatever else. Having the steering shaft run directly above the frame rail is making the hoops sit in less than ideal locations. At the moment, they are getting anchored outside the frame rail, but tilted inward to line up directly with the frame - so 23" apart. Having the hoops outside of the shocks would probably work better, but they would seem to interfere too much with my line-of-sight and one of my main goals is maximum visibility... we'll see how things work out. With the drive hoop on the inside, it's a real tight fit for the steering pump and brake booster.

Sux that the stock zuk radiator is biased to the passenger side, so the fan is too. I had to move the rad over to clear the upper control arm so the fan is not pointing at the rad in the ideal spot... never had a problem with heat, tho... so hopefully will be fine to get me going.

Last edited by Ju; 05-18-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
More internet time than garage time so only some minor updates...

Had to move the shock hoops to straddle the frame so that they didn't interfere with the steering column and also keep them inward as much as possible for visibility. seems to have worked out ok.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Nice lines
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Finished the front shock hoops and mounted the shocks.

Started on the tcase cradle. Will have 4 poly bushing mounting points. Since the tcase sticks down below the frame, my skid plate will probably not be flat, but have a bump. Bellow clearance might be as long as 17-18" with my half-worn 34" tires. That's probably about right if I move up to 37-40 tires down the road.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 203500
It is looking really good man!

The amount of frame in front of the axle is considerable, or so it seems...
Truggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truggy33 View Post
The amount of frame in front of the axle is considerable, or so it seems...
Yes, I deliberately made it longer to start with because I wasn't sure how long I needed. I'll be chopping it right where the steering box mounts and then when/if I get full hydro, even more.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Well, still pluggin' away. Recent work has not been photogenic but today was a milestone. I finished putting the front axle together and was able to mount all 4 tires for the first time. Still got a bunch of stuff to do, driveshafts, plumbing, and whatever engine setup troubleshooting awaits, but hopefully still on *schedule* to get it out of garage and up and down the driveway on its own within the next month or so, hopefully even before summer's up.

Last edited by Ju; 08-15-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 193461
Lookin good, it sucks when progress doesn't show. Its always the little shit that takes the longest anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwende is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Sonovabirchtree! Went to put the brakes on and noticed that these knuckles have been drilled to fit IFS calipers or something. I opted to use some other knuckles I had because the ones I was currently using in my wheeler were dried and rusty. Short story short: have to completely redo both knuckles, clean my old ones and rebuild. Guh... sometimes I wish life came with a fast-forward button.

At least I got something done today: Extended the steering shaft.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 99570
You're stepping the game up a notch, looks great!
Must take lots of figuring to execute a build like this from scratch.
What is your target weight?
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Ya, lots of measuring and ghetto geometry. Seems to have turned out adequately, though, and square enough to climb over a couple rocks.

I'm hoping to have it close to 2000lbs with the tires and rims in the pic. If it works well, I may upgrade to full hydro, 37's and beadlocks down the road, tho. Lightweight, low cog and high visibility is the goal, though.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 203500
It is looking real nice. I like the lines and front shock hoops look really good!

2000 lbs is a nice goal, but man that is a tough weight to obtain...
Truggy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Made a stubby intermediate shaft out of a shortened Sidekick driveshaft... hopefully it doesn't vibe too much. Cut one end off, shortened the other, pressed into place. Clamped 2 ways in a vice for some homebrew-allignment. It's not perfect, but pretty good for a first try and dirt cheap.

Ground one end to expose the sleeve

Shortened the other shafty end to about 2". Pressed together with a hydraulic press and clamped it down 2 ways to allign as best I can at home. Welded.

Voila! Homebrew stubby shaft.

Almost time to pull the mockup engine and install the real one. I also noticed that my Tcase arms are going to severly interfere with the exhaust tube placement, so I might have to redo the driver-side arms. :/
Old 08-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 101414
i like it
WOODZUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Built a wooden gantry out of some freebie wood that came with our house. Will find an engine hoist next time cuz the rope-pully is a POS and barely worked, and I only got the engine up about 6 inches, just enough to hold it while I disassembled the frame/leafs and rolled out the old frame. Nice to have the other half of my garage back, tho - now i can start another project. Just re-fabbing the driver-side tcase mounts cuz I forgot to take into consideration the exhaust tube. Should have the motor in by the end of the weekend. Still looks like I'm on schedule for a running roller by the end of the summer.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ju

Member # 145060
Putting it all together now. Got a short list of about 15 minor and mundane things to do before I plug the harness back in and turn the key for a test drive to see if this pile is worth finishing. hehe. Might be about a month away.

I had to make a quick and dirty Zuk-Toyota hybrid shaft today cuz my front Sammy shaft that I was planning on using in the rear was too long and I absolutely need something at least to turn the wheels for a simply test roll, so I stuffed a Toyota slip yoke into half of a Track/Kick housing. Might work. Might not. At least I'll get more slip travel out of this than the Sammy shaft.

Might work, might not.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 106273
Good looking build, like the plan as well.. can't wait to see the outcome on this rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in