Sbc 305 sm465 swap - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yello thing View Post
It's funny how people are quick to shoot you down in a "outside the box" idea I mean yj/tj guys swap in v8,s all the time and honestly aren't that much more heavy and do great on the trail I know for a fact I've wheeled with the them. But you post something looking for help and advice on a v8 samurai build all these fucking negative Nancy's come out of the wood work just to shoot you down. It's fucking hilarious. I AM NOT LOOKING TO BE SHOT DOWN I AM LOOKING FOR HELP. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY POSITIVE ADVICE FOR ME I DO NOT CARE. Thank you
Wow. Never thought I'd see the day when swapping a small block into something was "thinking outside the box"

Ask your high school buddies what they think you should do while at the lunch table today....

I gave you positive advice. Don't waste your time or money on a 305, use a 350 or a 4.3. You just want everyone to bow before you and your "outside the box" thinking... The point of asking for advice is to listen to it and make an educated decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you to the companies that have helped me out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RSWORDS; 01-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.
RSWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 730809
No rswords I'm listening to what your saying I understand a 305 is not the first choice but a master rebuild for that engine is only $200 of course you add another $100 for machine shop head decked and all that jazz but a 305 should be more then enough for a samurai imo you think after rebuilt if it's pushing 180 and that's not enough I can run different cam/carb/exhaust. The part that pissed me off was dirt track I'm listening trust me that's the whole point why I'm here.
Yello thing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 730809
It just kills me how rude people can be. My anger was directed at dirt track 😂
Old 01-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 730809
And what's wrong with a 305 anyway? Sure they are down on power but hell im not looking to race it. Hell I don't even wheel that hard the main point to this is cheepness and Chevrolet parts are everywhere and really v8 samurai..is just to cool haha
And the fact of later on if I ever want to get serious and have the chance to run larger axel/tires I have the engine that will turn them. Sure it's heavy that to me is the only down side.

Last edited by Yello thing; 01-24-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
Wow. Never thought I'd see the day when swapping a small block into something was "thinking outside the box"

Ask your high school buddies what they think you should do while at the lunch table today....

I gave you positive advice. Don't waste your time or money on a 305, use a 350 or a 4.3. You just want everyone to bow before you and your "outside the box" thinking... The point of asking for advice is to listen to it and make an educated decision.
A 4.3 around here is not only hard to find but when u do it's expensive around $500 $600 maybe they run maybe they don't.
And yes Sbc swapped samurai may not be "outside the box" but no one does them.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
As you can see I was expecting haters like rswords here 😂Anyway my reason for a 305 is its free
As far as the build goes IT WILL be going in my samurai I appreciate all your input if I can figure out how to post pictures I will and the build should be starting as soon as I have some time off work. And the Chevrolet axels thank you so much for correcting my mistake but not telling me what the fuck they are you are so useful my friend THANK YOU.
People are quick to judge and correct your mistakes but don't look to help you...
You are going to spend your time and money to put a piece of shit motor into your sammi, when their are cheap, smaller more powerful engines out there? You are a special kind of stupid.

With a v8 and stock wb, your rear shaft is coming to be crazy short also.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
And what's wrong with a 305 anyway? Sure they are down on power but hell im not looking to race it. Hell I don't even wheel that hard the main point to this is cheepness and Chevrolet parts are everywhere and really v8 samurai..is just to cool haha
And the fact of later on if I ever want to get serious and have the chance to run larger axel/tires I have the engine that will turn them. Sure it's heavy that to me is the only down side.
Same size, weight and parts price as 350, no where near as much hp potential. Just junk. Only worse small block is a 307. In realm of sbc, good are 302, 327, 350, and long rod 383,400.

Learn how to spell axle. Jesus fucking Christ!

Also how long before you graduate hs?

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 02-27-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
No rswords I'm listening to what your saying I understand a 305 is not the first choice but a master rebuild for that engine is only $200 of course you add another $100 for machine shop head decked and all that jazz but a 305 should be more then enough for a samurai imo you think after rebuilt if it's pushing 180 and that's not enough I can run different cam/carb/exhaust. The part that pissed me off was dirt track I'm listening trust me that's the whole point why I'm here.
What kind of machine work have you gotten done for $100?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
What kind of machine work have you gotten done for $100?
Block cleaned.

& Blaine

Old 01-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Block cleaned.
But he said "machine shop head decked and all that jazz"
Hell I don't know a machine shop that would touch an engine for $100...

Last edited by RSWORDS; 01-24-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
But he said "machine shop head decked and all that jazz"
Hell I don't know a machine shop that would touch an engine for $100...

But it was free so whatevz
Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Alright my uncle works at a machine shop (get a great discount) and like I said I'm planning to stretch of course not much becuase I'm staying sprung but my drive shaft won't be to shortened becuase I have a 2wd sm465 it's not much longs then the stock trans. As far as the 305 goes that engine will be in my samurai when it is done I will let you know if you told me so or not lol and (AXLES) what about stock (AXLES) from a 88 k5? I don't know how strong they are but they had a 350/sm465 on them. And yes I'm young but didn't any of you do anything stupid when you were young...and didn't you know everything?? I appreciate the input on the 305 but it is not going anywhere
Old 01-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Ok instead of me fighting all you guys off how about you tell me what I should do with what I have. No that does not mean saying "throw it all away and swap a 1.6" it's not going to happen
Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #39 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Alright my uncle works at a machine shop (get a great discount) and like I said I'm planning to stretch of course not much becuase I'm staying sprung but my drive shaft won't be to shortened becuase I have a 2wd sm465 it's not much longs then the stock trans. As far as the 305 goes that engine will be in my samurai when it is done I will let you know if you told me so or not lol and (AXLES) what about stock (AXLES) from a 88 k5? I don't know how strong they are but they had a 350/sm465 on them. And yes I'm young but didn't any of you do anything stupid when you were young...and didn't you know everything?? I appreciate the input on the 305 but it is not going anywhere
Don't forget, your engine/transmission/firewall are going to be moved back. I'll guess 6". If you ran a 4.3, you might be able to mount the trans in its stock location. The sbc is a ton longer, especially if using long water pump accessories.

& Blaine

Old 01-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
1500 suburban axles are junk for 90% of the vehicles out there.. Maybe not in a sammi, but if you have to put any money in (regear, lockers, lsd) start with something else. Also your sammi will be as wide as it is long.

We have all done stupid things as a kid. I turd polished and 8.2 10 bolt in a Camaro once. Not realizing that for $100 I've could've got an 8.5 and had a much stronger set up with a cheaper posi. Don't throw good money after bad by trying to save money upfront. Get quality parts that are upgradable down the road. It's much cheaper to spend a little bit upfront.

If I were you I would try to find a TBI 4.3L. Much fewer sheet-metal mods, lighter, fuel injected, about the same price, same power. A samurai V-8 swap is not a good first or second project. I would expect you have a lot of sheet-metal experience if you don't wanted to turn out like horseshit.

That's my been there done that wasted all my money as a kid advice for today .

& Blaine

Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Ok well I've saw v8 samurais with minimal firewall mods but I think il definitely look for a 4.3 while rebuilding this 305 if I can sell this engine and use said money for a v6 to bolt to this same trans I wouldn't mind doing that. As for axles these gm 10 bolts are free. At most they need brakes I've road in the truck they came out of and the dude is giving me a set of wheels and tires just good enough to roll around the yard for now. I completely understand not using 10 bolts if they are crap but if you think they are good for now then il atleast get them and see what I can do.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Crap I forgot these GM 10 bolts are 308 gears. That don't sound good to me. But if I could find cheap gearing and I'm pretty sure the guy said they are 30 spline not 28 as well
Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Along with 4.3s yotas axels are not only hard to come by but not cheap a (what the owner says is good running) 4.3 is around $500 $600 and I can't even find a set of matching yotas just rears out of IFS trucks
Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Along with 4.3s yotas axels are not only hard to come by but not cheap a (what the owner says is good running) 4.3 is around $500 $600 and I can't even find a set of matching yotas just rears out of IFS trucks
Out here, front yota's disappear from auto recyclers as fast as d60's. It doesn't sound like you have much of a budget, but I'd be tempted to go with the Tacoma rear and a trail gear front matching with.

& Blaine

Old 01-25-2017, 06:07 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Il have to do something. I can Get a rear all day long.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 166598
tbi 4.3 is only 160hp when new. gunna be less when its got 150k+ on it. the vortec 4.3 made 180-190hp. Difference is in the heads.

personally id run a 2.7 out of a XL7. lighter, fuel injected with decent mpg, 180hp from factory, still suzuki, and if you throw a different computer on it to tune it, it will really come alive. They are all over the junk yards out here and cheap.
chevy1925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Il definitely do some research on that 2.7. What about a chevy 2.8 v6s? The v6s that came out of the square body s10s? Thos are cheap and tbi=simple
Old 01-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #48 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Il definitely do some research on that 2.7. What about a chevy 2.8 v6s? The v6s that came out of the square body s10s? Thos are cheap and tbi=simple
2.8 with mpfi is 140 hp. Way less torque than 4.3. Uses different bellhousing and starter. I'd rather a Buick 3.8

& Blaine

Old 01-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 730809
Ok then no. I was just wondering I can get a whole truck with 2.8 good trans/Tcase for $500 that's why I was wondering
Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 730809
i wish I could get some input and pictures of v8 samurais. It's really hard to find pictures. The best I could find was that Sasquatch samurai build..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in